Home

Meat and you

Alegis

Originally posted by RayJones

theoretically yes. but practically it wont be much over 100 per burger i think.. ;D

I thought that over a bit after it was quoted in the movie (Bonus material on the DVD, interview with the author of Fast Food Nation). If the production methods are such that they deal with a high volume of meat to produce mass quantities of frozen burgers, then they likely employ some method of rolling the ground meat into endless ropes of beef, chopping them into small cylinders, then flattening them out.

Remember, McDonalds is the largest consumer of beef in the world (think how many restaraunts they have worldwide). They also advertised at one point: "one taste, worldwide" (or was this another fastfood chain?). You can't get one taste without reducing the variables that create differences. Some beef tastes sweeter, more bitter, chewier, fattier, etc.

I think considering production and desire to control taste variables, 1000 is a modest expectation.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

The movie is about how McDonalds is bad for you (in a nutshell)

It seems relevant enough in a discussion about meat since McDonalds serves meat.....

Meat??? So that's what that weird stuff they serve is supposed to be!

Honestly the reasons I went to fast food places in the past (when I was a kid) was to get the toy in the happy meal and to play on the playground. I can get better food at the supermarket, even if it is a bit "slower." My mom made us kids "egg mcmuffins" and they totally blew away the ones at McD's, so that started me down the path. ; )

Though I will admit, they had great french fries at Mickey D's.

I haven't eaten any real Spam since a camping trip a long time ago. It's actually not that bad, just a little salty.

Don't knock it, it's got it's own key!

Turkey Spam isn't half bad though. Spam, spam, spam...it's the meat in a can!!!!

Obviously the real thing is better though. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

Though I will admit, they had great french fries at Mickey D's.

LOL. In SuperSize Me, they did an experiment where they took a bunch of food from McDonalds and a hamburger and fries from "homemade" source, put them all in individual glass jars and watched over days as they decomposed.

Everything eventually rotted and decomposed except for the McDonalds fries. After well over a month, they still looked like the day they bought them. No decomposition. :D

Archived