Home

Postlude to Holocaust Part VI: Strangers

Redwing

Marin: I'm willing - *she gives a little smile* - if someone is willing to give me the training. I've seen others recieve martial training. It takes a long time...and I'd still like to be able to morph. I've had years of practice in that. Speaking of which: are you going to try morphing again? Or are you just going to leave that...*She fumbles for words for a moment* ...count it as just another one of those regrettable things that happened...then...that you can forget about?

*She pauses for a few moments, then looks directly at Heimdall*

Marin: If you do decide to pursue it, I'll be happy to help you. If not...well, I'd rather you didn't...well, experiment. This...well, this is an unnatural power, but it's been in my family for generations. It's almost always caused terrible things to happen - without fail if the power was given away. I'll be candid - I gave Aidan the power because I thought you might have been planning on killing us. I wanted to increase his chances of escape. You...well, you probably know why I gave it to you. To be perfectly honest, I never would have done it under...normal circumstances. But it can't be taken back, so my offer of help stands. Otherwise, remember that it's not...safe.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heimdall: Your training takes precedence over you helping me with this morphing. I also have plenty of tasks that I must finished, among them is making you a ring for your armor, and finishing repairs to our armor. When my tasks are over, and you gained at least a little proficiency with a blade I would love to take you up on your offer.

As far as someone willing to train you, your primary instructors will be Svafa and Idona. The rest of us will probide give you lessons if and when appropiate.

Marin: Alright.

*Nearby, Guy exits the Asgardried and heads back towards Heimdall and Marin*

Guy: I've been alerted just now that the captives are awakening. I'll bring them out and you can judge them for yourselves.

*Aidan emerges from the Asgardried after Guy, curiosity having apparently got the better of him, just as Raschel appears along the road returning from town. She notices Elaina with Tanara*

Raschel: Oh...We have a visitor?

Elaina looked away, uncomfortable. Tanara did not look away, but in sensing Elaina's discomfort, she turned her attention to her sister rather than answering Raschel's question.

"I did the right thing," Tanara insisted. Elaina shook her head.

"Did it hurt?" she whispered. Tanara's answer was immediate.

"No," she said quickly.

"Don't lie to me, Tanara," Elaina snapped. "You never were very good at it... unless you used the Force to help."

"Yes, it hurt, but what was I supposed to do?" Tanara demanded, now angry. "If I had not taken Kira from you, you would have continued to be supressed inside your own mind. Through you, she'd have continued trying to kill me. Should I have killed you, Elaina?"

"Yes!" Elaina exclaimed. "Yes you should have! Anything to keep you from harm."

She burst into tears and Tanara pulled her close, also crying.

"It's okay," she whispered. "It really is. I did the right thing. We'd both be dead if I didn't do it. You know it, too."

"I know it," Elaina agreed. Then, she turned to Raschel and attempted to speak through her tears.

"I do not know if I will be permitted, but I should like to travel with my sister," she said.

*Heimdall nodded in approval to Guy's intention with the captives before he returned to his ship. He then returned his attention to Marin*

Heimdall: I need to get Svafa, Idun, and Idona. Why don't you come with me, you can tell them yourself that you accept. Also I would like to know more about this Chere.

Marin: Okay. *She rises* Chere was...well, I don't really remember her well. It's been a year since I saw her. I met her when I was running from the Shadows and a sort of...street gang that Aidan had connections to sheltered us for a while. She was with them as well. But not really part of them...She usually sat apart, had a haunted look in her eyes. That's the only reason I remember her.

*Raschel interrupts the two, coming up behind then*

Raschel: Er...Heimdall? I'm not sure what's going on here but...Tanara wants to know if you'll allow her sister Elaina to travel with her. I...assume you know who she is and what's going on with them?

----------

Guy's Ship, Extraneous Hold

*Guy enters the hold and walks over to three linked cages in the center of the room. Only one occupant was awake, the girl in the image Guy had shown Aidan and Marin. She sat cross-legged on the floor of her cage with a stormy expression on her face. Adjacent to her was a boy with exceptionally light blonde hair, still unconscious. The final cage held the large, pale aqua-skinned gargoyle, also still asleep*

Chere: Well? Are you going to let me out now?

Guy: Aidan and Marin don't know you very well, it seems.

Chere: For crying out loud, I never said they did. I said I knew them. That doesn't mean I was their best friend.

Guy: Or ever spoke to them?

Chere: I did too speak to them! Well, Aidan. A few times...at least...c'mon, you aren't really going to leave me locked in this parrot cage, are you? I saved your freaking life!

Guy: As I said before, I have no way to verify that story. But I am going to let you out.

*A groan comes from the gargoyle's cage. The seven-foot-tall creature lugs himself up on his hands and knees, then looks up. He stares at the bars of the cage, then looks over at Guy*

Gargoyle: Interesting.

Chere: And you're not letting him out too, are you?

Gargoyle: Excuse me?

Guy: That remains to be seen. I'm taking all of you to meet the others...the fellow targets of your former captors. You can explain yourselves to them.

*The gargoyle shakes his head drowsily*

Gargoyle: So you did win out in the end...with my help, remember?

Guy: I remember.

*The hold splits open. The halo of glowing metal forms under Guy's feet, and a small section of the hold remains underneath the three cages, hovering in the air. The cages float after Guy, rapidly covering the short distance to the shore*

Gargoyle: You do realize I could have killed you all back there in the snow field...and I would really like to be out of this cage about now.

*The cages land in the center of the beach in front of the Asgardried. As they do, the remaining sleeping occupant of the three cages stirs. His eyes stay closed, though. Guy steps off the metal ring, which again vanishes*

Guy: Yes, I do realize that.

Chere: You ARE going to let him out? Last time he was out he tried to kill me!

Gargoyle: Some people take things too personally.

*Heimdall turned to Raschel*

Heimdall: No I am not aware of the situation with Tanara or her sister. However, unless there is a very good reason for us to bring her along then the answer will be no.

*Heimdall is interuppted from going on by Chere's interesting complaint. Turning Heimdall looks at the three occupants in the cage and listens to the gargoyle's response to Chere.*

Heimdall: So these are the three captives, I'm assuming that one *motioning to Chere* is Chere. Who are the other two and why should we let any of them out?

-----------------------------

*Svafa had seen Heimdall walking towards them and waved Idona, Idun and Gerd to stop. The four of them began walking towards Heimdall and Marin, arriving just as Heimdall finished asking his questions.

Idun bent over and spoke softly into Gerd's ear*

Idun: Go back to the ship and get the others, I have a feeling they should be present for this.

Gerd: Ok.

*Gerd runs off to the ship*

Guy: Yes. *Pointing to the boy* His name, I presume, is Cody Green. *Pointing to the gargoyle* K'Warra K'laar. I know no more than you about the first two. K'Warra K'laar I know is a powerful magic user who is very old.

K'Warra: Old? Do you see any wrinkles?

Chere: *frustrated* Aren't you supposed to be the 'white hats'? The good guys? Good guys don't leave teenage girls locked up in cages, do they?

*K'Warra smirks*

K'Warra: If you'd listened to me eight months ago, we wouldn't still be here. But no. You wouldn't trust me.

Chere: You tried to kill me! Twice! How on earth can you ask me to trust you!

K'Warra: Oh, don't act so offended. It was a simple misunderstanding. It's not as if I'm still after you.

Chere: Simple misunderstanding?! You tried to kill me!

*The boy wakes up at that. He sits up and looks around at the group owlishly without saying a word. His eyes are colored an unnaturally bright shade of green*

Chere: Cody? You're...awake?

*The boy stares at Chere, then at K'Warra*

Cody: Chere? K'Warra? What are we doing here? *He stares outside again* Why are we in cages?

K'Warra: Thank your short friend on the other side of you for that.

Chere: I told you, this wasn't my fault! If you hadn't been trying to---

K'Warra: Kill you, this never would've happened. I know. You've said it enough before. And by enough, I mean several hundred times. A day.

Chere: *petulantly* I so have not said that...that much.

K'Warra: I can help you. Whatever you're doing, you must know those nasty mercernaries could be back any time. This is from the other side, grant you, but it seems to me your blind friend hasn't done a very bang-up job protecting you from those highly unpleasant relatives of his. *He mocks a thinking pose* Let's see. If I recall correctly, it was me who saved you all a week or so ago. Wouldn't it be a bit ungrateful for you to in return leave me locked in a cramped little cage like this? Oh, and as for these other two, it would seem very unsporting of you to keep a couple clueless adolescents---

Chere: I am not a clueless adolescent.

K'Warra: Excuse me, one clueless adolescent and one brilliant, well-informed if a little spacy near-adult, in cages not fit for animals to live in comfortably, just because you're afraid they might make you stand on your head with their minds.

Chere: I cannot do anything of the sort! And if I could, I wouldn't!

K'Warra: Chere, my dear, how do they know that?

Guy: Among other things, these cages are shielded so mental powers cannot be used. As a side effect of this, I have no way to get even a general idea of what their occupants can do. However, I do know that these cages are created to hold beings which possess great power. You can guess the risks of either decision I could recommend.

K'Warra: In other words, you haven't got a vision to tell you the future of either choice?

Guy: I have not.

K'Warra: Ah, the reliability of a seer.

Guy: The girl, from what Marin and Aidan told me, doesn't seem to pose a danger. I cannot give an informed recommendation on the other two as I do not know enough about them. I would recommend waiting.

Chere: Cody isn't dangerous...why would Cody be dangerous? He's just here because...? *She trails off, making the sentence a question*

*Cody stares silently, wide-eyed and looking a little afraid. K'Warra grins at the "isn't dangerous" part of Chere's comment*

K'Warra: Let us think. Why would you keep a prisoner, who's nothing but a child, in an almost constant drugged slumber for eleven and a half months, if he's already in a cage that a dragon couldn't escape from?

Guy: I suppose you'd like to tell us the answer?

K'Warra: I don't need to tell you the answer. I'm only stating the obvious. Now ask yourselves honestly: how long do you really think you can keep us imprisoned like this? Do you know anything about the maintanence and upkeep of these cages? Do you have the resources to do it indefinitely? You could leave us to starve, of course. But as Chere so esoterically put it...you're the "White Hats". Unless our previous captors severely missed the mark in their assesments of you, I doubt that's happening. I advise you try for a win-win solution: You help us, and we help you.

((*Stops posting for the day before a new page is created and everyone is all "WTF" ;):xp:*))

*Drago arrives, having heard Heimdall's question.*

Drago: My Lords, Ladies. *He offers a slight bow to the Asier.* I would recomend not releasing the gargoyle, under any circumstances. He is totally lacking in conciense or honour. He'll stab you in the back as soon as it becomes "convenient"

*Matt finally got tired of practicing and went out. The halls were almost abandoned, and with a sense nearing dread he walked along them, until he finally saw Tanara and a girl he assumed was the sister she told him about. He approached them.*

Matt: Looks like I was wrong. She did manage to find us. I assume everything is OK now?

Archived