Home

JA/JAR Mod Source...

zERoCooL2479

Originally posted by Kurgan

So it's kind of like (I'm tired, but I think this works out), 25% of JA players have decided for the rest of us how we're going to play the game. Now you say, that is the admin's perrogative right? They foot the bill for the server, they should run things their way. But to say that the entire community sucks because of the actions of a few? It's just that most players can't afford to host their own dedicated server, and so they're forced to put up with the entrenched JA+ loving admin community.

but now that those 25% have driven the other ~75% out, they are the majority... yay! :(

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll they're not the majority (even as admins they are only half the admin community), but they effectively wield the power in the community, since they run the servers.

So half the servers out there, like it or not, run some version of JA+, meaning they have abusive powers and balancing issues. The number of servers running non-JA+ mods that change gameplay is rather small, at least last time I checked. So you have about half the servers running no "mod" at all (browsers like ASE can't detect things like skins or bot routes, it only detects code mods, like the ones we've been discussing, and I'm not even talking custom maps either).

I think your wrong about 50% being JA+... JA+ is about 75% of the servers. Then there might be 20% X-Mod or something like that.

Out of a few hundred severs, I would normally switch to BaseJKA (the switch at the top of the server list) and there might be 10 with players. Maybe 30 total, but who wants to play on an empty server?

And considering Honor N00bs normally just pick any random server, they sometimes land in the baseJKA server your on... and start trouble. Yes... trouble.

Im no exception, because I'll join honor servers just to attack em. There was this one in particular, got kick/banned out of there several times, but the next day they removed the ban. But thats beside the point. The point is, we have 10 possible servers to use. There was always one with about 10 people on it. The rest jumped from 2 -7 people. Playing with 2 people on those huge maps wasn't fun. You need at least 5, but when half the servers that I am willing to join have less than 5 players... your out of luck.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Ask Kurgan.

Too lazy... oh.. whut?

Okay, fine!

mediablitz:

Seriously, people don't get banned here for no reason (well, most of the time not!), so if you'd behave yourself maybe you'd stick around longer... just put in your time and you can come back. But the more you be a jerk about it, the less happy we are to forget it.

That makes sense I hope...

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

I think your wrong about 50% being JA+... JA+ is about 75% of the servers. Then there might be 20% X-Mod or something like that.

I'm basing my assumptions on day-to-day viewings of ASE (All Seeing Eye, a server browser) for JA (note: I don't have any servers "cached" these are all "new lists") randomly and over the course of a week. Your findings might be different.

Out of a few hundred severs, I would normally switch to BaseJKA (the switch at the top of the server list) and there might be 10 with players. Maybe 30 total, but who wants to play on an empty server?

Nobody wants to play on an empty server, though it is perfectly logical to do so, since once people "see" that there is somebody there, the chances increase that someone will join, and the odds continue to increase the more people that are there, that more will join, until it's full. That's why having bots with non-standard names help a lot to get your server full. ; )

And considering Honor N00bs normally just pick any random server, they sometimes land in the baseJKA server your on... and start trouble. Yes... trouble.

So far running my Siege server again I've gotten no honor noobs, period. I've gotten a few folks whining about the lag, and a few folks demanding that I lower the force regen time, and one guy complaining that "if this were JK2 I'd have won" but otherwise it's pretty much been problem free. Even a guy who yelled at me that my server was "gay" rejoined within a few minutes and continued to play for a long time. ; )

It could be that this is a Siege server, that automatically cuts down on the honorz type people who would try to join it, but still.

I wonder, do honorz people do this (the opposite of what I do), LOOK for a JA+ server and then assume it's going to be "Honorable" and join?

It could be that this is a Siege server, that automatically cuts down on the honorz type people who would try to join it, but still.

They don't join Siege because remember, guns take no skill. :p

I wonder, do honorz people do this (the opposite of what I do), LOOK for a JA+ server and then assume it's going to be "Honorable" and join?

No, because they think that JA+ is standard. Like you said, even server rentals come with JA+ already set up. Whenever they join a non-JA+ server they instantly start whining "wtf, no jetpacks or grapples, so ghey", etc.

Kurgan, what are your online names? Can you also list bot names?

I use "Kurgan" unless I'm undercover. So I'm not at liberty to reveal any "other" names I might use. ; )

As to the bot names, that would take too long, because OJP has a ton of custom bots. Likewise there's a few bots I've created, plus the DDS-Ibots I often use...

Suffice to say, they are LEGION!

'Amen,' to what TK said too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I ask Kurgan is because some dude said he was the server. When Ive played you, that I know of, your name is Kurgan. If your undercover, then... why would tell people your the server. It may have just been some random n00b... who knows, who cares. Check your log, lol.

I agree 100%

Knight, but I doubt Slider will ever come to LucasForums again... Im just happy LF isn't filled with a bunch of honor players. When honor players do come they don't stick around for long.

The reason I ask Kurgan is because some dude said he was the server. When Ive played you, that I know of, your name is Kurgan. If your undercover, then... why would tell people your the server. It may have just been some random n00b... who knows, who cares. Check your log, lol.

I agree 100% Knight, but I doubt Slider will ever come to LucasForums again... Im just happy LF isn't filled with a bunch of honor players. When honor players do come they don't stick around for long.

Well if you're in my server (Meatgrinder) and you see some text appear at the top of the screen:

server: <text here>

Then you KNOW that the "server" is talking. Ie: if an admin is hosting a dedicated server on his machine and he types some text into the dedicated server window, that's what people see in-game. "server: " and the text. It's in white too IIRC.

Of course there are other ways to do this too, like through ASE or through a web panel. But, the only person who can use this is the person with the admin password, and where my server is concerned this is ONLY me. So you can pretty much be assured that if the "server" is talking, it's me.

Anybody could theoretically join and claim to be "the server" but only I can actually use the server panel thingy. Or I can prove it to you in other ways by kicking people or changing settings, etc. ; )

Archived