Home

The One Year Thread Redux

hehe

well, no work tomorrow...so i kinda got screwed over there...so it's bitter-sweet...least i won't be wishing it was monday to get this computer. :)

I installed Hitman 2 on this and i have my surround sound on, and note...never played a game before in true surround sound, and i walked past a pair of pigeons and nearly shat myself. :D

I do need to buy some more ram though...galaxies lags a bit.

now all i need is Postal 2 and i'll be good to go. :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kewl.

I have an ancient copy of Cubase that records multi. But the editing options once you've tracked are almost nil. I guess I could export an individual track into Sound Forge... but that would suck.

So I mostly use it as a sequencer... or would, if I had ever bothered to reinstall it after my last reformat.

I'd like to get Nuendo... but it's expensive.

I'll probably end up with one of the versions of Pro-Tools LE that comes with the control surface or input box.

What are you using?

I use Finale for writing and testing MIDI stuff. I use n-Track Studio for recording, mixing, effects, and all that audio stuff. I also Cool Edit 2000 for wave editing (and actually recording usually, too). I'm just more familiar with it since I've only had n-Track for a month or so; I may quit using it once I get more into n-Track.

Finale is professional-level software. Engraving is a large part of what I do when I compose a work, since I usually write classical-type stuff, and even when I don't, I tend to work that way anyway, since that's how I learned from childhood.

As for n-Track, it does anything I can think for it to do, so it must be pretty good. I'm not a pro studio guy/audiophile, though, so I can't tell you much more.

I used Finale in college, but I never got very good at it. It was actually too powerful for the amount of music writing that I needed to do, so I ended up doing most of my charts and lead-sheets out by hand. My written notation was actually very good. I think it was the background I have in mechanical drafting that helped there.

I haven't bothered to writing anything out in a while, so it's probably not as good these days...

I used to use another notation software too... I think it was called "Encore." It was to Finale what Word Pad is to Word: It did the basics and was enough to get down quick ideas and sketches without having to get deep into a full Finale session.

I don't know if they still make it.

I've used Cool-Edit, and it's a pretty hip program for the cost. I've recommended to a number of people wanting to get into recording on the cheap.

The biggest downfall with it (or at least the versions of it I've seen in the past) is that it doesn't have the number of plugins available to it that Logic, Cubase, and Pro-Tools have written for them. Granted, I haven't used it in a while, so that may all be different now. But the straight-up recording/ editing side of the program was as deep as versions of Pro-Tools were at the time.

I've never used n-Track. I'll have to look that one up.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a PC just dedicated to studio purposes, with the latest versions of Cubase (for MIDI/ sequencing) and Nuendo (for recording/ editing audio) on it, as well as perhaps Reason, Acid, a mastering suite like Sound Forge, and Finale or something like it.

But until I start making a lot more money and get a bigger place, I think I'll have to find something that will do a lot of those functions on the cheap, and on my main PC.

1/30/05

I watched a couple of movies today, too. It was my M. Night Shyamalan retrospective day. I watched "The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable" back-to-back. It was fun watching them again after all this time since I had forgotten a lot about them. It was also cool to go back (now knowing the endings) to pick up on the intricate detail and subtle clues and hints he weaves thoughout his productions. He is quite the craftsman,.. although I would like to see him do a straight-up tale without a big twist at the ending.

Other than that I cleaned out and re-organized a couple of my kitchen cabinets. I also shoveled out a space in front of my house for someone park on the street if needs be, and cleaned off much of the sidewalk that I haven't been able to get to until it melted down a bit.

Originally posted by edlib

I used to use another notation software too... I think it was called "Encore." It was to Finale what Word Pad is to Word: It did the basics and was enough to get down quick ideas and sketches without having to get deep into a full Finale session.

I don't know if they still make it.

Actually, I used Encore for years, and only very recently upgraded to Finale. They stopped making it several years ago, and were bought by some other company. They fianlly got around to releasing a new version just recently, but I didn't bother to try it.

As for Pro-Tools, yeah, I used the free version of that for a while. Obviously not as powerful as the full version, but I got an idea of what it could do.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a PC just dedicated to studio purposes, with the latest versions of Cubase (for MIDI/ sequencing) and Nuendo (for recording/ editing audio) on it, as well as perhaps Reason, Acid, a mastering suite like Sound Forge, and Finale or something like it.

But until I start making a lot more money and get a bigger place, I think I'll have to find something that will do a lot of those functions on the cheap, and on my main PC.

I wanted to have a PC just for that, but I gave up on that idea, because I don't really need it. My PC now does everything I need it to do. I record all my stuff on a Yamaha MD4 digital recorder/mixer, and transfer it to the PC from there. Works for me.

1/31/05

Well, weve made it through a whole month on this thread... (only 11 months left to go...) with about 200 posts to show for it. If we can keep it going at this rate this thing will have over 2000 posts by the time were done.

Heh heh heh... I bet we'll break the whole website.

:joy:

Uh,.. whatever happened to the guy who started this thing? Shouldn't he be around to gloat?

Riiiiight... :dozey:

You can kill me, but you can't kill this thread... it's all the active threads on this board right now!

It has become sort of a catch-all clearinghouse for whatever people want to talk about here, hasn't it?

Why bother starting a new XWA thread when you can post whatever's on your mind on this one?

Hmm.. I hardly can argue on this one.. Why even bother go somewhere else at all? Everything should be discussed here.

Uuuuhh.

05/02/01

All the snow that came during the last week is 'g' like gone, 'f' like far away and 'n' like not returning within the last rainy night. At the moment there is a beautiful sunset and cloudless sky i can see sitting in front of my computer. I guess it's time to leave work now and get my daughter from the kindergarten. And since my girl will go out tonight, my evening will (after the little is in bed) look like 1 pizza, 1 desperados tequila flavored beer, 1 joint, 1 notebook and 5 linux installation CDs and/or the winex sources. That or i will simply consume the Spongebob movie since TV definitly sucks except for wednesday when Stargate is on air.

Better? ^^

I've been playing star wars galaxies all day...oh it's february, so i got to change my calendar. :)

This computer is reaaaallly nice...I really have been missing out on alot of good games. :( but am glad i can play them now. :D

Work is going slow...last night was easy, all i had to do was put an x mark on cardboard boxes. stupid people not realising they were using the wrong stickers on the bottles...so we have to put stickers over top of them...like 11,000,000 bottles...which is about 11 months work. I'm not really complaining though. But it would be nice to go on to a different project. sick and tired of seeing listerine bottles!!

I've got my pictures on the computer, but.......alas, I've realised having been stripped of mod status, that I can't use attachments. :( (that was the only real perk of being a mod)

edit: they better not take away my post count! ;) I'm catching up to redwing!

Originally posted by edlib

Or get in touch with Nitro... he claims to have server space to spare.

Oh, I can second that, I also remember something like "we've got bandwidth coming out of our asses". But as i know Nitro, there goes nothing in case you wear any kind of throusers on those photos.

Err, yesyes, I know because he hosts some of my pictures.. :D

SO, Rogue15, your mortality theoretically compels you to use http://www.photobucket.com completely for free? Aawwww.

2/1/05

Dawn of a new month. Yay.

WARNING: VENTING ABOUT WORK!!!

Mixed 5 bands at work tonight. Some of them were OK, but none of them were great. A couple of them kinda sucked. All of them were too loud.

It was, for the most part, garage-band rock. I really dislike garage rock... unless it's actually in a garage,.. and I'm doing the playing. Other than that I don't find it interesting to listen to. Whenever a band comes in and starts strumming fast 8th-note downstroke full-6-string barre chords though a fuzz pedal into an already distorted and too-loud amp, and where the drummer bashes away as hard and fast as he can on every song, and it all sounds alike,.. I know I'm in for a long night.

That's when I jam in the ear-plugs and sit back and make it as loud as they want it and try to keep the feedback to a minimum.

The other thing is most of these bands had kinda crappy gear. Cheap guitars that won't hold a tuning... bizarre off-brand amps that buzz and crackle... horrible sounding fuzz pedals that they seemed to have difficulty getting to work.

Why anybody would want to cart that type of stuff around with you when there's nice sounding gear out there that works and that isn't all that expensive is beyond me.

But why anybody would want to play that type of music is also kind of beyond me too... and I guess the gear goes with the image and the music...

Bleah.

Give me overblown prog-rock bombast or jazz-fusion egghead pretentious noodling anyday. Something with some hamonic, rythmic and melodic complexity and intricasy... something with lyrics I have to think about and that might actually serve to uplift me rather than compound my navel-gazing, shoe-comtemplating tendancies.

END RANT

hey thanks for the link!

:D

now i can get my pics up in here...

pics of myself...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/louiskevlar2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/watchchildren.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/louis1.jpg

pics of the snow and various places around the place i live called Lititz, PA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/chocolatefactory.jpg (chocolate factory)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/creek.jpg (neat little creek that runs through lititz think it's called lititz run or some **** like that)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/woodstream.jpg (woodstream corporation...they make pest traps...i don't know why they put barbed wire around the place, i mean..couldn't someone just crawl under the bridge?!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Kioet/steinmanarts.jpg (steinman arts center...never been in that place...right next to it is linden hall school for girls and across from it is the first pretzel factory to be made in america)

anyways...enjoy the pics.

Err. Except for the first one it says "account is private". Did you use the links they provide you in the album? I'm not sure if you simply can copy-paste the browser address.. I've never tried though..

05/02/02

Ha. February 2nd. I am faster than all of you still February 1st typees. :xp:

Oh, what a night! :D I ended up playing Diddy Kong Racing on my N64 emulator.

Yeah... I couldn't be bothered to post last night... I got home too late and was too tired.

2/3/05

Did sound for a gospel/ R&B type band. Too many vocalists. There was 1 lead vocalist and something like 11 (to occasionally 13) background singers, who all had to have thier own mics. Trying to blend that many singers at the same time and not have them overwhelm the lead singer (not to mention the band) is never fun.

The rest of band was big too. 3 keyboard players (piano, Hammond organ, and synths) plus guitar, bass, drums, and percussion... all playing the pretty much the same thing at the same time, behind all those singers.

It's nearly impossible to not have it all turn to mush (not to mention get too loud too fast.) Too many things fighting for the same frequency ranges.

I really wish "Less-Is-More" becomes a concept of arranging that some of the band leaders around here adopt. This "Cast-Of-Thousands" crap has got to end.... but nobody wants to tell thier friends they can't play with them, so we end up with dozens of people on stage complaining about not being able to hear themselves clearly in the monitors, which are already so loud as to be feeding back most of the time.

The less people on stage, the better I can make it sound.

I dunno, I find it an easy concept to fathom,.. but nobody else seems to get it.

Archived