Home

The One Year Thread Redux

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i go out and buy those cheap disposable cameras. they're easy to carry around without worrying about losing $500+ worth of equipment....and I can get the pics on a cd...*shrugs* computer right now would die if i'd install software for a digital camera on it...

Tse. It's like connect it go to the usb drive and copy it. Who the hell uses "350+ MB not practically usable camera software"? mwahaha. *dies laughing* *resurrects* *pats linux system with tons of practically useable free software* *dies laughing, again* .. *err.. retarded, y'know?*

[edit]

(Also, why pay and develop the whole film, just to find out there is only ONE useable/good picture on it? It seems to me like paying for a whole night just to get one premature ejaculation. Naah. :D)

1/24/05

Slept in late, since there was no work... and no trash pickup to worry about today.

Went out to finish cleaning up and warm up the car.

Took a drive around to see the damage... it's really a lot of ******* snow! I totally lucked out... most of my neighbors are still tunneling out from snow banks as high as thier front doors.

People kept getting stuck on my street all day, including the mail truck. Finally the city sent a backhoe to clear some of the huge snow bank that were keeping the plows from coming back.

Watched the "Mac Arthur" DVD. Was a little less exciting than I had hoped. Played more like a made for TV movie... maybe something they'd show on the History Channel. Educational... but a little dull.

Have to try to get to work tomorrow. That should be an adventure.

Wish me luck.

1/25/05

Well... there goes my streak... I'm posting this on the day after it happened. I knew it was bound to happen.

First real day back to work, and what a doozey! A huge setup, (25 strings, 11 horns, piano, bass, drums, guitar, 2 huge orchestral percussion setups, etc. etc. etc...) with less than an hour to figure it out, and absolutely no information about how they wanted it set up. Of course, almost as soon as we started putting out risers and monitors, band members starting arriving and started getting in the way because they wanted to warm up. We didn't have time to finish setting up and plugging in all the mics before they started playing... fortunately it was only a rehearsal... but still it was a major cluster****!

We were supposed to have set this up and had a rehearsal on Monday as well... but it was all cancelled because of the blizzard... so they did a double practice last night and kept us there after 11. Unfortunately, the guy in charge of the concert is my boss' boss... so what could we say about it?

Then the commute home was a blast. What normally takes 45 minutes (to an hour at the most) took over an hour and a half due to a broken train ahead of us. I walked through my door close to 1am.

Went straight to bed (the reason I never got to post this last night.)

Now it's snowing again! Another 9 inches by tonight. :rolleyes: I really doubt they'll cancel work at this point, no matter how bad it gets. Everything is all set up, and the concert is on Thursday, so I'm sure they're gonna go through with the rehearsal tonight, although if were lucky they'll keep it short.

I'm supposed to go in and meet with somebody at noon about a show next week, but I'm gonna blow it off since I have to clean up outside yet again and I'd never make it on time now, and I really don't feel like going in too early if they're going to keep us that late again anyway.

I have an appointment scheduled for UPS tomorrow....might get that job...it's part-time, but the benefits are what i really need. hopefully it's not too bad...the job description is 'package handler' like wtf. as long as they don't make me wear an uncomfortable uniform i should be fine. hmmm....this is going to be interesting calling off work at my current job...as long as I just hope I don't get fired, and then not get the job at UPS. that would really piss me off. (especially since i've almost cleared the xmas debt...just this week and next week........and it'll be payed off........)

anyways.....my mom called and said she ordered the computer...so it should get here by next week probably next weekend.

I'm a little nervous about getting a new job but excited at the same time...the current one is SOOOOOOO repetative!!!

We'd be doing something different if the idiots didn't use stickers from johnson & johnson on the listerine bottles...so now we have to open up a million boxes, and put stickers over the top of them so listerine or jay group doesn't get sued. it sucks, all i did yesterday was take a knife and cut like a million of those plastic things....

Been playing GTA 3 and a little bit of KotOR while waiting patiently for the new computer so I can play Galaxies.

Description

UPS is hiring individuals to work as part-time Package Handlers. This is a physical, fast-paced position that involves continual lifting, lowering and sliding packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Part-time employees usually work 3 ½ - 4 hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays.

Package Handlers receive an hourly rate of $8.50 – $9.50. UPS part-time employees also receive an attractive benefits package. Please note that these opportunities are part-time only working approximately 17 1/2 – 20 hours per week. Employees can expect to take home between $110.00 and $150.00 each week after deductions have been taken for taxes, etc.

meh... at least i could pay for classes at a tech school if they give me that $3000 a calendar year. XD

1/26/05

Work was cancelled before I could go in. The school was closed around noon.

More snow. Oh joy.

Will it ever end?!??

The Thursday show we busted our asses over yesterday was postponed until April sometime. Nice that we don't have to face it tomorrow night now... but the idea that we have to go through all that once again later is not really a pleasant one.

Is it just me, or does the term "Package Handler" just sound wrong? It's worse then my friend, the Box Stuffer... That job description you posted was borderline homoerotic. :p

This is a physical, fast-paced position that involves continual lifting, lowering and sliding packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs.

:firehead:firehead:firehead:firehead:firehead

Flaming...

Well, just imagine you're the guy working at the candy factory whose job it is to get the product ready for shipping...

Q: "So, Bob, what do you do for a living?"

A: "Uh,.. I pack fudge."

Another job that could be fun is "Ball Inspector" at a sporting-goods company.

And what about the guy at the barrel-making plant whose job it is to ream out the bungholes?

OK, I'll stop now...

:joy:

hahahaha i know a guy that works at 'wilbur's chocolate factory' here in lititz. lmfao...

io gonna go pick up my paycheck today...and go get my pics developed. XD

edit so i am not spamming:

I went to the UPS place...well, they had ****ty hours, and full-time wasn't available unless you planned to work like 6 years at the place. i'd have to give up an easy full-time job to work in unfun weather conditions loading and unloading trailers. so i walked out before the HR person could do the tour. it sounded alright until she said the hours and that i'd actually have to go inside the trailer. **** that.

1/27/05

"There's a fine line between 'Winter-Wonderland'... and 'Frozen Hellscape.'"

:rolleyes:

Got up before dawn to shovel out. That's always fun.

Slogged my way to work today. Slop city.

Not much doing there... we tore down all the gear we set up the other night. Then we updated the software and firmware to our digital system processors.

That's always scary... it's a Windows-based system, and doing that kind of update always gives me an uneasy feeling. It's one thing to have your e-mail machine go down because of an update gone wrong... and another to have a full P.A. system dead because the power got interupted during what is essentally a BIOS flash to the main EQ of the whole shebang.

Everything went smoothly this time however... and the new version of the software has some cool features we've been asking for.

The commute home was brutal. A lot of delays and breakdowns on the train lines, so a lot of people were forced to wait longer than normal for thier train. It's been a long time since I've been on a train that crowded. I'm not claustrophobic, but I hate being in crowds like that.

1/28/05

Yup, it's a freakin' mess... now it's stupid cold, too.

I didn't feel like leaving the house today, so I didn't.

Anything that I really have to get done can wait until it warms up and melts-down. Nothing's too inportant that I can't put it off until I can walk on the sidewalk, find parking, or see down the street when I try to pull out into traffic (right now just about every intersection around here is blocked by massive snow drifts or piles of plowings.)

my computer arrived yesterday, so of course, work went slow as hell for me...and i find out i'm working sunday as well (which is double-time so it kinda makes up for my 2 missed days, which is cool), so now i'm gonna be like 'augh' at work wanting to come home and play some games i've been missing out on...installed Galaxies, it's pretty cool, pretty much what I expected it to be like. Nice graphics, though I need 500mb more ram so it doesn't lag as much.

Other games I'm gonna check out...

Postal 2 -played it on the old system, and it was awesome, even with graphics turned all the way down...never laughed that hard from a game before.

1/29/05

Mmmmmm... new computer. (*Drool*)

Congrats, dude!

I have to get on the ball with building a new one for myself.

I really want to play KOTOR, and this one won't cut it. I could go out and get an XBOX... but that seems like overkill just for one game.

Besides, I already have a Gamecube and a stack of games that I really don't play enough. I can't justify having an XBOX sitting next to it, at least not until they get cheaper.

I'm also thinking about getting into multitrack home recording, and while this one could do it, a new one will perform so much better and give me more options.

Besides... I just really want a new one! I want to run the graphics on all my games at maximum too!

Now I just have to get off my ass, tap my savings account, and do something about it!

Archived