Darth333

How to install mods?

1. PC version cheat codes

2. HOW TO INSTALL MODS

- installing

- uninstalling

- conflicts

1. PC version cheat codes:
    Cheat? Why cheat? Some mods will require you to use cheats to either use new items or access new areas...and if you want to start modding you'll find cheats very useful...unless you want to play the entire game just to test a mod on the StarForge...

To get the pc version cheat codes and instructions on how to open the console, please refer to this thread in the Padawan's Lounge. .

2. HOW TO INSTALL MODS:

Installation

NOTE: If you are installing mods for TSL, start by creating a new folder called Override in your C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 directory (Kotor already has an Override folder). You need to do this only the first time you install mods.

File compression formats
    Modders normally pack their mods with either winzip (.zip), winrar (.rar ) or 7zip (.7z)

You have to decompress those files before being able to use the mod. If you drop a .zip, .rar or .7z file in your override folder, nothing will happen. In order to decompress the files you need one (or more) of the following utility:

• Winzip: while Winzip is the most known file compression/decompression utility, it is also the most limited: you can only use it to decompress .zip files. You cannot decompress .rar or .7z files with winzip.

Download winzip here: http://www.winzip.com

• Winrar: winrar allows you to do the following:
      pack/unpack : RAR and ZIP files
      unpacking only: .7z, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, BZ2, ACE, UUE, JAR (java archive), Z, TAR.GZ and TAR.BZ2.

Download winrar here: http://www.rarlab.com/

• 7-zip: 7-zip allows you to do the following:
      Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
      Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS

Download 7-zip here: http://www.7-zip.org/

(Mac OS X users can use BetterZip to extract KotOR mods from 7z files.)

• StuffIt Expander: stuffit expander can allow you to expand compressed files of the following formats (7z format not supported):

SIT, SITX, ZIP, TAR, SEA, EXE, HQX, GZ, TGZ, LZH, MIME, RAR, PF, UU, UUE, Z, BZIP, ARC, CAB and YENC

Download stuffit here: http://www.stuffit.com/win/expander/index.html

First of all, always begin by reading the readme that comes with the mod, even if you are an experienced modder. Several mods made or modified after May 25, 2005 use stoffe's TSL patcher which will take care of potential conflicts and automatically install the mod for you. If the mod uses the patcher and you simply drop the files in the Override folder, then the mod won't work...so read the instructions! Installing a mod that uses the patcher normally consist in simply double clicking an .exe file....

Otherwise, if the mod doesn't use the patcher, then follow these rules:

For the vast majority of the mods, you simply need to extract the files to your Override directory located by default in C:\ Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR but there are some exceptions:

- files with a .mod extension go into the modules folder

- .wav files go into a sound folder: follow the authors instructions concerning this as the destination folder may vary.

- .lip files (lipsync files) go in the lips folder.

- If a .tlk file is included in the download, then it goes directly into your SWkotor diectory WARNING! replacing the .tlk file may change the language of the game. Always backup your original .tlk file before replacing it. (I noramlly rename the original dialog.tlk file to dialog_o.tlk - the "o" stands for Original and then I drop the modified dialog.tlk file in my SWKotOR folder).

In any event, modders normally include a readme file with their mods: this is where you should always start (in fact modders should always include a readme - to those who don't... :lightning Remember this when you start modding ;) )

I have one recommendation when you install mods: keep a backup of your saved games in case something happens or save often and keep a good amount of saved games ( I keep savegames of my arrival at each planet, before leaving the Ebon Hawk and at some major points as well - if you start modding, you wont regret having extra savegames at strategic points in the game for testing purposes).

Uninstall: Just delete the files. Some mods come with an automatic installer and maybe removed via the Add/remove programs function in Windows.

Conflicts: Some mods don't like each other but don't worry, those problems are normally due to the fact that two or more mods are using files with the same name. Most often it's a .2da file conflict that occurs when you have two mods using the same .2da file (per example: appearance.2da, heads.2da, spells.2da, portraits.2da). cchargin released a tool called Kotor Mod Manager (KMM) that allows you to check for conflicting mods and exclude one of them. You can download cchargin's Mod Manager here. Note that KMM won't make mods compatible. It only allows you to detect conflicts and exclude some mods.

There are 2 1/2 solutions to 2da conflicts :

a) If you are lazy: identify the 2 mods using the same name (hehehe nothing can be done without a bit of searching :p ) and remove one of the mods from your override folder. (that's the price to pay for being lazy :D ).

b) My favorite solution :dev11: : you plunge into the world of modding, get Kotor tool (KT) and Microsoft .net (see "What do I need to start modding" below). Don't be afraid, this is a simple operation.

Just for the example, we will use the appearance.2da files but all the .2da files work the same way - if you understand how to do it with this one, you'll be able to do it with other .2da files

-->Open the apperance.2da file with the 2da file editor that you can find in the file menu of KT and load the problematic file. Or you can double click on the original .2da file in BIFs >2da.bif >2D Array.

-->Step 2: check this thread

If you are lost and want a simple and step by step example on how to edit an appearance.2da file, I suggest you download svösh's Revan redemption robes and follow the readme carefully. It's well explained and very easy to do. Download svösh's mod here All the other .2da files follow a similar pattern.

On how to copy/paste a line in a .2da file, read this thread.

Notice concerning spells.2da: If you have a conflict involving force powers and the spells.2da file you cannot simply move the force powers as you wish since the scripts contain a reference to a spells.2da line so you'll need to edit the script or the item in the case of armbands. If source code is not available in the download package, contact the authors.

c) I said there were 2 1/2 solutions right? Then the last one would be get the Holowan plug-in. T7 did a wonderful job regrouping many mods here and solving conflicts problems for all of us. Even if you don't have conflicts, get the HL plug-in: it's a must have. Get the HL plug-in here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
Originally posted by Dartdude99

what do you do when you down load a .rar file? When i download a .rar file I can't open it unless I pick an opperation to open it with. The it won't let me get into the file to put them in the override folder. HELP?

You'll need an application that can open .rar files such as:

WinRar:

http://www.win-rar.com/

or StuffIt:

http://www.stuffit.com/detect_expander.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

u see i just got my new comp and have to start my game and mods all over again :( so anyway i installed KOTOR 2 and made an ovveride file and put a mod of mine sciamanos's mace windu and primes clone trooper this is what the path for the ovveride folder is

D:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\Ovveride

but for some reason NONE of the thing i do will work

the files are the same and the giveitem cheats wont wrok :( any ideas? by giveitem cheats i mean the ones for primes mod hant tested other types yet am using KSe for that in witch the armour/items dont appear

• 3 months later...
Whats the override folder exactly called? Im not sure which folder it is cause im new to modding!

Hi, and Welcome, if you are planning on modding K1 KotOR , then there should already be a folder called Override, but

If you are planning on modding TSL (Kotor 2) then you need to create a new folder called Override. Then you just extract all the files from a mod you have downloaded into the folder!

I hope this helps! :D

EDIT: Just say if you need more help

-Smallz

Hi, and Welcome, if you are planning on modding K1 KotOR , then there should already be a folder called Override, but

If you are planning on modding TSL (Kotor 2) then you need to create a new folder called Override. Then you just extract all the files from a mod you have downloaded into the folder!

I hope this helps! :D

EDIT: Just say if you need more help

-Smallz

I know about this but i cant fin out what the folder is called and im not sure if im doing it right so if you could post the actuall folder name for KOTOR I it would help tons!

I know about this but i cant fin out what the folder is called and im not sure if im doing it right so if you could post the actuall folder name for KOTOR I it would help tons!

Override :D

If you ned more help just ask :D

EDIT: I think i found what u needed help with, look for something like this:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\Override

AS i do not have KotOR installed on my system i am not sure if thats exacly right, but it should be similar to that

i have win rar then what?

1. Install winrar by double clicking on the wrar330.exe file and follow the instructions at the screen.

2a. Open the .zip or the .rar file containing the mod.

2b. Read the readme included in the .zip or .rar file

3. Click the "Extract to" button

4. select your Override folder (or any other folder mentioned in the readme)

5. Click ok.

Screenshot of steps 3, 4, 5: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/champion.jpg

6. Start playing

1. Install winrar by double clicking on the wrar330.exe file and follow the instructions at the screen.

2a. Open the .zip or the .rar file containing the mod.

2b. Read the readme included in the .zip or .rar file

3. Click the "Extract to" button

4. select your Override folder (or any other folder mentioned in the readme)

5. Click ok.

Screenshot of steps 3, 4, 5: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/champion.jpg

6. Start playing

Omg!!!! it wont work!!!!!!!!!!! im sooooooo mad!!!!!! wats wrong with it?!?!?!?!

I imagine you are talking about this mod: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=139157 ?

If so, the mod is for Kotor 1 only.

Did you read the readme file inside the .rar file? all the instructions for installation are there. Read them carefully.

You don't need cheats to get the items: go to the cantina on Korriban after the Leviathan and speak to the sith. If you still want to get the items before that, you can use KSE (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) .

I imagine you are talking about this mod: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=139157 ?

If so, the mod is for Kotor 1 only.

Did you read the readme file inside the .rar file? all the instructions for installation are there. Read them carefully.

You don't need cheats to get the items: go to the cantina on Korriban after the Leviathan and speak to the sith. If you still want to get the items before that, you can use KSE (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) .

At what point in the game because ive already been to korriban before the leviathan can i still do it or am i screwed and have to start a new game??

Archived