Home

What EU units (or units from other sw games) would be cool in this?

Rogue15

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TIE Defender was an experimental ship and although quite a few were built, they were stolen by Admiral Zaarin.

If they are in the game, it is likely that the player will be facing off against them rather than controlling them.

If they are controlable, it should be for a special mission or something and the player only gets one squadron to keep. They would be powerful but not invincible so the player wouldn't want to use them all the time because they wouldnt be able to replace them.

Out of the units being discussed at the moment, the TIE Defender is the one I would prefer to see in the game. I don't want to see E/K-Wings and I am indifferent about Dark Troopers.

not that it matters since the Dev's have already blatantly ignored the Canon of these units by putting in the crawler since it wasn't even designed during the timeline, while the Defender and some of the others on that list were designed before Endor.

The Defender would be a Rarity very powerful an equal to an X-wing and a B-wing rolled together with greater speed than an A-Wing, though it's cost should prevent it from being massed but by having them you'd get an edge it's not changing it critically because if you only build this small core of Defenders and no Fighters and Interceptors then you've wasted a lot of money because the Rebels would have more fighters a lot more.

When has Anyone been able to get a simple fact into Windu's concrete skull? not that there's anything inside there to get something to.

the E and K wings were developed after Endor so if they're in then lumpo them together with your Timeline arguments

Tie Defender - should be in since it fits perfectly

Assault Gunboats - should be in since it fits perfectly

Missile Boats - should be in since it fits perfectly

Tie Avengers - maybe

Tie Advanced - it's the same friggin thing as the Avenger

Imperator Class Star Destroyers - This doesn't even exist it's actually a mis-conception about the name for the Imperial class 1 and 2 Star Destroyers

Mon Calamari B and C cruisers - again out of the timeline considerably

Z-95 Headhunters - why when the X-wing is better and the Z-95 by that time was at least 20 years old and in the timeframe we're in it's only used by Pirates

E-Wings - again way way way out of Timeline

Modified Nebulan-B Frigates - they're already in

World Devestators - impossible to balance and way way out of the timeline

Imperial Commandos - good idea

Imperial Darktroopers - also a good idea

Avengers should be in. Really, they're pretty nice and the Empire used them a lot more then the Tie Defender.

Z-95s could be the early fighter, the first one you get before you can churn out X-Wings. It makes sense then.

The TIE Defender was an experimental ship and although quite a few were built, they were stolen by Admiral Zaarin.

Not exactly true, not false neither. The Tie Defender was designed by Zaarin(he can't steal what is his). A bunch were made, some were stolen by pirates(not rebels but somekind of pirate, I can't remember) and the ones remaining in the Empire's hand were sent back to Coruscant.

The Missile Boat was created to counter the Tie Defender. I'm not sure about it being in the game(though I sure would like it) since only a few ones were stolen by the Rebels and they were not ready to go into service before they got destroyed. It wouldn't make sense for the Empire to have a unit that counters another one of their units unless they are scenarios in which renegade admirals would use it against you.

Originally posted by DK_Viceroy

though the Avenger was never planned for frontline service while the Avenger was,

Huh?

Well I guess the cost really was the reason for their decision. Comparing stats:

Interceptor Avenger

Speed 111 120

Shields No Yes

Laser 4 4

Warheads 4 missiles 8 missiles

Hyperspace No Yes

Maneuvrability is very similar between the two ships though the Avenger is only slighty, very slighty superior here.

Considering the added cost for Hyperspace and Shielding, I can understand why the Avenger would not be used.

From the starwars.com databank:

Though successful in combat operations, the costly TIE avenger was eventually phased out with the increasing popularity of the more economical TIE interceptor.

DK_Viceroy, I have yet to see a picture of the MODIFIED Nebulan-B Frigate.

Perhaps you don't know what the MODIFIED Nubulan-B Frigate looks like.

It is displayed in TieFighter as the hull of a Nebulan-B with two fins on the front protruding diagonally, each sporting more cannons than the normal Nebulan-B Frigate has.

• 1 month later...
1. No Super/ Word $HIT.

2. TIE Defender.

Er, self-contradiction:)?

On multiple-species rebel troops: Just throw them all into the same unit. When you create a new trooper, there's a random chance it'll be some sort of alien (stats are identical, though, of course;)).

Tie Advanced - it's the same friggin thing as the Avenger

Exactly. "Avenger" was the nickname for the TIE Advanced.

Imperial Darktroopers

Don't you feel those are used out of context in games too much as it is (Galactic Battlegrounds, Battlefront)?

- TIE Defender - the whole point about Imperial fighters is that they are weak and produced in large numbers (en masse), while Rebel fighters are well protected but are in small numbers. Therefore, the Defender is a rebel fighter with the Imperials

Two words: Times change. The imperials initially used cheap, mass-produced TIEs, but then switched to using TIE Avengers, Gunboats, etc. in higher and higher numbers.

1. This game takes place during the course of the Galactic Civil War, so E-Wings and K-Wings would have to be removed; those were developed well after the Battle of Endor.

2. TIE Defenders could be included in the game, but only as a "special" unit that can only be assigned to you by the Empire, not mass-produced like other mainstream units (sort of like the First Cohort in Rome: Total War, which can be given to you by the Roman Senate)

3. The Dark Troopers were only in the experimental stage when Kyle Katarn destroyed each and every one of them, as well as General Mohc, the mastermind behind the project. After that debacle, the Empire discontinued development of droid soldiers.

4. According to the Star Wars databank, the TIE Crawler was a stop-gap method used by Imperial warlords on Coruscant right after the Battle of Endor. Once again, this unit is out of the timeline context, and it was not a front-line unit.

5. World Devastators and other super weapon EU trash: All of these super-weapons came after the Battle of Endor, so once again they are out of context, and they would be nearly impossible to destroy.

Basically, anything that was used a front-line military unit (dark troopers being the exception) during the course of the original trilogy and EU stuff between Episodes IV and VI is good, but anything after the Battle of Endor is out of timeline. Of course, older Republic-Era vehicles could still be used.

My list:

Z-95 Headhunters: I think it's a cool fighter and the Rebellion didn't only use state-of-the-art craft (look at the crappy snow speeders in the Empire Strikes Back).

Strike Cruisers: Because they look neat, and because they are modular designs that can be modified into nearly every role.

Assault Gunboats: Same as the Strike Cruiser. Cool ships, as well as being lots more sturdy than TIE Bombers.

R-41 Starchaser: See my reasons for having the Z-95 in.

Z-95 Headhunters - why when the X-wing is better and the Z-95 by that time was at least 20 years old and in the timeframe we're in it's only used by Pirates

Yeah, lets cut out the Snow speeder and TIE Fighter, too. The X-Wing and TIE Interceptor are better designs (sarcasm ends).

Imperial Commandos - good idea

Didn't you just say that if something didn't fit, it shouldn't be in? Dark troopers certainly don't fit, so stop contradicting yourself.

Originally posted by Darth Windu

See, this is where EU really goes off the rails and starts to change the nature of the various sides involved. Some EU is acceptable, some is not. For example-

Acceptable EU

- Interdictor Cruiser - makes sense if you think about it, and allows heavy Imperial forces to hammer their target(s)

- AT-PT - its an itty bitty walker that is part of a very logical chain going from AT-PT --> AT-ST --> AT-AT

- Victory Star Destroyer - kinda makes less sense now we have the RAS, but still as a pre-ISD ship it is logical, and provides necessary weaker cruisers

- TIE Scout - again, makes sense to have a small manned unit to search out Rebel bases

Unacceptable EU

- TIE Crawler - doesnt fit with the Imperial mechanised forces, is not a walker, and simply doesnt make sense in any conceivable military way

- TIE Defender - the whole point about Imperial fighters is that they are weak and produced in large numbers (en masse), while Rebel fighters are well protected but are in small numbers. Therefore, the Defender is a rebel fighter with the Imperials

- E-wing and K-wing - why? The X-wing and Y-wing do much the same jobs, and are instantly recognisable parts of Star Wars, whereas the E-wing and K-wing are not, and only appeared in three novels (that I know of)

- Tank Droids and Dark Troopers - no. The only side that uses Droids for battle is the Confederacy, not the Empire who clearly use humans for every job except for long-range recon (Probots)

- TIE Phantom - the Empire does everything in the open, and likes to be seen - i mean, their ground troops where bright white armour, they do not go sneaking around

So basically, the developers need to watch what EU they put in the game. Some of it is fine, while some of it is completely out of character for the sides they are developed for, and should never change the fighting style of the sides as we see them in the films.

Stop your whining, damn hippy.

Agreed, DragonBall. Windu needs to mod the game if he doesn't like it.

My list:

E-Wings- an UPGRADE to X-Wing

K-Wings-an UPGRADE to Y-Wing

Dark Troopers

TIE Defender as an expensive but powerful fighter

Scimitar Bomber-UPGRADE to normal TIE Bomber

AT-PT- Who can forget this?

Super Star Destroyer-Makes sense becuase Rebels have uber starfighters

Dreadnaughts

My black list:

Anything after Black Fleet Crisis.

I will point out yet again that he isn't actually buying the game so he needs to boil is head in some lava and leave us to discuss the game we WILL be buying in peace.

Where oh WHERE is Vostok?

Where is the sociable flexible and friendly purist we all know and like?

Windu is no replacement he's repungent and if I saw him in RL I'd be tempted to drown him.

Originally posted by Juggernaut1985

Agreed, DragonBall. Windu needs to mod the game if he doesn't like it.

My list:

E-Wings- an UPGRADE to X-Wing

K-Wings-an UPGRADE to Y-Wing

Dark Troopers

TIE Defender as an expensive but powerful fighter

Scimitar Bomber-UPGRADE to normal TIE Bomber

AT-PT- Who can forget this?

Super Star Destroyer-Makes sense becuase Rebels have uber starfighters

Dreadnaughts

My black list:

Anything after Black Fleet Crisis.

The problem with E-Wings, K-Wings, and Scimitars is that they were developed after the Galactic Civil War ended, and thus could not be included in the game. As I already stated in a previous post, the Dark Troopers were all destroyed by Kyle Katarn, and the Empire stopped all development of droid soldiers because of that. Everything else on that list is OK in my book.

Archived