Home

1st time through KOTOR2, light or dark?

RasputinX

Just picked up my copy of KOTOR 2 last night, and I'm having a huge dilemma what I want to play it through as.

In KOTOR 1 I played first through as a LS guardian

2nd time through I played as a DS Consular.

I found that there always seemed to be more sidequests and whatnot when you were lightside (ie you help out a starving lady by doing some quest to get her food... but for dark side you kill her and take her money).

I'm curious if KOTOR2's sidequests are any different?

I find the dark-side of the force much "cooler", but if I'll be missing out on a lot of the side-quests, then I would probably want to run as light-side for my first-time through.

Any thoughts?

How does KOTOR2 Compare to KOTOR1 regarding darkside vs light?

If you like to play on the DS, then I would say start playing DS but don't chose the dumb dialogue options such as "I don't want to hear it, now you die!" or you'll miss a lot of the storyline and you'll get at the end with a big WTF??? Take the time to talk to npcs and to ask questions.

Once you are finished, start again but play LS :D

Originally posted by Darth333

If you like to play on the DS, then I would say start playing DS but don't chose the dumb dialogue options such as "I don't want to hear it, now you die!" or you'll miss a lot of the storyline and you'll get at the end with a big WTF??? Take the time to talk to npcs and to ask questions.

Once you are finished, start again but play LS :D

Thanks, I'll do that.

Another random question now :)

Is it just me, or do DS Guardians seem kinda gimped?

Guardians focus mainly on strength, while all of the dark-side force powers involve you using your powers on others (thus a need for a higher wisdom / cha score).

Considering DS Guardian for a different mix from what I've previously played in KOTOR1, or even a DS Sentinel if DS guardians are too gimp.

Guardian is a Melee expert.

Force powers aren't really his specialty.

And the DS Marauder is very cool and tough and doesnt really need force powers either. Even though just a moderate nudge to Wisdom (14 - 16) is plenty enough to make what force powers you do use, actually work.

I hope in the 3rd game they make more of a distinction between the classes. You can play a Jedi Master and crank up his Strength and have nearly the same damage as a Weaponmaster, or Crank up a Weaponmasters Wisdom/Charisma and hit nearly as hard with spells as a Jedi Master. I hope they make more distinct changes between classes in the next edition.

I belive the guardian doesn't get enough force points. But i really love the class because of the Force Jump. I think that i might have to cheat to bring his wisdom up a bit to give me more force powers, but that would be weak. :D I think i'll just play as sentinel and give my character force jump with the tk's excellent KS editor.

My character will be LS at the first time through. I don't want to miss any dialog.

Originally posted by Derc

LS because the story makes more sense.

You being, "the last known Jedi," being pursued by the Sith.

It makes the story more dramatic.

It make for great drama, but considering that ALL other jedi who fought in the mandalorian war turned to the dark side (unless there were some who were killed and we don't know about) it makes a lot of sense to be DS. Besides you have Keila nudging you in that direction, and no one who really pushes for you to join the jedi again. Also considering your past history with said order...

In any case I play for the light side, simply because the jedi order obiously survived, so if I destroyed it I would break with SW lore.:p

Originally posted by Igor_Cavkov

why not follow your own heart?? i mean why not make those options that you think you would make in that situasion? and then you will see if you are DS or LS ? :D

Because I'm indecisive :)

Well, if I were to follow my heart I would likely go down the path of the dark-side.

I was just curious if I would be missing too much dialogue / side-quests if I went DS as opposed to LS.

Originally posted by RasputinX

Because I'm indecisive :)

Well, if I were to follow my heart I would likely go down the path of the dark-side.

I was just curious if I would be missing too much dialogue / side-quests if I went DS as opposed to LS.

Generally LS loses a lot more sub-quests. You can't do the eeeeeevil stuff... it's a shame... maybe I should turn, hehe...:D

The KOTOR II game is darker than the first one and I think its more oreinted towards the dark side. The scenery just seems more evil and people practically hate your character for the most part anyways and many of the characters youre with have been through so much battle they could say the hell with the galaxy and they practically urge you to go down the dark path. So I think at least at first to just try the DS path and then go back and do everything LS.

Some things though dont matter too much what your oreintation is and matter more instead on which dialogue options you chose so you just gotta go with your gut sometimes weither youre LS or DS.

Save your game often, especially if you know a cutscene is coming up so you can go back and make that critical decision again if you screw up.

I would also go to Dantooine and Nar Shadaa first so you can get alot of your items early on and learn some critical force powers like breath control. Besides seeing what happened to the Jedi Enclave after the war and doing all those extra things on Nar Shadaa is just cool. Especially if you can piss off that toydarian guy at the dock.

Playing through as a Dark Side Consular / Sith Lord, and I have to say that KOTOR2 is much more "dark-side friendlier" than KOTOR1.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on any side-quests, in fact I almost feel like I'm doing more sidequests as a dark-sider than a light-sider would.

Just a heads up to anyone else wondering the same thing I was...

Going the dark-side for the first time through the game has been great so far :)

I think if you wanna do all the extra side quests and get some extra credits for all that expensive hardware on the game then its good to go darkside, but if you want to help people and see how the whole jedi thing turns out then its good to go lightside. They each have their advantages and disadvantages but I think the game is more tuned towards the dark side and you benefit the most from the dark side.

The only thing I dont like about the lightside compared to the dark side is that you go to all of the trouble to help and rescue the jedi in hiding and when they all get back to Dantooine, instead of working with you and planning strategy on the larger issue at hand they waste time saying their thanks. Then after all of that they still pass judgement on you and try to take away your powers. Luckily Kreia shows up and whoops their asses before they can take away your powers but I was hoping for some non-violent solution without having to resort to that. Anyways the dark side is not much better because the jedi still die and on top of that Kreia gives you some flack about all the evil stuff you did when really she was gonna kill them Jedi anyways so i dont see what the big deal was.

Archived