Home

The Pub Council

Brighteyes

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I only know black and white (These classic colors, y'know?) i can only imagine something black and white. But i can imagine there may be more than black and white. Thus I can not exactly imagine something with three colors, but do not exclude the possibility that there is something with three colors. Ergo, while I can only imagine 2 colors I also can imagine something having 3 colors. I just don't know which color it could be.

On a fifth dimensional plane, they may exist. We currently can't think in five dimensions (we can hardly think in four) so it may be impossible to imagine something more colourful than you can imagine, just as it is impossible to think of making a rock that can't move, but in a higher plane, it may be possible.

I'm basically demonstrating how the initial question in this thread is just as impossible to our minds as my question, but may not be impossible to a being on a higher plane of life.

Oh, how long have i been bothered with that?

But now that it comes in mind...

Why would god create humans who could only use 10% of their brain??

Maybe the other 90% would make us able to...Move the rock that can't be moved?

Or..move normal rocks using your brain?

Or...Send pm's without a forum!!!!!!

Whoa!

I want those 90%!

Originally posted by Joshi

I'm basically demonstrating how the initial question in this thread is just as impossible to our minds as my question, but may not be impossible to a being on a higher plane of life.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make with my little "Flatlander" diversion...

An omnipotent being is not limited to the 4-dimensional constraints that we ourselves are burdened with.

In fact, it is impossible for us to even truly imagine some of the things that exist within the universe that we can observe... For example:

Can you imagine how hot it is at the surface of the sun? How about at it's core?

Can you conceive of how far it is to the other side of our solar system? Or Galaxy? Or to another galaxy?

We can't acually imagine these things since there is nothing in our own lives to compare them to. we might be able to play with the concepts intellectually, but not really truly have any grasp of them, just like Joshi's colors.

You cannot concieve of any colors that your eyes can't reproduce, even though the infrared and ultraviolet spectrums continue on beyond the visible light spectrum in both directions. We know they exist, we even have machines that can detect and record them, but they have to output that information as light within the visible light spectrum so that we can do anything with them.

It's just like sounds we cant hear. What does a dog whistle sound like? Is it a nice sound? Musical?

The whole God vs. the Rock question falls into the realm of trying to define something we simply cannot conceive into terms that we can... something multi-dimensional into something that we can fathom with our own experience.

Could God create a rock that He himself cannot move? If he really had reason to; Yes.

Could He then move it, if he had need to move it? Yes.

Is that a contradiction? No.

Would He do it, knowing that He would have to break the very rules that He himself put into motion? Ahhh... that is the real question here, and the one that we cannot ever answer, for to truly answer it we would have to know the mind of God... and that is something we ephemeral mortals cannot not ever know, like Joshi's colors.

Can we deal with that? Probably not. We are saddled with the unfortunate need to define things as either possible and impossible... but that's only because we are not the ones who make the rules, and we can only see the universe as it is though the most limited lens. For us things are possible, or they are not.

Example: We are limited in our exploration of the Universe that we can see by the speed of light. Is God limited by it as well? After all, it is a rule that He imposed on the universe, shouldn't he be subject to it as well?

Originally posted by edlib

I notice Yuftser is perusing the boards with us at the moment...

...Hmm, nope... But I do see a Yufster... ;P </pedant>

Originally posted by edlib

Maternity leave, Yuf?

Isn't it a bit early, shouldn't it still take some month?

My two cents:

Can God create a rock that's so heavy that He can't move it? No.

Does that mean he's not all-powerful? No.

Creating a rock so heavy that God himself can't move it is logically impossible. In fact, it's meaningless - it's like saying can God create a square circle? No, of course He can't - because a square has four sides and a circle has none. Another example would be "can God create blah blah blah". The answer is no because it doesn't mean anything.

So God can't do the logically impossible, but that doesn't mean that He is not all powerful.

Of course, things that appear impossible for us may be possible in higher dimensions etc. etc. as Joshi and others have pointed out, but we can't possibly comprehend that so it's a bit of a dead end for an argument.

Archived