Home

The Pub Council

Brighteyes

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Toad in the Hole (British). It's sausages cooked in Yorkshire Pudding (if you're living in a country that has no idea what Yorkshire Pudding is, don't ask, just don't ask).

I assume that once, that was a good idea as everyone loves yorkshire pudding, so stuffing sausages in them just seemed like the logical choice. That is, before supermarkets decided to sell them semi cooked so you just threw it in the oven and hoped for the best without realising that the bottom half of the sausages that were consumed in yorkshird pud were infact not being cooked at all. That was an interesting night for me.

Originally posted by Joshi

It's Toad in the Hole (British). It's sausages cooked in Yorkshire Pudding (if you're living in a country that has no idea what Yorkshire Pudding is, don't ask, just don't ask).

I assume that once, that was a good idea as everyone loves yorkshire pudding, so stuffing sausages in them just seemed like the logical choice. That is, before supermarkets decided to sell them semi cooked so you just threw it in the oven and hoped for the best without realising that the bottom half of the sausages that were consumed in yorkshird pud were infact not being cooked at all. That was an interesting night for me.

Man, I am still trying to figure out why ANYONE would ingest Black Pudding by free will alone.

Look at this .

And then:

Black Fried Meat Pudding (Irish)

Yield: 8 Servings

1 lb Pig's liver

1 1/2 lb Unrendered lard, chopped

120 fl Pig's blood

2 lb Breadcrumbs

4 oz Oatmeal

1 Medium onion, chopped

1 ts Salt

1/2 ts Allspice

1 Beef casings

Always served with an Irish "fry". The preparation of this pudding may be impractical these days due to the difficulty of procuring fresh pig's blood and casings.

Stew liver in boiling salted water until tender. Remove liver, and mince. Reserve cooking liquor. Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Stir thoroughly until blended. Fill casings with mixture. Tie off in one-foot loops. Steam for 4-5 hours. Leave until cold.

Hungry yet?

I had to look up your "yorkshire pudding out of curiousity. Too me it looked like a rather large omelette, and being a pretty good cook myself, I was only half right:

Cut into 1/2 inch slices as required and fry in hot fat on both sides until crisped.

See for yourself.

Now about sausages. Not a HUGE fan of sausages, some are good though. I like polish sausages, itallian saugages, and that crumpled up thick sausage you find on Chicago pizza.

What I HATE however, is hot dogs. Americans eat the hell out of them, but personally, I am so discusted by hot dogs, I won't go near them.

There WAS a time when I was younger, I used to fancy hot dogs, but growing up poor on welfare, we ate hot dogs about 3 nights a week, EVERY week. We just....had no choice. My dad would go to this gas station that sold them for dirt cheap, and just stock up on the damn things. We had a rather large deep freezer he stored them in. I got really damn tired of hot dogs. THEN, in 1993, I was finally done. Me and my buddy AL went to a three day christian rock festival, and we had ribeyes the first day, but Al, LIKE my dad, found yet ANOTHER great deal on hot dogs, and we ate the damn things three times a day for the remainder of the festival. I have not ate a hot dog since 1993, nor do I choose to do so ever again.

Anyways, before I drifted off topic, the name "Toad in the Hole (British)", reminded me of one of my mother's noble attempts at trying to make a hot dog less painful to eat:

Mvc-pig%20n%20blanket.jpg

It's called "Pig In A Blanket"

Nothing fancy, she'd just wrap the hotdogs in sliced cheese, and then wrap that with those crescent rolls that pop out of the can in the frozen food section.

She gets an A for effort, but i'm not eating no damn hot dogs again, as long as I can help it. :(

I'd always affiliated pig in a blanket to be a sausage wrapped in bacon. At which point we'd figure out the U.S's obesity problem (don't start, I know the U.K isn't exactly stick insect central).

Groove (and any other U.S peopls who'er interested) at your next Thanksgiving, or, simply the next time you have a real roast (roast anything, but poultry is a good idea) find the recipe for yorkshire pudding and try it (try it dry first and then dowse it in gravy and see what takes your fancy). You may find it nicely compliments a nice sunday dinner.

Oh, and you don't have to make big ones, you can make lots of smaller ones if you want, so it's easier to dish out, about the size of a largish cupcake should do. Otherwise you have to go to the trouble of cutting it up for everyone.

Actually my post had nothing to do with the preceding post, it was a statement on it's own in the spirit of the Pub Council and so on (otherwise I would have asked "Was that a question"). Basicaly, is the statement "Is this as Question?" a question or not?

This was posed on an Oxford examination paper (in philosophy) and a one sentence answer got the highest mark for it. Lets see if you can guess it (and by guess I of course mean Google).

Archived