Home

Making ****

Sweet. I'd buy a copy.

Slave Labor Graphics (a company located in San Jose, California that publishes Jhonen Vasquez) accepts submissions, so I'd send some stuff to them. The guidelines are on their site (slavelabor.com). They say that not everyone makes a profit on their work, but we can hope you will.

And then there's copyright. I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you. Just so long as you're not stealing anyone's ideas (parodies don't count. What a great loophole), it's fine. I read some stuff on copyight a while ago, and you don't need to register a copyright or anything, just say that it's © to you and have something to prove it with. I'm sure a publishing company would for you, but if you self-publish than mail a copy of the work to yourself and don't open it. The postage date is legal proof that you made it before that date.

See I was wondering if I should register my characters for copyright or if I should do it myself. Slave Labor was my first choice since they have the best independent distribution. Not that I exactly like them, but it's work.

I'm considering it to be a 5 issue 32 page comic with black and white insides and hoping to get some color covers done. can't decide if I want to do the covers digitally or by hand.

The comic isn't the easiest or most fun to explain without it sounding stupid yet... I'll have to think of a good nutshell phrase. But it will sort of be in the future (Not apocolyptic), but run-down corporate seizure type. But the plot is going to be super character driven, so setting is not too important. It will involve people who are born with lightbulbs, spotted demon cult, and lab experiments. I don't know if this is interesting or not yet.

I have a story to flesh out and 160 pages to do, so hopefully I can complete this **** in 3 months.

Probably have to find another job though, maybe super part time. And I worked at LaQuinta. Really cushy job, really shitty management.

I expect to be listed as prime creative consultant.

That way, we can have a comic book signing, and I can be there to beat the everliving fuck out of Ray when he shows up.

Then we can sign it "To Ray, from pain" in his own blood.

Send some samples to companies before you start making all the pages, because you don't want a five issue comic series on your hands with no one to publish it (outside of you distributing it yourself).

Depending on the comic industry is like going into self-imposed poverty - even (or especially) at SLG. I would suggest that you go to Kinkos and make a bunch of copies of your finished product, and then sell them at your local comic book store. Even if you take a hit in profits, the aim is to generate interest. Good luck with your project!

• 1 year later...

I forgot all about this. You might have to wait another 10 years for the comic, because I have a lot of 3d animation to finish and a full time job. Not to mention I should be a better artist first.

But in the mean time, a few friends and I are trying to get something started 2d animation wise at least. I don't know how soon, because this Art Institute crap gets in the way.

All we have now is this site which doesn't have my work yet, but soon I should get some work samples. No comics, but maybe storyboards, which are vaguely similar.

http://niceguycartoons.com/

You know what's funny though, Woxel told me to go make copies at Kinkos of the comic, but I ended up getting a job at Kinko's a few months after the initial post. Also how did you guys know I was 20?

Your Newgrounds profile tells all, you never told us about crack Mario. I don't know what to think.

EDIT: Sean could you do me a favor? I've got a screened T-Shirt due next week and could use something sureal to slap on it. I don't spose you could render up Max riding the bomb(Ala Dr. Strangelove)? This is a one color, and I have to cut it out by hand so I don't want anything incredibly intricate. Please, I'll give you my kidney and the kidney's of assorted friends, hobo's, and congressmen.

Archived