Home

Peer to Peers

Brighteyes

Downloading through a P2P program is no different to downloading via http (ie: a website). Downloading illegal software is downloading illegal software, no matter what the medium.

Downloading a full game that isn't freeware without purchasing it is illegal, whether you download it off a website, FTP, P2P client or anything else. The same goes for copyrighted music, etc.

Not that it being illegal stops 99% of people.

Problem is that there's noway of knowing wether they're copyrighted or not....but then shuldn't they all be?

The case against Morpheous states that they'e not liable for the conduct of it's users. But surely it can't be illegal to download mp3's....they'd have shut them down permanantly if that were right wouldn't they?

You may as well just assume that every song ever is copyrighted. Very few bands or composers are going to willingly allow people to download their music for free.

"Downloading mp3s" is obviously not illegal. You can turn any sound file into an mp3. I could just record myself making a daft noise right now, convert it to mp3, and put it up on Morpheus if I wanted to. There'd be nothing illegal about that file, and people could download it to their heart's content.

I'm not sure where the confusion lies, really. If you download a song without paying for it, it's illegal. Unless the artists/composers of the song gave you (or the general public) explicit permission to download it freely, which none of them do really.

Originally posted by Brighteyes

Isn't that a contradiction, you know there's a free version don't you?

...I'm sorry, but are you a bit slow (today)?

Downloading things from P2P isn't illegal in general, only downloading things that the "orignal owners" (the musicians, etc...) don't want you to download are... Like copying Adobe Photoshop is illegal (because Adobe wants you to not dowload it), but copying the GIMP is legal (the authors want it to be distributed and spreaded)...

P2P networks per se aren't illegal, you'll find legal stuff like Knoppix and stuff there, but you'll comit a crime when you download illegal stuff like the newest QOTSA album...

It's like walking into a music store. Now, some stores have "Take One :)" racks, which are basically CDs of free music. Likewise, you might sometimes get a free CD of music on a magazine or something. Totally free, totally legal.

But the same store also has lots of music CDs which you are supposed to buy. If you tried to walk out of the store with one of those instead of the free, legal CDs, you'd be busted.

Really, I'm not seeing what's hard to understand. An mp3 is just a file format, just like wav, midi, ogg, and anything else. The fact that it's an mp3 doesn't make it illegal. It's the fact that there's copyrighted material on mp3s that makes some of them illegal.

Edit: And in case you hadn't got it yet, Morpheus is just a program to connect users, like IRC, MSN and AIM. The difference is that it's dedicated to file transferring rather than chatting. Morpheus' creators officially have nothing to with the content and mp3s that their users transmit on the network, just like Microsoft have nothing to do with whatever you say to your girlfriend on MSN.

Originally posted by Thrik

It's the fact that there's copyrighted material on mp3s that makes some of them illegal.

...Well, if you want to be über-accuratly, there's something on/in/whatever that mp3/ogg that bears great resemblance of copyrighted material for the human ears (because of the lossy compression)... ;)

Yup i am slow today. Been workin ten to the dozen on assignments so my brains fried.

But people are buying these song's, putting them on Morpheous and then they're distributed......isn't that illegal copyright distribution?

That's what's (supposedly) putting the music industry out of buisness. The fact that instead of EG:

10 people buying the single "Finding my way" by "exithiside".

1 person will buy it then basically distribute it to the other

nine peeps who haven't bought it. Surely that's illegal.

But people are buying these song's, putting them on Morpheous and then they're distributed......isn't that illegal copyright distribution?

...Yep, just like downloading said songs (at least in my understanding)...

That's what's (supposedly) putting the music industry out of buisness.

That's what they say... If you ask me, the music industry is superfluous, not needed at all... The artists could just sell their songs on their own over the internet, for example... And I find the idea of selling rights to a song in general quite strange. Tthe musicians create the songs and then they sell it to the music industry, which then acts as if they were the creators, wtf?

"Downloading any mp3's from Morpheous is illegal?"

...That's wrong... There are artists who offer their own songs at P2P networks and don't demand money... Most most likely, "mainstream" ones like Britney "Schpears" won't, so 99.99% of the mp3s you'll find there are illegal, but not all... If their are things like edonkey links or torrents on their official websites, then it's save to say that these are legal to download...

Though there are other options, here are the 2 basic most common simple ways you can release a piece of music into the world:

1) I can record a song, and then say "I am going to release this stores commercially, and also since I created it, only I can decide who sells it." As the creator of a song I am legally allowed to do that.

2) Also, alternatively, I could record a song and then say "I don't care! Anybody can have this song for free!"

So--

Some artists chose to do the first thing - If you download one of their songs from Morpheus, you are breaking the law. Most popular music you hear on the radio, or in a film score, or in a video game, is of this first category. It is copyrighted music. The people who created it have the legal right to determine who can copy it.

Other artists (far far less of them) chose to release their songs the second way, for free - as "public domain" - you can download that stuff legally, but there is very little of it.

I find a good self-rule is to purchase music only, because that way you limit to owning only GOOD music. My friends that download all the time, though had good intentions and, once long ago, a good taste in music, they listen to SO MUCH CRAP. If you stick to buying--if you're like me and have little money--you'll watch what you buy. And when you watch what you buy....well, you watch what you buy, and that keeps you to listening to the BEST music. Because, we're all good hard-working people, and we DESERVE to only listen to the music of a very high standard.

Gotta agree with you there Jofa.

I've been downloading for years now, i've got a good 10gigs worth. (oh ****, i can hear sirens :( )

I never listen to three quarters of it. But i'm giving my comp a wipe soon so i can get rid of it all.

It may be illegal but to be honest i'd never have willingly gone out and bought these songs anyway.

Oh great my housemate was right then about it being illegal.

(As if his head ain't big enough already!)

He just went on about how they're catching a ton of people and that they'd come and get me blah blah blah blah.

Ah well, they'll be deleted soon anyway.

Originally posted by JofaGuht

well, you watch what you buy, and that keeps you to listening to the BEST music.

...Well, first of all, what is crap and what isn't is mostly in the eye of the beholder...

...Second, you leave out Jake's 2. type of people, it's not that everything they create is crap...

Originally posted by JofaGuht

Because, we're all good hard-working people, and we DESERVE to only listen to the music of a very high standard.

...Err, yeah? O_o

...As I see it, from a long range scale, the only thing we deserve is to suffer and eventually die... ;)

I buy a lot of CDs, but lately I've become a little pissed. I've baught 2 albums that I knew only 1 or 2 songs from. May be, it just hasn't clicked yet, but I don't think I like the other stuff on the CDs. So sometimes you should just download the one song you love and don't buy the whole album. Borrow the album from a friend, if you can, to see if you like the rest of the songs.

Also, you don't have to buy music in a shop at 'their' price. Buy it from eBay.

Many will know this statement, but I'll say it anyways. The music industry isn't used to competition. For years the big labels have published anything and everything. They still do. They didn't have to worry. A success would cover all the unsuccessful albums.

So instead of complaining about the internet and P2P networks and trying to cheat on their artists, they should get off their asses and give the people what they want. Good music at low prices. Small independent labels have a growing number of customers.

I typically download 3 or 4 songs off an album to see if I like the stuff on it, if I do, I go out and buy it, if not, I just delete them cause they suck. I've actually bought more CDs since I started downloading music than I did before.

Originally posted by DrMcCoy

...Well, first of all, what is crap and what isn't is mostly in the eye of the beholder...

I know, but for most people's taste in music, what they truly think is great is limited. You can listen to what you think is the best music, but if you download a hundred gigabytes of music, then a huge chunk of it is bound to be stuff that you think is crap, no matter your taste in music.

Originally posted by DrMcCoy

....Second, you leave out Jake's 2. type of people, it's not that everything they create is crap...

Those people tend to have websites where you can download their music. If people want their stuff heard, P2P searches won't be the only place you can find it. I know in some cases it is like that, and I respect that. And enough people use P2P, their music spreads to the friends of theirs that don't eventually.

But really that thing is just a self-rule. I get why people use it and why people want an insane amount of music on their computer. Just, for me, if it's not worth buying, then it's not worth owning. And I think that's a good way of looking at things.

Archived