Home

Internet Deveopment.

IG-64

We get on the internet practically every day. And in my case, all day. :p

I've been wondering, what will the internet be like years from now? Well, i've thought of one advancement that I think will come in a matter of time.

I think the refresh button will eventually be ommitted. Pages will run in real-time, you'll see posts appear in threads, threads move around on the forum page, people's post counts increasing before your eyes.

http://www.deviantart.com

Observe the number they have on that page that tells you how many deviations there are. It counts down whenever someone posts a deviation, and you can see it counting down without refreshing the page. I believe everything will be like that eventually.

So, what are some other internet advancements you can think of?

sometimes i wonder if things won't eventually be like the Net Force series of novels.

for those that haven't read them, its a fully interactive virtual reality where websites are simulated to look like actual places. ie, a shopping site would appear to be an actual store and going to another 'web site' would require you to get in a car or an aircraft and actually drive there yourself. of course, different kinds of cars would simulate your bandwidth speed, and so on and so forth.

its an interesting concept, but i'm not too entirely sure that it would happen given the complexity required for such high level of virtual reality (all of your senses are simulated to make it as real as possible). that would require a number of tech advances before that would ever reach our reality.

Originally posted by IG-64

http://www.deviantart.com

Observe the number they have on that page that tells you how many deviations there are. It counts down whenever someone posts a deviation, and you can see it counting down without refreshing the page. I believe everything will be like that eventually.

I hate to tell you this, put that counter doesn't really update properly. It loads the correct starting value and then increments at random times. It's just a bit of javascript. There's no connection with the server after the page loads.

A better example would be google suggest - it suggest popular searchs that it thinks you might be typing out.

Originally posted by matt--

I hate to tell you this, put that counter doesn't really update properly. It loads the correct starting value and then increments at random times. It's just a bit of javascript. There's no connection with the server after the page loads.

Aww. :/

But still, you know what i'm talking about.

If you merge IG's vision with holographic screens, then that is cool! But with the forums gone real-time, there wouldn't be much diffrence between them and chat. LucasForums will become LucasChat.

*shivers*

Anyways, one good thing someone can do would be realistic models or stuff like that. Remember that online church thing? I'm talking about stuff like that. Imagine if we take that into the Swamp. We will actually see all the swamp around us and muck, and the b-day partys, and Rhett's elves, the baskets, and best of all - strippers and pant-pulling!

Internet will become completely accessible and voice activated. I had read somewhere about a fully 3D OS being developed. Every window, menu, bar etc. can be rotated, moved and changed as you see fit. You can change the enviroments and stuff to make it look exactly as you like.

Back to my earlier forum vision, we won't need smilies anymore, with the introduction of high-speed videos, sounds and expressions. Say, I want that Death Star smilie. I press the button, and you get an image of a Death Star floating into the room and zapping random things, then dissappearing. Suppose I take Boba Fett, then a miniature of Boba will materialise and say what the user has posted.

The possibilities are endless. Best of all, if some sort of code is applied, it may be possible to make a sort of video visualising what the user has typed. That can be uber-cool in RPG-ing and stories. Similarly, it would be useful where direct videos and sounds are not readily available.

But of course, I expect all this to come in say, 10-15 years.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by ZBomber

I actually wouldn't like that refresh thing. What if there was something on a page, and then they got rid of it but you still needed it?

Isn't that how it is already?

It would still be a forum, just in real time, "chatting" is againt the rules anyways, it's considered spam.

What the internet will be like years from now? That is a tough question. I guess I kinda relate it to what video games will be like after the xbox and ps2. I thought they couldn't get much better than they already are, and then last night they unveiled XBox 360. It looks amazing. I guess my point is, I can't even guess what advancements they will make for the internet, since it is pretty advanced as it is. ;)

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Holographic, with audio/video instantly... sorta like star wars. You know how yoda has that holographic map of the galaxy in Ep2 when obi is looking for Kamino ("The lost planet")? Something like that would be cool.

That would be sweet. 3d Holo monitors... I wonder if it really will ever get that advanced, its already so advanced compared to when it was a new thing...

• 2 weeks later...

What will the internet be like in thr future? Well, I imagine in the next few decades it'll be much faster, just... improved. Maybe centuries from now, the internet will be thought controlled! :eek: Just think what site you want to visit, and think the words you want to type...

Heck, maybe there won't even BE an internet thousands of years from now. There could be a Dark Age, or something much more advanced than the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived