Home

Return of the King...

legameboy

Originally posted by txa1265

Anyway, I have been looking forward to it, but some 'early reviewers' who saw a pre-release print said it was awful. I hope they are wrong.

A lot of what is good about it doesn't translate well into a linear visual narrative.

Well, I have pretty mixed feelings about it too. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that Douglas Adams was incredibly involved with the movie right up until his death.

If you are looking for a recreation of the events of the first book, or the first several episodes of radio or TV show you are going to be a little surprised... Adams did say that once they get off Earth the events of the story pretty much contradict every other version of HHGG that has ever been released. I know that's gonna piss a lot of people off, but he did it deliberately and you can't really blame the filmmakers on that count.

I think seeing the one-headed Zaphod all though the movie is gonna be the hardest thing for me to accept (yes, I know his 2nd head is under his first... but still...)

Originally posted by coupes.

King Kong people... ;)

This *IS* the Swamp, after all, and all threads are subject to highjacking without notice.

But the subject has me thinking ...

- Will there be a King Kong game for the PSP? ... and will it be better or worse than the DS version?

- Will the soundtrack sound better on the Creative Zen than on the iPod?

- If there are wallpapers, will the fact that Macs are teh sux0r make them look worse?

- Will there be any lightsabers in it ... or lifesavers for that matter ... and if so, what flavor ...

Mike

Originally posted by InsaneSith

It's not really a remake since it's based on the book and not the old movie which was really bastardized of the book. Good, but not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

That seems to presume that:

- The book was better than the original movie

- Being more like the book will make for a better movie.

I don't tend to believe either.

As regards King Kong, the original was an amazing technical acheivement for its' time ... yet had lots of heart. I hope that Jackson can capture the same heart and still have an amazing spectacle.

Mike

That seems to presume that:

- The book was better than the original movie

- Being more like the book will make for a better movie.

Not really, it's saying that this movie is actually an original, because this movie really is Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and the old version was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory.

No presumptions about which is better, merely that this movie is one which intends (I assume) to be more faithful to the book

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Not really, it's saying that this movie is actually an original, because this movie really is Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and the old version was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory.

No presumptions about which is better, merely that this movie is one which intends (I assume) to be more faithful to the book

That makes sense - sorry for the misinterpretation.

I am worried, though - I love Burton, Elfman, Depp ... and if the f-this up I may have to hate them ;) ... and after Planet of the Apes ...

Mike

As regards King Kong, the original was an amazing technical acheivement for its' time ...

Did you go to the premiere?

*runs*

<3

Depp

Depp looks girly in this movie.

And the trailer makes me want to strangle someone.

Clicky

But..King Kong..discuss.

I'm not into playing on the 'Cube much, but my kids liked banging on the drums at toys r us ... oh wait, that's Donkey Konga ... wrong monkey, sorry ..

Oh, I know, wasn't King Kong the jolly old soul? Oh wait, that was old King Cole ... never mind.

Big monkey ... stay on target ... really big monkey ...

Mike

Exactly.

Hitchhikers

Originally posted by edlib

Well, I have pretty mixed feelings about it too. The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that Douglas Adams was incredibly involved with the movie right up until his death.

I heard that the reason he was involved up to his death was that he had a contract that specified he had to deliver a script, but the studio kept messing with the concept, and the contract didn't say when he had to deliver it, so he just kept them hanging around.

But that means that his contribution to the script may not be what he actually wanted.

Chocolate Factory

Plant of the apes did suck, but it wasn't really one of burton's usual films. Big Fish restored a lot of my faith, and CF seems like a classic burton idea, so i think he should do well.

King Kong

$200 Million???? That does seem excessive for a film that is unlikely to be more than a big, lightweight summer blockbuster. Between this, episode 3 and War of the Worlds it looks like there are some big Titanic/Waterworld wannabees out there this year... :(

Archived