Home

Return of the King...

legameboy

... Kong.

Anyone excited about Peter Jackson's remake of the uber-classic King Kong? I for one am. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.

I've just recently seen a current-day picture of him and for some reason he's not obese anymore... I almost didn't recognize him.

hey don't dis the old king kong!!! i remember watching that black and white **** when i was 5 and living in belaire, michigan!!!! the one where king kong pwns all the dinosaurs. i felt sad for the dinosaurs, as they were my passion as a young boy before my thumbs got taken over by nintendo.

Originally posted by legameboy

I've just recently seen a current-day picture of him and for some reason he's not obese anymore... I almost didn't recognize him.

Really? I wanna see.

For King Kong, seems cool, never been a king kong fan, but ill give it a go since its peter jackson. :p

And Andy Serkis as King Kong sounds weird >_>

peter jackson or not, theres only so much one can do with a freakin big MONKEY movie.... astro's giving it the "big banana" award :(

Im moreso looking forward to HitchHikers Guide to The Galaxy...might have already been released in UK/US, but we get it here in a cpl of weeks... cant wait to see how they do the paranoid android :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

peter jackson or not, theres only so much one can do with a freakin big MONKEY movie.... astro's giving it the "big banana" award :(

Im moreso looking forward to HitchHikers Guide to The Galaxy...might have already been released in UK/US, but we get it here in a cpl of weeks... cant wait to see how they do the paranoid android :p

mtfbwya

Mos Def Mos Def Mos Def

:D

and the paranoid android is pretty cool too.

Originally posted by IG-64

Really? I wanna see.

For King Kong, seems cool, never been a king kong fan, but ill give it a go since its peter jackson. :p

And Andy Serkis as King Kong sounds weird >_>

040105_day123.jpg

033005_day120.jpg

Small pictures... I know...

Andy Serkis is doing motion capture work similiar to what he did in the Lord of the Rings.

yea, hitchhiker's guide looks more appealing to me. im more of a sci-fi person. plus, the trailer to "Serenity" is gonna be in it!!!

anyways, i wonder if its gonna stay true to the king kong story line or botch it up like with the godzilla movie with matthew broderick, in which godzilla was just some giant mutated iguana.

I think Peter Jackson did a good job with LOTR, but I don't worship the ground he walks on as so many see to ...

I was a major King Kong fan as a kid, so of course I saw the 70's version, which was a big hit but not very good.

I am more generally concerned about the rash of remakes:

- Willie Wonka ... why?

- Amityville Horror ... why?

- King Kong I can at least see, as it has the possibility to bring the classic to a new audience... if done right.

And, the early looks at Hitchhiker's Guide say it is crap.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

And, the early looks at Hitchhiker's Guide say it is crap.

Mike

what does "early looks" mean ! from whom ! from you ?? from ....

HHGG was one of the first books I really loved as a kid.. Being a great fan of the books and the original TV series, what I have seen of the trailers make it look potentially pretty cool.... HHGG was never about huge battles and special effects...

I just hope they dont write alot of crap into it and lose Douglas Adams very particular style in the process.. Fortunately though, we will be able to blame it on entirely on american/disney influence :(:p

OMG Is that freakin Peter Jackson !! I know how he lost the weight : METHAMPHETAMINES ... acommon side effect of making it in Hollywood...

he does look very "George Lucas circa 1970s" :p

mtfbwya

what does "early looks" mean ! from whom ! from you ?? from ....

No - I was actually very hopeful - my kids love the look of the trailer, and while they are too young for Monty Python (OK, I was watching it by their age (~8 or 9 when it hit US), but *man* did my mom ream my dad when she walked into us in front of the TV during the intro to the 'Mt Everest' sketch ...) ...

Anyway, I have been looking forward to it, but some 'early reviewers' who saw a pre-release print said it was awful. I hope they are wrong.

I just hope they dont write alot of crap into it and lose Douglas Adams very particular style in the process..

A lot of what is good about it doesn't translate well into a linear visual narrative.

Fortunately though, we will be able to blame on entirely on american/disney influence :(:p

I'm sure there is a whole america/conservative/bush blame tree already under construction if the movie is bad ;)

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

A lot of what is good about it doesn't translate well into a linear visual narrative.

Mike

they handled some of those segways(?sic) very well in the TV series :) damn hilarious... as was that super depressed robot :p

mtfbwya

The original is still worth watching now. The stop motion animation may have aged a bit.. but king kong still looks pretty realistic. Definately more realistic than the man in a suit approach of the 70s remake.

I have to say i'm entirely unexcited by it though. PJ did a great job with LOTR, and a few of his early films were interesting in a low-budget kind of way... but he's far from a proven consistent director.

Personally I hope he changes it completely. Because there is actually very little you can do with the original plot. It is basically your generic "monster destroy's stuff" plot... but with a bit of sympathy for the monster.

But, unless he adds a fair bit more complexity and plot strands to it, its just going to be a godzilla-style load of CGI breakage.

-------------

I'm not keen on all these remakes either... though the Willy Wonka one with burton and depp has the potential to be pretty interesting.

Archived