Home

About to buy. . .

Oh yeah, I always do my research. Been researchin this one for a couple weeks now. I read all the reviews I can, compare others in same price range, and even go to different sites. Newegg has the same one for the same price, but they charge $3 shipping for UPS ground, while zipzoomfly charges nothing for 2day. :-D I can't wait till Thursday, I already am enjoying my 768 MB of RAM that I just upgraded to.

Like I said, I've been checking it. I almost purchased it from there too. Great reviews and all. But the fact is my product will get here faster for 4 dollars cheaper from zipzoomfly. Otherwise I'd definately buy from newegg. What can I say. . .I'm cheap :-D.

Cheap but smart :thumbsup:

I agree with Stingerghs up there ;) looks like a good deal for the money man :D

I'd pick Nvidia over others anyday just for the lack of problems if nothing else. (every card I ever had fry was somthing other than Nvidia)

Sounds like you did your research on the product which is always good.

I'd say go buy that sucker :D

General Kenobi

you found it in neweeg :confused: but how I was looking for a new graphics card I had a rather low end one gforce MX 440 128MB but all I could find was a geforce 6200 from there and that was about 2 weeks ago oh I'd check what size powersupply it needs before you buy it other wise you might end up buying a new powersupply for it to run properly

Originally posted by stingerhs

^^^^

do you really think a better power supply is neccessary?? i didn't think the 6600 had that much of a voltage requirement. :confused:

Nope ;) The normal power supply should be fine so I agree it doesn't warrant one

I don't think that's an issue until you reach up to the higher end graphics cards meant for architects, designers, etc?? I could be wrong but I think thats right :D

it probably need a 300w powersupply minimum and you will also have to plug it into your powersupply so at least that is what I have to do with my geforce 6200 265mb with exactally what yours has or it won't perform to is full capacity and you never and I do mean never want the minimum requirments for anything so if it is 300w or lower you are beater off getting a better powersupply

well, i guess that would depend a bit on exactly how high end you're talking. from a gaming standpoint, workstation cards (which is what you were refering to) are not the best choice. workstation cards are designed to render massive amounts of 3D objects, but not necessarily in real-time, which is what is required for gaming.

on a workstation card equipped computer, you can have an absolutely beautiful 3D world (and the 3D movies like 'Shrek' and 'Finding Nemo' are credit to this), but it takes time for the computer to render it.

i remember a while back where several workstation cards were pitted against the latest gaming cards from ATI and nVidia in a magazine. the results were quite interesting: the ATI and nVidia cards all scored much higher in the games (in fact, several workstation cards could hardly manage 5-10 fps in Quake 3 on high settings) while the workstation cards scored higher in more 3D intensive applications.

otherwise, i don't know much about workstation cards, although i'm sure ChAiNz could fill you in... ;)

mine is an nvidia card and it kills my power supply heck mine also has a dvi connection and is a gaming card so what exactly is your point:confused: so I upgraded my powersupply to a 550w one unfortuantly I haven't had a chance to use my home pc since i put it in (stupid power outages) because we have had t-storm after t-storm in wisconsin for the last week and I even knocked the resister and the transformer for my house:eek:

mine is an nvidia card and it kills my power supply heck mine also has a dvi connection and is a gaming card so what exactly is your point so I upgraded my powersupply to a 550w one unfortuantly I haven't had a chance to use my home pc since i put it in (stupid power outages) because we have had t-storm after t-storm in wisconsin for the last week and I even knocked the resister and the transformer for my house

What kind of card is that?! I now have twin 7800 GTX's in SLI, 10 120 mm fans, water cooling for the CPU, 4 80 mm fans and an Audigy4 Platinum, and I only have 535 watts at 80% efficiency!

***edit***

Workstation card shouldn't use that much power either, I just finished a workstation running an FX Quadro 4200 and Athlon X2 4800+ that only needs 460 watts. :confused:

Originally posted by stingerhs

otherwise, i don't know much about workstation cards, although i'm sure ChAiNz could fill you in... ;)

Dude, I couldn't have said it better myself (you should be an editor.... hehehe)...

In fact, the workstation cards don't really perform that much better than gaming cards even in the long run.. ;)

We've switched all of our rendering cards to "gamer's cards" because of the fact of real-time rendering....

Most Professional editing software (AVID / Final Cut Pro) have realtime pre-render layers & FX anyways...(meaning it renders out once you lay it down on a timeline) so gaming cards tend to render our projects even faster...

I can pump out a 30second - 60 second self-contained movie render in under 2 minutes with over 9 layers of video and 16 layers of audio with our cards (Nvidia 6800 Ultras)... :D

Archived