Home

Microsoft sets price for Xbox 360

ChAiNz.2da

Yeah, I was almost set to "give in" and buy a console just for giggles.. but I'm now swayed against one again. But who knows... I'm 'quirky' to say the least hehehe...

Here's Xbox's Official Announcement on the pricing (from their site) which basically just adds more 'fluff' words to tempt the consumer ;)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0817-xbox360launchdetails.htm

'hundreds of dollars worth of extras'??? oh yeah, i forgot: when you own the hardware, you get to set the prices. lets do some pricework, shalll we??

• $99 for the 20GB HD
  • $20 to make the controller wireless
  • $29 for the TV remote
  • $19 for the XBox Live headset
    --------
    $167 is the final price. so, i guess since its 'hundreds of dollars worth of extras', my guess is that the piece of plastic (aka, the faceplate) has a pricetag of at least $33 since 'hundreds' implies at least two hundred dollars.

like i said: its a ripoff. and if you'd like me to do some comparisons to current items that you can find at a Walmart or Best Buy, i'd be more than happy to oblige you.

This thing really doesn't sound that appealing...

gotta agree with you there, especially after the price announcement...

I'm still interested in the PS3.. or perhaps even the Revolution now with the discussion about it in the Swamp...

I'd like to see some hardcore test results or reviews though.. ;)

I'm losing interest in getting the new xbox now... My xbox still has 50,000+ blocks of memory (the amount it came with 3 years ago) and I have never used a memory card, and now I will have to pay for a HD or buy memory cards? This is not good.

i was never really interested in the xbox 360, but after i heard the pricing for it on CNN (TV), i was even less interested (hehehe)... I am however interested in the PS3, i read the specs, sounds really cool... I am waiting for the official pricing for it, but i suspect that they will go for about the same as the xbox, roughly $399...

I just heard that the games will be $60 each.

$299.00 (For Standard XBox 360)

$399.00 (For Extended Version of XBox 360)

$60.00 (For Games)

After three or four years, the prices will start to drop. I just heard a buisness report, which Microsoft decided to not make the XBox 360 backwards compatible. I bought my XBox when it hit $150, for I thought that is all it is worth. I don't think playing games is worth $400.00. I rather stick with my computer. I think computer games will make a come back, for people will be declined to purchase the 360. However, there are going to be those people who will buy it on first run. There was a consumer report about the gamming companies not being ready for such a big jump. Since the original XBox never had games, which utilized all the power and specs, game companies are too far behind. I have never played a Playstation, so I don't know if it is good or not.

Like 'Empire at War', where the specs are rediculous, I think people will buy them. However, not too many people will. Plus, when Playstation came on the scene, the company lost revenue, for there were not too many publishers ready. I think Playstation and PC will own the market. Unfortunate.... Thank god for computers...

For me a 20GB hardrive is useless. Since my computer came with a 160GB drive, I will be all set for some time.

After just reading that CNN report, I have some itresting questions:

1. What if they release a game that utilizes the specs of the advanced version of 360?

2. Would we have to upgrade the 360 from standard, so we will be compatible for all games?

3. Will this game system cost more that what it is worth?

By the way you can't buy a 20GB Hardrive at Best Buy, but from a small company you can buy it for $20. Therefore, the XBox 360 is way over priced.. You can also buy a computer for $300 with the same specs...

I rather stick with my computer. I think computer games will make a come back, for people will be declined to purchase the 360. However, there are going to be those people who will buy it on first run.

It's part of the cycle but don't think that computer gaming will make a come back until at the least 2008.

Like 'Empire at War', where the specs are rediculous,

Because you do have the system specs? I know RTS are ressource whores but you can't make such an assumption yet.

I think people will buy them. However, not too many people will.

Huh?

Plus, when Playstation came on the scene, the company lost revenue, for there were not too many publishers ready. I think Playstation and PC will own the market. Unfortunate.... Thank god for computers...

PC doesn't own the market. PC is smaller then the X Box, Playsation 2 and GCN.

Right last year, console game sales we're about $5 billion while PC gaming only got $1 Billion.

See the difference? PC gaming is very expensive unlike console gaming. Consoles also much easier to access. It's simple plug&play.

For me a 20GB hardrive is useless. Since my computer came with a 160GB drive, I will be all set for some time.

That's because a computer has more then just a few MP3s and save files for games. I'll dare you to fill up a 20 GB hard drive for a console.

After just reading that CNN report, I have some itresting questions:

1. What if they release a game that utilizes the specs of the advanced version of 360?

They have the same specs outside of the hard drive.

2. Would we have to upgrade the 360 from standard, so we will be compatible for all games?

Why? The Core system is the same.

3. Will this game system cost more that what it is worth?

Yes.

By the way you can't buy a 20GB Hardrive at Best Buy, but from a small company you can buy it for $20. Therefore, the XBox 360 is way over priced.. You can also buy a computer for $300 with the same specs...

No, you can't. A 300$ computer wouldn't even be able to run Half Life 2 at minimum settings.

And try to buy a regular hard drive at Best Buy and plug it into your X Box 360.

Right now Im convinced that everyone working on the Xbox360 must be high off their a**es right now, charging people for the HD, and scapping the backwards compatability is one of the stupidest things that they could've done. But I'll probably just stick with using my PC, the only reason I was even going to bother with the 360 was Halo3, so as long as they make a PC version it's no big loss to me i guess.

That's because a computer has more then just a few MP3s and save files for games. I'll dare you to fill up a 20 GB hard drive for a console.

i think the biggest point, though, is that HD technology is pretty darn cheap these days. charging people $99 dollars for a HD is a really hefty fee. sure, you may not fill it up with nothing but game saves and a couple of MP3's, but charging somebody $99 for something that probably only costs around $30 to make is just a tad ridiculous.

Well the 360 399.00 package is the better deal if you add up the prices for the cheaper system, but the PS3 has better performance numbers than the 360. I have all three systems now, will never buy a nintendo again but will probably get both the 360 and the PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived