Home

Combat Simulation Arena v4

stoffe

Hey, I tried installing this mod but for some reason I get this error:

"Cannot create file D:\......\SWKOTOR\dialog.tlk."

Anyone got any clues as to how this can be fixed?

Hard to say without more information...

Is the specified install path is says correct? I.e. does it really point to a dialog.tlk file? And if so, is this file write protected?

Is your game, or any modding utility running? If another application is working on the file Windows might not give the installer access to it.

Just to be sure: You are installing this in KotOR2:TSL right? The path quoted above might suggest it was the first KotOR. :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a few fights, enemies somehow got stuck either up in the spectator ring, or even into the walls. The first I can get around, I just stand up to the wall and use Spirit Exodus. My clone would be "forced" up to the spectator area, so he would kill him. The other was more serious, however, since they were actually inside the walls. I couldn't get to them, or my clone, and I couldn't get out through the force field or armoband because the match was still active.

Hmm, odd. Which game type were you playing when this happened? The only way I think this could happen would be if you were standing right on top of one of the spawn spots around the arena edge in a Gauntlet or Defend match, causing the game to bump the spawn location to the nearest space outside your collision area.

Unfortunately the game does not take walls or line of sight into concideration when doing things like this, and I guess someone could end up in the spectator area.

While it's impossible to prevent it from happening (unless I move the spawn locations further from the walls I suppose), I could add a check to the arena fighters script where they are jumped back into the arena center if their Z coordinate is higher than the arena floor, though it might slow things down a bit in matches with many simultaneous combatants.

Also, during several of my matches, I saved right in the middle. When I reload, I find myself in the arena with all my enemies gone. I also cannot get out, since the force field is locked, and so I had to use the armband.

Huh? Strange, I've never experienced any problems with saving and reloading in the middle of a fight. What kind of match type where you fighting when this happened?

Hmm, odd. Which game type were you playing when this happened?

As I remember, both were pit fights. The on where they got stuck up in the spectator ring was against the Ubese, the other where they were in the wall was with Queen Talia and the Royal Guard. I don't remember them being up there at the start, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on so I might have missed it.

Huh? Strange, I've never experienced any problems with saving and reloading in the middle of a fight. What kind of match type where you fighting when this happened?

The first one was a pit fight against the Jedi Strike Team, and the second was in the middle of the Guantlet Battle against the dark Jedi (the one that Ajuur gives you). It might have been other problems, because during the Guantlet battle one I lost my party members, had a wierd party selection screen message, crashed, etc. (I already asked about this issue in another thread a little bit ago). But the other game, against the Strike Team, wasn't affected at all like this, and didn't give me this message. My party members and I just reloaded into the arena and there was no one there.

BTW, maybe you could make a computer panel that gives the option to abort the match from inside the arena or something - just a thought. And on other question I wanted to ask, how come you can choose for you to watch a fight with the "Dark Lords of the Sith" and "Remnants of the Jedi Council", but you can't fight them yourself? :)

ive been having some trouble installing this, this has been what im doing but im stuck, sorry if i am wasting your time by misreading something

1) i downloaded the mod

2) i put it on a floppy disk (to transfer computers)

3) i opened the mod installer thing for winrar

4) (i read the readme) I chose the installation place and began installation

5) then it said cannot create dialog.tlk then it kicked me off....

5) then it said cannot create dialog.tlk then it kicked me off....

Did you select the game folder, and not the override folder, when it asked you for the location of your game?

From your description it sounds like it cannot find the dialog.tlk file, which is located in your main game folder.

If you did select the game folder, check that the dialog.tlk file isn't write protected (and if you are using an account on your computer without Admin privilegies, make sure you have permission to modify the file).

I also found a bug with Bastila Task force, I press it (in all modalities) and it crashes the game. What about Malak and revan then? also the rancor I think is small and way too fast... he can almost run!! he should be slower in moving...

RE: BastilaTF - Never had any problems with that, or heard from anyone else that there are problems with it. I would guess that this is caused by some kind of conflict with another mod you have installed. "It crashes!" doesn't leave much to form a problem diagnosis from. :p

RE: RevanAndMalak - I suppose I could add them as combatants if I do another version of the arena, though I'd have to think of something to make them unique from the legions of saber wielders already present in the Arena mod to make it feel meaningful. :)

RE: The Rancor - Don't know anything about Rancors supposed to be slow. They do strike me as a predator species after all, and a predator would starve to death pretty soon if they are too slow to catch their prey. :) As for the size, it's either Baby Rancor or "too big to fit inside the arena" Rancor, so I had to pick the lesser of two evils (no pun intended).

yes i did that, but i think i figured out what i did wrong. i have been trying to install to the game disk in the game drive.. sorry im really new at this, ill try again in like two seconds and tell you if it works

edit 1:got it... lol im such a newbie.. but wait, where do i enter the mode?

edit 2: oh man i feel like an idiot now, in my excitment i forgot to keep reading the read me thing

T7 edit: guitrntildead please read the forum rules before posting again. Double/triple posting is against forum rules

The armband has forgotten where i was it says...The armband has lost track of where you came from...uh oh. Just wondering how do i get back?

Odd... the only situation I can imagine this happening normally would be if you use the Warp console command to get to the Arena module instead of using the armband.

The name of the module you are in when the armband is activated is stored in a variable in the save game. That error message only shows if that variable is empty.

Have you...

1. Used the armband to enter the Arena module?
  2. Used KSE or some other savegame editor between entering and trying to leave?
  3. Installed a Mod that overwrites the "globalcat.2da" file (in the Override folder) after installing the arena module? The installer for the CSArena mod adds a new entry to this file which is used by the armband. If this entry is missing (if another mod overwrites rather than modifies the 2DA file), it would cause problems such as what you described.

whenever I try to dl one of your mods, it is always a .rar file.... X_X is there a way past this or is just the way the cookie crumbles....

RAR archives is a way of packing and compressing files, similar to the more well-known ZIP, but with much better compression.

You can find a free RAR unpacker here.

Read this thread here. Around post #17 or so. ;)

Hmm, maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but isn't the downloadable WinRAR a trial version, which will expire after a while unless you buy it (which is overkill IMHO if you just want to use it to unpack RAR files)?

man, this is da bomb! You gotta make another version of this, you just gotta.

BTW, everytime one of the lightsaber wielding folks does (adv.) lightsaber throw

The lightsaber completely dissappears. and when i do the space turret simulator,

the ships all shoot immediatly at me and before i can even see where they are shooting from, i lose... :cry6:

• 3 weeks later...

I used the combat armband to get into the CSA but now I can't get out. It says, "The Armband does not remember where you came from. Uh oh."

I am flippin' flamin' angry right now. AAAAAARGHH!!! Please help, I can't play TSL!

I've installed several mods or so, and I've been wondering how to get them to work. Despite me putting the required files into override, the overrides either never occur, or the action expected to happen never does. . . Any help please send to me at ~snip~

Please don't post your e-mail address as per Forum Rules ~ ChAiNz.2da

I used the combat armband to get into the CSA but now I can't get out. It says, "The Armband does not remember where you came from. Uh oh."

I am flippin' flamin' angry right now. AAAAAARGHH!!! Please help, I can't play TSL!

Just turn on the cheat console then type "warp 003EBO" without the " " and it should take you back to the Ebon Hawk also instead of the armband you can type "warp st_arena". Anyway great mod im loving this :twogun:

I've installed several mods or so, and I've been wondering how to get them to work. Despite me putting the required files into override, the overrides either never occur, or the action expected to happen never does. . . Any help please send to me at ~snip~

Please don't post your e-mail address as per Forum Rules ~ ChAiNz.2da

It helps if you read the readme files that come with the mods and if there are no readme files then be a little more specific on the mods and problems you are having... also try contacting the mods makers for help... Just a heads up... ;)

PS. welcome to the forums, hope you find everything you need... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well Stoffe I'm impressed with the latest release of the armband combat arena BUT no matter what I do I have the same problem across all of the versions it's had.

I do EVERYTHING your supposed to with the arena fine, BUT when I hit the band again to go back to the spot I left in and it crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know it's installed correctly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

:ben:

General Kenobi

I do EVERYTHING your supposed to with the arena fine, BUT when I hit the band again to go back to the spot I left in and it crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know it's installed correctly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

A few others have reported this as well. But since the game has never ever crashed on me while entering or leaving the Arena module, even when I actively tried to make it happen by doing odd things when attempting to transition, and doing it from a variety of different locations in the game I have no idea what the problem might be. I can't fix a problem I can't find. :)

So unless someone has any insight into what may cause this I will have to assume this is caused by some odd conflict with another Mod, which I do not have installed. (Unless of course you happen to have no other mods installed, so I can scrap that theory as well. :))

I can't recall stoffe but does this mod have any texture files included in it?

The reason I ask is because a rogue ".tga" file with incorrect dimensions caused many of the crashes with the Holowan Plugin for some people. Of course if there aren't any textures then I couldn't make a guess.

Well Stoffe I'm impressed with the latest release of the armband combat arena BUT no matter what I do I have the same problem across all of the versions it's had.

Make sure there is a "string" (value) in your globalcat.2da named ST_LAST_MODULE. I'm pretty sure that is what gets "set" once you use the armband to enter the arena. If you've warped to the arena, you may be in trouble ;)

Also, and I'm not sure, are you loading the arena from a savegame? If so, does anyone know if string values actually "keep" the value stored if you exit a game.. or is it a temporary memory sorta thing?

Archived