Home

Revolution controller revealed

coupes.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But still, its just still way too goofy to be waving a remote control around for half an hour, in a $50 game. Its weird.
Sounds like a case of the closed-minded gamer emerging.

Doesn't matter to me if you think it'd be weird/embarassing/whatever. I think the potential for amazing immersion in the games is what will draw me in. I mean, you can ACTUALLY SWING YOUR SWORD. That right there sells me. If anyone makes a game that properly utilizes it, there's no way you'll keep me from buying one.

WOW!! I guess you didn't read the thread at all. :rolleyes:

Hmm...I completly despise Nintendo and all its creations...so why would I take the time to read an entire thread dedicated to it when it'd be so much easier to scroll through it and comment on a single thing?

Have fun with your remote control though. I'll stick to something that makes sense.

Hmm...I completly despise Nintendo and all its creations...so why would I take the time to read an entire thread dedicated to it when it'd be so much easier to scroll through it and comment on a single thing?

Have fun with your remote control though. I'll stick to something that makes sense.

By reading the thread instead of skipping to the end, you could have avoided to make a fool out of yourself by posting about stuff you don't know **** about.

And please drop the "superiority act", it's getting old.

A lightsaber game has the potential to be awesome. It would be like what they tried (and failed) to do with the mouse in the original Obi-wan game idea. Or like they attempted in Die By the Sword.

For games like FPS, flight sims and driving games I don't think you are going to need to be waving the controller around, you can just sit with your arms resing on your legs as you would with a normal controler, and simply rotate at the wrist like you would with a joystick or mouse. It just you will be able to do it in more axes.

However for games like sports games its likely that the movement will be bigger, as they will be trying to simulate the movements of the sport.

The major success of Eye Toy and Dance Mat games implies that a lot of people are quite happy to wave their arms around and make big movements when playing games.

Of course it all depends on how it works, but now I've started thinking about it the potential for a cool lightsaber game is huge. I'm going to decend into my own twisted mind for a while and imagine it...

I've been saying since the moment they announced it, "Just imagine a jedi knight game...".

So yeah. I hope they do make one, that'd be so sweet.

One thing I've noticed, a lot of stupid questions are seeming to get asked about the revolution controller. Possibly the stupidest one I've read would be "what if you throw the controller while swinging it?"

It's called gripping, that's like asking "omg wut if he throwz teh swrodz wiel swingn at dat 1 guy ovr theer?".

so why would I take the time to read an entire thread dedicated to it when it'd be so much easier to scroll through it and comment on a single thing?.

Because then maybe your posts would be relevant instead of your high-horse superiority complexed flame-baiting.

Nobody here cares if you despise nintendo or any of it's creations, despite the fact that you wouldn't be playing your "video games that make sense" if it weren't for the big N.

This is a thread discussing the revolution and it's controller. If you want to contribute, read the thread, and then have an opinion. Throwing out blanket statements based on a few snippets of thread does nothing, since you obviously didn't even fully understand what you were commenting on.

Who said anything about a superiority act? Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion about something.

And besides: Nintendo wouldn't have jack without Atari, which wouldn't have jack without arcade machines, which wouldn't have jack without Pong

Looks to me like it was coupes and myself who said something about a superiority act. It has nothing to do with you having a different opinion. Plenty have come in with differing opinions.

And just because Nintendo built on older video games, doesn't mean your "sensical" video games would exist without them.

And besides: Nintendo wouldn't have jack without Atari, which wouldn't have jack without arcade machines, which wouldn't have jack without Pong
What does that have to do with anything? That logic can be applied to any technology. And PS2 wouldn't have jack without PS1. Hell, Pong wouldn't have jack without TV's, which wouldn't have jack without electricity, which wouldn't have jack without physics.

One thing I've noticed, a lot of stupid questions are seeming to get asked about the revolution controller. Possibly the stupidest one I've read would be "what if you throw the controller while swinging it?"

It's called gripping, that's like asking "omg wut if he throwz teh swrodz wiel swingn at dat 1 guy ovr theer?".

hehehe

I can see someone playing Zelda and trying to throw the boomerang!

"AARRGG!!!!, I BROKE THE TV!!"

hehe

There is a really cool, but quite long and detailed look at innovatinon in the games industry, genre contraction and the revolution approach here: http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html

I got the link from Penny Arcade, but I think its been slashdotted and linked to from various other places as well, so don't be surprised if it goes down.

Archived