Home

Beta test (no pay subscription required)

Stryker412

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, mines should be effective against vehicles, but I feel that they should be used as defensive weapons. They should be set like traps around your command post, choke points, or a well traveled road to disrupt infantry and seriously weaken vehicles.

Right now though I think they're too powerful against infantry, especially in the hands of the heavy weapons trooper, who already has a rocket launcher to fight vehicles with.

Now they can just rush tight, indoor maps dropping mines left and right using there rockets to finish of any infantry who tries to stand and fight them. Most of the others roll around to avoid there rockets and end up landing on a mine he just dropped, killing several teamates in the process. Thus racking up more kills for the heavy weapons guy.

I've only seen 4-7 human players die from that Geonosian Weaon in SWBF2. Can those turrets even shoot to the ground? Seems, I'll just stick to the sniper.

According to the EULA you agreed to, SWBF2 Beta can be considered spyware. It sould fit right in with the rest of your programs.

Well, it would if it would run! *Wah* I feel robbed. Oh well, better get used to it.

Nope, he doesn't turn fully steath, he still very visible, on both levels he is present (as an Imperial I've seen people use it and think it works). It is just awful! Lol, it can't be a movement tool because you can't sprint if you use it (it just turns off, and you are really visible, so sprinting is your life) and it doesn't allow you to get anywhere because everybody rushes to kill the "invisible" (haha) guy. He's so lame! Please devs, please make him better.

Other than that (and the Imperial Officer) I'm impressed with the beta. It's quite good fun!

Right, mines should be effective against vehicles, but I feel that they should be used as defensive weapons. They should be set like traps around your command post, choke points, or a well traveled road to disrupt infantry and seriously weaken vehicles.

I guess I'm a hardcore JK series guy, because I see nothing wrong with using mines as offensive weapons. ;) Seriously though it takes skill, otherwise they blow themselves up.

And wouldn't you rather dump your load of mines before you get killed than save them all out of some sense of "honor"? If people lack skill, who cares. That's like arguing that guns shouldn't be able to fire fast or have a lot of ammo because people with bad aim will "spam" them... it's not really much of an argument, no offense.

Right now though I think they're too powerful against infantry, especially in the hands of the heavy weapons trooper, who already has a rocket launcher to fight vehicles with.

Are you saying they should have seperate Anti-Infantry and Anti-Vehicle mines? Because otherwise I fail to see why a mine should destroy a vehicle, but not kill a single infantry man who steps on one... it just makes the game more complicated, but I could see it being done easily enough (like the Concussion Grenades/Thermal Detonators thing).

Now they can just rush tight, indoor maps dropping mines left and right using there rockets to finish of any infantry who tries to stand and fight them. Most of the others roll around to avoid there rockets and end up landing on a mine he just dropped, killing several teamates in the process. Thus racking up more kills for the heavy weapons guy.

Considering they need everything they can get to destroy vehicles, I say they need those mines. You're saying they should instead just have double the rocket ammo? Because otherwise they don't stand a chance. You use up all your ammo destroying one vehicle (or the rare chance that you get a hot spot, you have a little left over to barely scratch the paint on another vehicle), and boom, you're sunk. Heavy Weapons guys racking up kills.. nothing wrong with that. ;) They shouldn't go toe to toe with somebody like that in the first place, unless they're suicidal!

I saw the Imperial Officer was good in the first alphas (a SWBFII presentation movie from April) so why did they change it.Also, why do they give the Imperial Officer a Commando Pistol that shoots sonic blasts?(forgot the name, the blasts out of the Sonic Blasters of the Geonosians)

What was he like there? Is that video still available?

I know the Officer was present in the SWBF1 XBox demo, which I never played since I don't have an Xbox... was he similar to that in any way?

They could change the mines to be some sort of electric mine. It would give off an EMP or something and fry/damage the electronics on the vehicles. A person would get shocked, but not blown up. It could take away %50 of the player's health, and the rocket launchers would be given 4-5 mines.

I know the Officer was present in the SWBF1 XBox demo, which I never played since I don't have an Xbox... was he similar to that in any way?

No.

In SWBF he had a standard blaster pistol, orbital strikes, supply dispenser, ability to uncover spies and track all enemies on the map.

Well you cannot set off your own mines in Battlefront so I think it takes a bit more skill to do it in JK, anyway I guess my view about how mines should work is just diffrent from yours, I see them as a sort of defensive tool placed around a command post or other key area to defend it against enemy infantry and vehicles alike. Not an argument just my opinion.

I really don't have a problem with mines killing infantry, I'm sorry my statement made it seem I wanted them to do no damage to infantry. I just think that they are being used incorrectly. Online the only time you see a heavy weapons troopers using mines against vehicles is when they run in front of a walker trailing mines behind them. All the other time the vehicle usually destroys the mine before detonating it, usually accidently or on purpose.

Instead they are used to attack command posts, killing people as they spawn before they have a chance to fight, even if theres a spawn invinciblity on, the rocket trooper usually gets you with his launcher before you even get up. It's kind of ironic, the maps were the heavy weapons trooper preforms the best is the maps where vehicles play almost no role.

Normally I have no problem with people using things "incorrectly", I think it's fun and kind of creative. Just so long as there is some balance, sure you can try to rush a command post with your rocket launcher and sniper rifle, but they are very innacurate weapons so you have to be pretty skilled (or lucky) to take over a command post on your own with them. But if the sniper rifle or rocket launcher fired as quickly as the blaster rifle, well the challenge is gone, everyone would be the sniper or the heavy weapons trooper and not just rack up kills but dominate the other players.

Mines arn't as overpowered as say a Heavy Repeating Super Rocket Launcher of Ultimate Pwnage, I just think it's kind of cheap the way some players use them. I guess I just think that they would fit better with the technician, who is more of a behind the scenes guy, responsibe for keeping things repaired and defending the base. Although I will admit removing the mines would require some balancing. Like maybe giving them a blaster rifle, not as accurate or as quick as the soldiers blaster rifle this one fires huge shots that can damage and finish off a weakened vehicle, and is very damaging to infantry but is slower and more cumbersome then a standerd blaster rifle making it less effective vs infantry.

I do recall seeing him the E3 demo at gamespot....hopefully this will help...http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/starwarsbattlefront2/index.html?sid=6130244

Also something concerning beta....ahh...you might want to scan your computer of viruses each time after you play it....cuase the night after I played it, I turned on the computer and it turned out the I had a system32 error or something like that. So, the computer had to be brought into a shop and repaired....so you might want to scan your computer after playing the beta.

Ouch. ;P Well considering I do a scan every other day and regular registry scans/spyware scans I think I should be okay. But then of course Lucasarts and Pandemic take no responsibility if the beta screws your computer over according to the agreement you sign when you install it, so couldn't hurt to be on the safe side!

The beta is very unstable... I find that if I host a game in the morning, when I come home in the afternoon, it's no longer running. And yes, I set an admin password on it, so it's not like somebody is likely "hacking in and shutting it down." :p

Also something concerning beta....ahh...you might want to scan your computer of viruses each time after you play it....cuase the night after I played it, I turned on the computer and it turned out the I had a system32 error or something like that. So, the computer had to be brought into a shop and repaired....so you might want to scan your computer after playing the beta.

Not many viruses would cause a system32 error. If you remember the error, I could tell you what caused it. Did the computer boot up into a blue screen? Did the computer boot up into windows and then give you the error? The chances it was caused by a virus from SWBF2 is very, very, very

small.

This game is a nightmare! Everytime I join a game, (empty or full), seconds later the game crashes. My computer is meant for gaming so I know that my specs have nothing to do with it. (I just bought the 7800 graphic card) No one has an answer in the bug boards, help!!

Other poeple haveing my problem or close to it

http://www.forumplanet.com/3dactionplanet/swbf2beta/topic.asp?fid=14924&tid=1747480

2 things:

1. Its only a beta, it can only get better.

2. Its multiplayer and you might just be experiencing lag or a bad connection when connecting to the server.

Dont worry, be happy! :):):):)

does anyone know how to create a game? ive been lookin around but havnt seen anything about how to do it. i think the game will be good though, alot better than the first. also for me the PC version will be alot better to get since it runs flawlessly (unless im on a really bad server) and since i know how to add custom vehicle models to the game ;)

When I got my computer fixed up...the person who fixed it deleted Beta for the computer...so I would have to download it again to play it...but I am not going to bother. Now that I have the PS2 demo for SWBF2 :blueblas1

Did you check the Wndows recycling bin? It could still be in there...

Archived