Home

Recommend a Spyware Scanner?

Lady Jedi

I use Microsoft's for spyware, which works pretty good, and then I use Avast! for virus protection, which is a very good product. Both free. I have used Spybot in the past, but it seems nowadays it isn't as top-notch as it used to be compared to some other programs. I have also used Ad-Aware before, and that works fine as well.

I use several (thus the paranoia) :xp: .. hehehe

1) CW SmartKiller

2) CWShredder

3) Ad-Aware

4) Hijack This

5) RapidBlaster Killer

6) followed by a virus scan with PC-Cillin

Use them in the particular order listed and it'll catch anything sitting on your computer that dares to interfere with system :dev11:

I'd provide links but I'm hungry.. hehehe.. Google for best results ;)

On a side-note Spybot S&D is a great prog as well, use it in conjunction (or replacement) for Ad-Aware and you'll still have no worries ;) As for MS' spybot searching... though I wouldn't depend on it soley, it isn't that bad of a scanner. It's relatively simple and automatically fires up on a schedule (if you use Microsoft's Updater)... though again, 3rd party scanners are advised to "help" out where MS lacks :)

I don't have the same remarks for MS' Firewall however.. frankly, get a 3rd party one... I'll keep it "nice" and leave it at that, but just a warning... MS Firewall doesn't catch everything.. trust me.. I learned the hard way :fist:

I do use them AVG Adaware and Spybot. Typically when I'm running scans, I start with Adaware, then Spybot, and AVG last.

I'm going to stick with that, seeing as how those seem to be highly recommended. And if I run into problems Chainz seems to have a good strategy. ;)

Thanks, guys.

I use McAfee Viruscan along with AdAware and Registry Mechanic. I guess I should probably add to it some of the other ones you guys suggested. I use AVG for a long time, but it just couldn't compare to McAfee in terms of catching stuff and actually cleaning it! Then again, it costs money (though through my university I get it free, woohoo!).

Since nobody mentioned it, I'll do.. <.....<;;

I use Linux. *sound of a lonely cricket while everybody stares*

Well, OK, it's not anti-spy in the classical sense.. but.. it works for me. ^^

However, under Windows I used to use AdAware, Zonelab, Spybot and AntiVir PE.

Ad-Aware

Spybot

The Microsoft one

Spyware Blaster (not really a scanner... keeps new spyware from getting installed)

WinPatrol

I also use Zone Alarm for my software firewall (my router also has a hardware firewall) and Norton 2006 for anti-virus.

Norton is the only one I actually pay for. All the rest are the freeware versions.

Ad-aware is excellent.

Spybot S&D complements it very well.

Spywareblaster does different stuff, but integrates well with SB S&D.

I used to use ZOnealarm as a firewall, but it's suffered from major bloatware recently and uses far too many system resources for my liking, so i've switched to Sygate Personal Firewall which is also free, and seems to use far leass resources.

I still use AVG antivirus, which always used to be great. I've not been so keen on a few of their recent moves though, and i've heard good things about Avast!... so i may switch to that in the future.

If you've been buying Sony CDs then you might want to try out RootKitRemover or F-Secure Blacklight, which are both free standalone executables that don't need installing. If you find a Sony Rootkit don't try and uninstall it without doing some research first though, as it will kill your cd drives.

Archived