Home

D20 system intergrated in realisted combat mode for KOTOR III !

Windu Chi

Who think these ideas will be more realisted than the current non free will system?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who think these ideas will be more realisted than the current non free will system?

• yes:I want ultimate real Jedi Knight experiance with free will.
    • no:I want the computer to do all the work, I don't want freedom in combat.

When I posted last time with the thread, ''realisted combat or D20''.I did"nt realise the importance of D20 system to realism in a game like KOTOR. So with time to think of the usefullness of the D20 system, I came to the realization that by combing D20 with free will combat it will make a exceptional Jedi Knight game concerning the combat portion of the game. Well I imagine this combination will work like ; in a combat situation if you swing your weapon to hit the enemy at a specific region on their body d20 will determine if you will hit that area or miss that specific area, but in a consitent realisted effect ,base on the combat levels/other skills ;defense, offense(this should be a included attribute in KOTOR III) dexterity, strength, intelligence ( this will determine how good your character can use the combat skills and adapt those skills) for a specific combat situation) and wisdom( this determines what right combat skills to use in the combat situation) you aquire/learn in the game that will determine the outcome in a specific combat situation.

Also I hope the developers READ this post to include these ideas, because I believe this make a great game that will have a big return.

:lsduel::lsduel:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I, and I think you will find many others, do not want any twitch based combat systems in the KOTOR series.

Same here. I think that your system is even worst than your JK idea, because in JK when you hit you kill, but if it was like your new idea its hitting a lot of times and 'missing' even though you took off someone neck.

I, and I think you will find many others, do not want any twitch based combat systems in the KOTOR series.

As the others, I agree with Prime. There's a charm by the KotOR battle system. And It should never change, it may improve, but the setup itself MUST not change!

I have to agree with the others any sort of "realisted" combat in KOTOR III would be really bad...

So with time to think of the usefullness of the D20 system, I came to the realization that by combing D20 with free will combat it will make a exceptional Jedi Knight game concerning the combat portion of the game.

Pure RPG's are not FPS or action games, they are not supposed to require button mashing or tests of reflexes to progress the storyline.

The D20 system will never allow, by it's very nature, for any sort of 'realisted' combat system that you seem to desire. This is not going to happen... I'm sorry but lets leave Jedi Academy gameplay to Jedi Academy, and KOTOR gameplay to KOTOR. ;)

It seems to me that many of you need to realize the roots of the RPG... I hear countless posters whining about poor graphics and wanting "flashy" visuals, and fluid animations.

RPG's are at their core tabletop PnP style games converted to be playable on a PC, they are not known for graphics, they are very primitive dialogue driven games that have never been known for their eyecandy. Many of the RPG's in history only allowed movement in 4 directions, and combat was a poorly animated pixelated monster appearing on the screen in front of you and combat would be just numbers on some part of the screen, you might never even see your PC, let alone any combat animations.

NWN, the Baldurs Gate Games, and others of their like, came along and gave us some nice® eyecandy, until KOTOR came along and spoiled us with all that it had... now like ol' Oliver Twist some of you are now asking for "more" instead of just being glad for what you have. :)

Just my 2 cents! :D

Count me in here.

Prime is right here. I don't think anybody wants the combat system from KotOR to be changed, only enhanced.

Not many of us do anyway. I just want enhancements as well. New and multiple animations for standard and special attacks etc. would be an order. :)

The D20 system will never allow, by it's very nature, for any sort of 'realisted' combat system that you seem to desire. This is not going to happen... I'm sorry but lets leave Jedi Academy gameplay to Jedi Academy, and KOTOR gameplay to KOTOR. ;)

Sorry to break up everyone's ideas, but the biggest D20 game ever to be realised, the biggest epic, will have some different and fresh ideas. I'm talking about "Dungeon and Dragons Online", based on Eberron set. It will implement a mixed system. All the rules still apply, but now if you want your character to do something (and your group to work togheter) you'll have to take a decision and do it yourself. Like blocking an attack, when blocking your shield defense still determines if you're succesful or not, but now your character will not block by default, so the bonus defense provided by your shield will apply only when you make effective use of it.

I think that the same system should be applied to all the others D20 games, not to make it more realistic, because it will never be realistic, but to make it more dinamyc and interactive, just my opinion, but the system is suffering changes. :lsduel:

Well, with a JKA system exactly this is not gonna happen::lsduel:

If you yourself direct your swings there will only very occasionally be any sort of parrying/dueling, simply because you cannot do a precise hit or block using a PC mouse/keyboard/controller.

I prefer "realistic"/good-looking combat over challenging combat.

Sorry to break up everyone's ideas, but the biggest D20 game ever to be realised, the biggest epic, will have some different and fresh ideas. I'm talking about "Dungeon and Dragons Online", based on Eberron set. It will implement a mixed system. All the rules still apply, but now if you want your character to do something (and your group to work togheter) you'll have to take a decision and do it yourself. Like blocking an attack, when blocking your shield defense still determines if you're succesful or not, but now your character will not block by default, so the bonus defense provided by your shield will apply only when you make effective use of it.

I think that the same system should be applied to all the others D20 games, not to make it more realistic, because it will never be realistic, but to make it more dinamyc and interactive, just my opinion, but the system is suffering changes.

Sorry to burst your bubble there Soulforged, but this game you are referring to "Dungeon and Dragons Online" isn't a "pure" SP RPG or D20 game, it is a hybrid system made for MMORPG PvP online play with an increased twitch factor that is undesirable for most in a SP RPG.

So that won't work... and wouldn't be a KOTOR game anyway... while a future SW RPG might integrate these features, I don't see it happening as it would take away from the D&D MMORPG by doing so. ;)

Sorry to burst your bubble there Soulforged, but this game you are referring to "Dungeon and Dragons Online" isn't a "pure" SP RPG or D20 game, it is a hybrid system made for MMORPG PvP online play with an increased twitch factor that is undesirable for most in a SP RPG.
Yes I know that. But I must tell you this: the same thing happened when Baldur's Gate came out (ie old users complaining), a bad critic to the system of real time playing. With the time all users have adapted themselves to this system. The same thing might happen again, and to be honest with you I'll like to see it, at least to be a little more interactive. Just think for a moment, if you're improving your character to be more skillful in combat, because that's the major part of the game, it will be great to at least have a more interactive system, apart of being more inclusive for others to join in the fight. Now I don't agree with a change of the rules, but I don't agree either with this kind of "throw your character in, and let him do the work". The only way in wich I may be able to accept it as a complete adventure, will be the case where the major part will involve character development aside of fighting. But that's no going to happen: 1st- because the industry of Star Wars Games is tending to the children demand, not to a more adult one (thus the simplicity of the plot, and the hack'n slash feeling that at least I had with both Kotor Games, not so with Baldur's Gate), 2nd- because it seems that it's better to throw a game to the market quickly, than to really develop it, and I'm not talking about bugs, I'm talking about plot, integration of rules, interaction system, variety of items and characters (and worlds) and diversity of customization. All this elements are shining for their ausence right now.

So that won't work... and wouldn't be a KOTOR game anyway... while a future SW RPG might integrate these features, I don't see it happening as it would take away from the D&D MMORPG by doing so. ;)
Oh I don't see it happening either (see post above), but at least I see a change in the MMORPG world based on the same set of rules.

the same thing happened when Baldur's Gate came out (ie old users complaining), a bad critic to the system of real time playing. With the time all users have adapted themselves to this system. The same thing might happen again, and to be honest with you I'll like to see it, at least to be a little more interactive.

As you can tell I am with the group that thinks the system is fine as it is. I, and many others, have no problems with the way things are presented. Adding any sort of reflex based features for the game is a negative. Believe it or not, some people who play these KOTOR games cannot even beat the Turret Mini-Game, these people would be left in the proverbial dust with the addition of 'twitch combat' features. :)

I think it would be cool if combat in Kotor 3 was kind of like the combat style of Star Wars Episode 3: The Video Game. If it were like that, you would fight as a Jedi waaaayyyy better, you could actually jump behind opponents and gut them, engage in the sickest light saber battles and fight pretty similar to Yoda, and Anakin Skywalker.

I think it would be cool if combat in Kotor 3 was kind of like the combat style of Star Wars Episode 3: The Video Game. If it were like that, you would fight as a Jedi waaaayyyy better, you could actually jump behind opponents and gut them, engage in the sickest light saber battles and fight pretty similar to Yoda, and Anakin Skywalker.

That's not how RPG combat works, though. It's not about "simulating actual lightsaber combat", it's about your character's stats versus his opponent's stats by invisible dice rolls.

To change the combat would be to change what KOTOR is about. KOTOR is NOT a twitch game. People who insist it needs to be changed to one should just stick to action games since RPGs obviously don't appeal to you if you're going to complain about something that is synonimous with RPGs.

Archived