Home

Darth Groovy's Top Ten Games of 2005!

Darth Groovy

Wow, I haven't even brought TEN games this year. The main reasons being that I'm too stupid and a fanboi. (What?)

Anyways, my favourites (in no order)

Call of Duty 2

Quake 4

Republic Commando

KotOR II (for PC)

and I want(ed):

F.E.A.R (will buy when have better PC)

Indigo Prophecy (probably)

Dungeon Siege II

Age of Empires III

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Why would I add that game to my list if it is not out yet? What is it GUARENTEED to be that good or what? That makes no sense to me at all. Forgive me if I find that to be quite absurd.

That's not what I meant. I was saying it may have made the 2005 list if it had been released on-time. Now it has to try out for the 2006 list :(

Can't have bought that many games this year, just don't seem to have time. And since I buy most things second Hand I doubt they are very up to date. Anyway, in some kind of reverse order:

Doom3 - ok, but wasn't worth upgrading my pc for.

Resident Evil (GC) - looks lovely, but not quite as good as i expected

Metal Gear Solid (GC) - good, weirder than i expected. Movie better than game.

The Hobbit - good but not great n64 style game

Buffy the vampire slayer - actually had some great touches, but insanely frustrating.

Deus Ex 2 - much better than I expected, but still not as cool as Deus Ex 1

Theif 3 - again, much better than expected - miss rope arrows though.

PGR2 - very good game, but i'm not sure it is quite as good as everyone makes out.

Farcry - much better than doom 3

SSX3 - awesome fun, possibly my fave game of the year after SoT

Sands of Time (think this was this year) - classic.

(i know most of these came out last year, but they are games I played this year! :p)

Here is my list of stuff - these aren't numbered because I don't want to give myself a headache by figuring out which is better (or worse) than the other:

Top 10

- Gothic II Gold (PC, RPG) - who cares if it is the collection of 2002 and the 2003 games ... this is the expansion's first US appearance, and it rocks!

- Castlevania DS (DS, RPG) - truly excellent game in every way.My GamerDad Review

- Advance Wars DS (DS, RPG) - ... just one more turn ...

- Fate (PC, RPG) - family friendly, budget friendly, casual gaming friendly, but still cool for hardcore RPG-ers like me. My GamerDad Review

- F.E.A.R. (PC, RPG) - marred by bland environs, this still absolutely rocked. My GamerDad Review

- Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA, Strategy) - they aren't 'units' they're your friends ... this one had me totally hooked My GamerDad Review

- LEGO Star Wars (PC, Action) - definitely falls in with some of my all-time fave Star Wars games! My GamerDad Review

- Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA, Action) - so much fun, even if it is shorter than the last one.

- GTA: Liberty City Stories (PSP, Action) - plays like yet another mini-console port, but who cares! It is a blast! My GamerDad Review

- Disney's ToonTown Online (PC, MMOG) - this is the family-fave ... my younger son it totally into it, and my wife even plays when we're not home (and she's a NON-gamer). My GamerDad Review

The 'meh' collection

- Quake IV (PC, FPS) - great looking, but mediocre gameplay and weapons and a who-cares plot ... (drat, my review isn't 'up' yet at gamerdad ... but you can guess where it's going ;) )

- Lord of the Rings Tactics (PSP, Strategy) - dark and bland, but decent combat My GamerDad Review

- Lunar: Dragon Song (DS, RPG) - not bad, not great, not very interesting, and a few anti-player decisions drag it down My GamerDad Review

- Lost in Blue (DS, RPG) - jeez, let me explore the island for 5 minutes without dying of hunger My GamerDad Review

- Untold Legends (PSP, RPG) - like Sacred for the PSP, it is fairly entertaining, but mindless hack-n-slash only takes you so far. My GamerDad Review

- Serious Sam II (PC, FPS) - somewhat prettier retread ... not much else to say My GamerDad Review

Bottomfeeders

- Coded Arms (PSP, FPS) - crap controls, crap camera, bland environs, crap 'story' ... crap game My GamerDad Review

- Dungeon Lords (PC, RPG) - definite candidate for least finished major game ever My GamerDad Review

- Restricted Area (PC, RPG) - short, stupid and bug-ridden My GamerDad Review

- MetalHeart: Replicants Rampage (PC, RPG) - there is a clear difference between 'paying homage' and 'peeing on the memory', and this Fallout clone takes the latter path, showing you can copy a great game without having a clue what made it great My GamerDad Review

- Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend (PC, FPS) - I admit to enjoying Postal 2 ... and I even replayed after finishign this to confirm I still liked it. I did - but this absolutely horrid expansion sucks all the fun, open-ness and any other positive qualities from the original. My GamerDad Review

... and I'm still hoping my wife gets me Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS and Final Fantasy IV GBA for Christmas ;)

Mike

Archived