Home

A strange idea perhaps, but it's an interesting one too...

Clone L68362

More or less, some RTS still have no MP mode. Off the top of my head, I can't name any, but I'm sure there is.

There's however, a big detail that needs to be taken into consideration: FPS are the most popular games these days. Most of the MP universe is dominated by the likes of Battlefield, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, Halo, etc.

Even during the glory days of the RTS, it never had the popularity of MP FPS (if you do not take Korea into account).

It becomes obvious when people talk about MP games and the first things that comes to their mind are Halo and Counter Strike.

There's no RTS designed for MP only also. Well, there is a few, but they turn out pretty bad. On the other hand, FPS designed for MP is a common sight and they turn out mostly good.

Indeed.

If i take a look at my games, many of them have multiplayer that aren't FPS:

-Need For Speed (any part)

-Lotr: battle For Middle Earth (RTS)

-Age of mythology (RTS)

-Neverwinter Nights ( Medieval kotor, YES multiplayer)

-Rome Total War (RTS)

-Dungeon Siege 2 (An RPG like kotor with again, Multiplayer)

So, many games have multiplayer, most jsut as extra. NvN and DS2 however, have a balaced, good Multiplayer.

Are those MP modes nearly as popular as any MP FPS? No.

My point is that MP has become an integral element of FPS games, so much that whenever anything MP is mentionned, people think about CS, Halo, etc.

I'm not saying that MP has never been in other games (because that's frankly insulting my intelligence), I'm saying that MP has become the "flagship" of FPS games, as opposed to racing games or RTS (non-MMO mind you), who still see most of their game rely on SP, since any of those can remain succesful without an MP mode.

I wouldn't mind seeing a mulitplayer Co-op mode. If any of you have played 007: Everything or Nothing, there was a seperate Co-op mode which was a side story to the single player campaign. It was shorter, but still a lot of fun and didn't interfere with the single player experience.

Maybe having a co-op mode which has you and a friend playing as Jedi Knights on a mission for the Republic which has some ties to the single player game would work. Maybe you would have to follow the tracks of the single player character, showing what happened after the single player character left. That sure would have been interesting for Onderon. Of course it would have to be unlocked so it wouldn't spoil the story.

Maybe even some co-op missions with T3 and HK-47 would be interesting. But, making the game itself co-op wouldn't be right, it would probably upset many fans. Adding co-op missions or a co-op campaign along with the single player game would satisfy both sides without taking anything away from the experience.

I...don't even know what that is supposed to mean.

I am trying to say that multiplayer's roots come from the meaning of games themselves. Games were a thing made for fun, but it is generally intended to be, in fact, a social tool. Games were meant to be played with many other people, so multiplayer comes from all games in general. The conclussion is that Multiplayer is not just a FPS element.

Still, that takes us back on the subject. KOTOR is made for Singleplayer in a very complex way, and inserting Multiplayer in it is like making water the material that builds mattery.

IF, and *only* IF everything else is completed or is ahead of schedule or can be done, then a duelling room/swoop/2player pazaak/chat would be nice, and maybe do what Dungeon Siege did and have the possibility of playing through again with the exact same storyline but 2 player? After all, you don't *have* to play it if you don't want to, and co-op works great over LAN :)

Edith: Ooh, and on a side, why are attempts to make KotOR/TSL multiplayer illegal/not allowed?

I said that it evolved to the point of being associated with the online FPS, whenever mentionned.

Now, let me put it this way:

Look at living beings. They are all very unique, some are even completely different from the rest. But they are all tied with one thing that makes them all, they are all tied with the thing from which it all began: Cells.

That's the same with multiplayer, it began in the roots of all games. So, from my point of view, associating only FPSs with multiplayer is like associating only Humans with life.

Well,

Liayd: Your arguments are better then most of the others, and i should know. I've been playing Unreal and Battlfield for ages, and you are right. it just adds an experience no other multiplayer game could give.

(Although i liked rushing down some orks using Rohan ins Lotr: Bfme)

• 2 weeks later...
No multiplayer for me. For once we have a good single player game. I prefer to see them develop the history, the characters and the worlds instead of adding multiplayer. I definitely don't want two "half-games"... and the dialogue part would suck.

Kudos to you Eleven out of ten! Absoloodle!

Yep, keep it single-player. A 2-player pazaak game might be fun, but I'd prefer to have a good single player game. Going from 1 player in K1/2 to MP for K3 would be a bit disappointing--it just wouldn't play the same.

Vlad--it's possible to socialize in a single player game, but it's a different kind of interaction (and I understand your point on games being a social activity). My son and I play together--he makes the choices, I do the mechanics (since it's my laptop we play on) and the math puzzles that he's too young to do. We get to laugh at HK's comments and talk about the choices he's making and how it could affect his character. Hubby and I end up chatting about how we fought x Boss, or how we handled a particular sidequest, what planet was best, what lightsaber upgrades work best in a given situation, etc. Granted, we're not physically playing at the exact same time against or with each other, so it's not quite the same as in an MP game, but nevertheless we've made it work. So, while it's a SP game, we've gotten some good socializing going on in our family, and I'd argue that all of us posting on the forum are socializing quite a bit. When my family wants to all play the same game at the same time, we pull out the board games and play Life or Mousetrap or Monopoly or something like that. Kotor's just a nice alternative and a very fun SP RPG, and I'd like them to keep as much of the framework as possible for K3.

Archived