Home

A strange idea perhaps, but it's an interesting one too...

Clone L68362

Well, before I owned KOTOR, in fact I didn't even know it was an RPG, the reason I thought it was so successful was because of it's multiplayer. Imagine how surprised I was when I found out it only had single player. I have no complaints about this, but I recently wondered what a KOTOR multiplayer mode would be like. Maybe you can have fights with your characters from the game? Like certain rooms only take a certain level character. Maybe one mode has you and another player working together to complete a mission? What do you think?

Maybe one mode has you and another player working together to complete a mission? What do you think?
They kinda hinted at gameplay like this (ala single-player rather than multi-player) in the tutorial (the part where you have to change control of the characters to gain access to the closed off section of the Ebon Hawk). While I don't necessarily care for multi-player games, I would like to see more mileage from the character control options in future iterations of KotOR.

No multiplayer for me. For once we have a good single player game. I prefer to see them develop the history, the characters and the worlds instead of adding multiplayer. I definitely don't want two "half-games"... and the dialogue part would suck.

What she said.

This suggestion sort of falls under the same category as FPS-action elements added in that I don't want to see it done to KOTOR.

No multiplayer for me. For once we have a good single player game. I prefer to see them develop the history, the characters and the worlds instead of adding multiplayer. I definitely don't want two "half-games"... and the dialogue part would suck.

What she said.

This suggestion sort of falls under the same category as FPS-action elements added in that I don't want to see it done to KOTOR.

What they said! :D

sigh.... everybody's killing creativity today...

Anyways, I say a no to Multiplayer, atleast to the co-op mode or such modes they put to make good RPGs look ugly. A dueling room would be fine, though I don't think it'll be particularly enjoyable considering the current battle system and engine being customized for Singleplayer.

So... the final bet is Pazaak and Swoop Racing lobbies! We can have those lobbies you see in the games and take them online, so you make your score live. That'll be interesting and the only piece of worthy multiplayer from KotOR.

Well, before I owned KOTOR, in fact I didn't even know it was an RPG, the reason I thought it was so successful was because of it's multiplayer. Imagine how surprised I was when I found out it only had single player. I have no complaints about this, but I recently wondered what a KOTOR multiplayer mode would be like. Maybe you can have fights with your characters from the game? Like certain rooms only take a certain level character. Maybe one mode has you and another player working together to complete a mission? What do you think?

To do that you will need to throw away the entire effort Bioware and Obsidian put into KOTOR, because the story is too complex and the game isn't made for multiplayer. And, truthfully, I am sick of multiplayer games. Multiplayers get to play with smart enemies, while singleplayers get badly made and moronic A.I.'s.

Will you people, please, knock it off with the 'This element is bad because it is a FPS element' attitude? Not everything belongs in the category FPS, this also falls into RTS, Sports, Turn-based Strategy and so on. And, also, FPS's aren't that bad you know.

I am not trying to be rude and so, but seriously, blaming FPS's for bad sugestions isn't exatcly guardian work.

We're not saying FPS are bad games, Vlad (but several FPS are bad games, just as you have bad RPGs). What's bad would be to introduce FPS elements in Kotor. We're saying that Kotor is a single player rpg based on the d20 system and that we want to keep it that way.

Accept that there will always be different opinions. There's no need to get upset about that as no one forces you to adhere to their opinions. Even if they provide arguments to try to convince you, you are still free to think whatever you want.

The purpose of the forums is to give opinions and discuss about what we would like to see or not to see in the game. If people want so say that they don't want FPS elements , I won't stop them (unless they start duplicating threads, start spamming, yada yada yada... ) just as I won't stop you from saying that you'd like FPS elements.

So please stop it with the "Will you people, please, knock it off" type of comment.

Now back on topic as I don't want this thread to derail.

like Dath 333 said, I don't want Tow half-games. They should design avery good SP game. Let JK, RC and SWG do the MP stuff;)

The idea sounds interesting. A Co-op KotOR. Yeah but i think that that will be very difficlut to design. I mean you have several moments in the game where you can only use your PC. would this then be designed for two instead only for one? If not what does the other player do in that time. Probably he'll watch the other player and drinks a cup of coffee. maybe he eats a pizza, too:D I just think that MP is too complicated for KotOR

Well...

Did anyone of you play Guildard or WoW?

It also uses and semi-turn based role play system. Rememberm, the rules of Kotor can also function in Multiplayer.

You cant lightning someone from kilometers away, and consulars have all kinds of neat litle tricks to protect them from incoming Guadrians.

I think it could work, mainly because it's already proven it can.

We're not saying FPS are bad games, Vlad (but several FPS are bad games, just as you have bad RPGs). What's bad would be to introduce FPS elements in Kotor. We're saying that Kotor is a single player rpg based on the d20 system and that we want to keep it that way.

Accept that there will always be different opinions. There's no need to get upset about that as no one forces you to adhere to their opinions. Even if they provide arguments to try to convince you, you are still free to think whatever you want.

The purpose of the forums is to give opinions and discuss about what we would like to see or not to see in the game. If people want so say that they don't want FPS elements , I won't stop them (unless they start duplicating threads, start spamming, yada yada yada... ) just as I won't stop you from saying that you'd like FPS elements.

So please stop it with the "Will you people, please, knock it off" type of comment.

Now back on topic as I don't want this thread to derail.

I am sorry if I was a bit rude. I didn't mean that it looks that way. I wanted to merely point out that all the elements from different genres, that were sugested to be implanted into KOTOR, aren't only FPSs but are some from other genres as well. Look at my sugestion in the 'What do you want to see in KOTOR?" It's like I wanted to make the one and only giant, massive, unstable, tasty pizza. Meaning I sugested implanting strategy. And is that an FPS element?

I am just trying to say that sugested FPS elements aren't the only thing that could destroy KOTOR. And I am also trying to defend FPS from being everyones mocking object.

I guess I went a bit over the edge. Sorry about that.

I just think that MP is too complicated for KotOR

I think that this sentence says everything needed to say about this subject.

Well...

Did anyone of you play Guildard or WoW?

It also uses and semi-turn based role play system. Rememberm, the rules of Kotor can also function in Multiplayer.

You cant lightning someone from kilometers away, and consulars have all kinds of neat litle tricks to protect them from incoming Guadrians.

I think it could work, mainly because it's already proven it can.

That's a completely different game. If they were going to turn Kotor in a MMORPG, they they would loose me as well as many others. I would never buy the game. For once we have a good single player game why does everything has to turn in multiplayer...let's improve the single player experience instead.

Well perhaps you can have duels between the main character of Kotor to see who has built there character better. This would be online only though.

The problem with this is it's not as easy as just saying "well just add this feature for those who want to duel their characters online". I'm no developer, but I'd be willing to bet that would be a pain to code considering the rest of the game is geared towards single player.

In other words, it's not just as easy as typing a couple of lines of extra code to let players do the online duel thing. If they added it, it would come at the expense (both in development time and in quality) of features that are more important to a single player game.

@ D333:

I wasn't talking about if it's mmorpg or not. I was talking about the semi-turn based controls that are Kotor-like, that do work online.

In WoW, you walk with wasd, en target with the mouse. Clicking once will attack your target. You can click skills on the skill-barr below. The only thing that's missing is the option to pause. (That can't be implented anyway ;) )

And if you'd like to now: SW already has it's major mmorpg **** up: Galaxies.

KotOR is based on dialogues and story, even if you spend more time in combat, the base, its foundations are these non-MP elements.

MMORPGs relie on exploration and the making of a universe where you can do pretty much what you like.

MMORPGs are a lot of fun, but they're not what KotOR is all about.

That's why it can't really work online. It's not adapted for it, it's not meant for it and it shouldn't be for MP.

PS: Actually, adding MP to a game could technically be considered an FPS element, as every FPS these days has to have an MP mode, however basic or half-done it is.

Archived