Home

Ion Cannon and Hypervelocity Weapons

Athanasios

I don't know if you built an Ion Cannon and seen it in action, but it's really really handy; due to it, i defended successfully a rebel station (tech 3) with few MKII frigates and some Y-wings. The Cannon loaded fast enough so that to keep the 2 star destroyers and some victory cruisers disabled while my ships were inflicting damage on them.

On the other hand, hypervelocity weapons are way more dreaded. I attacked an imperial station, tech 1 or 2, with 2 Mon Cals, some frigates and few bombers, fleet enough to counter an Tech 4 station. I thought it would be a "routine" mission, until i saw my 2 Mon Cals getting destroyed one after the other, even without reaching the enemy station. It took like 3 shots of the hyp. gun to wipe each Mon Cal; the outcome of this "routine" mission is obvious...

Yet, both those superweapons cannot hit small ships; in the fore-mentioned routine mission, i was left with 2 assault frigates. I tried a simple "tactic", according to which i did not assigned them simply to "attack", but i manually moved them around the map, avoiding enemy fires; the concusion missiles did they job quite good since, with this tactic, i took out 2 SDs, 1 victory and one Interdictor. I could have taken out the space station as well, if i had time to waste destroying the fighters guarding it (then take out the hangar and finally the station). So, space battle look to me more complicated than the currect tactic seen in most RTS "get a huge bunch of forces and go ahead".

So, i think superweapons will not spoil the game, but will add much tactic on it. It would be nice if you could, someway, know if the defender had a superweapon on its planet and then act accordingly, but spying is not part of the game...

Btw, one option is retreating, very very valuable in these circumstances. It's the first thing i thought when seeing my first Mon Cal getting anihilated; unfortunately, retreating is disabled in the demo, and of course, i had to take out that interdictor first :).

Just some thoughts on the game...

Both of the cannons will come in handy that's for sure! But we have to remember that the charge times will be longer in the real game, so they wont be able to fire continually in 15 second (or so) intervals. The Demo Mods have made the charge times smaller so you can have fun with the game.

Well of course strategy will be involoved in selecting a target. If the enemy has an imperial star destroyer and an acclaimator you should be smart and hit the ISD. As of now, I dont think anyone knows the real recharge times.

Or if you're in real big trouble and your hands are trembling, you might hit the small frigate! :)

I think it should take about the same time as the "boost maximun power to shields!" special ability takes, which is about 40+ seconds. Not bad. As i said, those hyp guns took my Mon Cals within a minute :smash:

No need to swear. Although i thought both guns fired quite quickly. Not to mention that the Ion Cannon disables an SD for more than a minute (roughly guess).

Maybe they changed it in the final version, because Ion Cannon does no harm, but that hyp gun can anihilate your costly Mon Cals within seconds! And you can't resist them.......unless you retrear and try to raid the planet, but if it has hyp gun, it's kind of obvious that it will be heavily defended for a raid fleet to take control of it.

I have run into these weapons when attacking, and they have caused me a lot of trouble. The ion cannon will disable any SD within about 30 seconds of arriving at the battle. Also, something was taking out reinforcements AS they warped into the battle. I assume this was the hypervelocity gun.

Does anybody know of a defence against these weapons? Perhaps an Interdicter cruiser would help? Seems a shame to use my glorious ISDs as cannon fodder.

For rebels at least, you can always try to sneak a small force into the planet and blow it up before you launch the attack in space. Just grab Han Solo and the wookie, steal the most expensive vehicle around while you keep the rest stunned and blow up the damned thing. Even if you lose the hero you'll get rid of that annoying defense.Or at least this should work in the full game.

Well of course strategy will be involoved in selecting a target. If the enemy has an imperial star destroyer and an acclaimator you should be smart and hit the ISD. As of now, I dont think anyone knows the real recharge times.

or if you're in a semi large firefight and need to outgun the enemy quickly or you'll be annialated and one shot won't toast the ISD, then fire it into the acclamator, take it out and the enemy loses a set of big guns to use against you while you still have your full complement which gives you a tad bit more of a edge to roll the tide.

It may not always be the best tactic to take out the biggest bruiser first. Take out all his friends and then he's a piece of cake. :)

btw, Got pesky planetary defense cannons? This sounds like a job for...THE DEATH STAR! :deathii: I told ya the thing would be useful. Don't want to lose your fleet to the massive cannons? Blow the friggin planet up. :)

Sure you lose the game if it gets toasted...but that's why you frequently save ;)

I generally find it worthwile to take out all the hangers first, using bombers. The Empire has a real edge using this tactic as they get free bombers with each carrier ship. Also the supply donk on space station can be a good first target as that thing actually brings in free capital ships (well small ones, but they're free). After that it's sometimes after the shield generator for me (if the shields are still up) or straight onto the deadly weapons first, and the engines after that and finally the not deadly weapons.

And we don't know what the DeathStar will be in the final version, if you lose the entire game after it's blown up, I hardly consider it worth it. BTW I also don't want to win like this when paying the Rebels. However if you can only build it once (should be twice) it's a different case.

Also, since i don't want to open another thread for this, did you notice that AA turrets can hit ground ones and actually, they do pretty much damage??

My little brother just showed this to me and im wondering if i would pay to build AA turrets rather than anti-vehicle/infantry ones, since AA turrets seem to be "all-purpose" defenses :)

I think it sounds more worthwhile just to build aa turrets then, this same in true in C&C whic makes sense bc of ptro westwood

So, what's the point of the other two turrets (apart from the fact that they auto-fire; for an AA you have to command it to fire on ground units)?

Archived