Psychonauts glitches, easter eggs, etc! [spoilers]

Thrik

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

289182515.jpg

I noticed this glitch this weekend.

I had played the game up to the part just before Raz helps Milla and Sasha free Lilli. I had a bunch of brains on me that I had collected and had Ford bring me back to the mainland/Camp using the Bacon.

I wanted to do some exploring and was at the lake when I saw one of the Camp kids (see girl in above screen cap) standing on the dock. The weird thing is that when I went onto that dock and approached her she faded out completely. I could move away and she would reappear but everytime I got really close to her (close enough to talk with her) she disappeared completely.

I figured out that I could see her because I had her brain on me at the lake but she would disappear because she hadn't been re-brained yet by Ford.

So I went down to Ford's Sanctuary, turned in all the brains I had, and went back to the lake to find the girl kissing the kid wearing the sailor hat. Of course, she no longer faded out since she had been re-brained.

I feel like Charlie finding the Golden Ticket to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!!

I found the Ultimate Reference to previous Double Fine games:

289182516.jpg

In the TV room in the Lodge are two potted plants. On each of the pots is the word "Chuck"! It's a reference to LeChuck from the Monkey Island games.

Woo-Hoo!!

It's hard to see unless you have Levitation and use the light from your Levitation Ball (I set mine to the color white for just this purpose throughout the game) to illuminate the pots. I also used Photoshop to boost up the brightness of the image to better show the word on the pot.

There are more potted plants in the Camp and all have the word "Chuck" written on them.

edited to add: And looking at this screen cap, I just noticed the wallpaper. Isn't that similar to the background in the Double Fine logo/credit when Psychonauts starts?

The potted plants leads to a trivia question...see the "Psychonauts Quiz" discussion in this forum.

• 2 months later...

I think I found another glitch in the game (or a loophole in the "rules").

I had just finished the Book Depository/Repository in the Milkman Conspiracy and was leaving the area. I had the gun in my hand and left the sniper area and immediately jumped down the manhole to transport back to the previous neighborhood.

I wasn't holding the plunger, I was holding the gun. The sirens should have gone off and I should have been interrogated but that didn't happen. Instead, I just popped out the other end.

Maybe the spies have to be present when when you enter a secure area without the proper prop in order for the interrogation scenario to happen.

Awesome Toliver. :)

All your work is definitely appreciated. Once I eventually get around to converting Razputin's Domain into more of a museum of Psychonauts info and whatnot (it's still basically in its news-focused state from 2005) I'll be sure to include all these glitches and easter eggs you've found.

I can confirm the floating fuse in Sasha's Shooting Gallery. Saw it today on the PS2.

A glitch I had was Raz getting stuck on the path to the elevator up to Dr. Loboto's ladder. On the right side about halfway down. He sank ankle deep into the floor and moved like his ankles were caught. Had to use the bacon to get out.

An easter egg: when Agent Cruller's asking Raz if he's ready to be his agent, and slapping him when he says no, Cruller's looking up at the conversation choice balloon to see the answer as you make it.

"I like applesauce" - That's the best easter egg of them all.

An "I like applesauce" easter egg?

Google doesn't know about this. I've been through the game ten times and haven't spotted it. Anyone remember what/where it is? Or is it not on the PS2?

....i think she was kidding.

Maybe, but SMON originally listed it as part of,

I think it's an easter egg, other notable eggs:

@The infamous "Stump Joke"

@2HB in the clouds

@The hidden picture in lungfishopolis

@Jumping in Napoleon's castle before moving pieces makes Napoleon angry at you.

@Not really an egg, just a coincidence, the way Lil Oly drifts away at the end of the game is very similar to how Kairi drifts away at the end of Kingdom Hearts

@I like applesauce

The first two and the fourth one I've seen myself. The Lungfish picture is listed in other places on the 'Net. Not being familar with Kingdom Hearts I can't comment.

Poster "Odd" also seems to confirm it, claiming to know "most of that stuff" and questioning only the picture in Lungfishopolis.

A glitch I had was Raz getting stuck on the path to the elevator up to Dr. Loboto's ladder. On the right side about halfway down. He sank ankle deep into the floor and moved like his ankles were caught. Had to use the bacon to get out.

I'm having that glitch again right now. Raz is on the path down to the elevator up to Dr. Loboto's ladder. Just got Nils' brain and had the cutscene with Sheegor, "Go back right now or you'll be very, very sorry!"

Raz is just barely to the right of the middle of the stairs and twitching semi-transparently doing the walking animation without any control input.

He's one step down from the third pair of support pipes for the overhead ironwork on the stairs.

Any walking, etc. is done in place. Jumping animation is done in place. No double-jumping since he never gets off of the ground.

Use the bacon to get free.

Just found a similar trap on that same path down to the elevator up to Dr. Loboto's Lab. By the second support pipe on the right as Raz is coming down. Raz will stand normally, but can't be moved from the spot. Quick double jump shows the thought balloon below the floor. Raz feet can't be seen.

Back to the bacon to get Cruller to extract Raz.

Not sure if this is a glitch or if it's supposed to happen...

In the Waterloo level, you make Raz bounce on the trampolines to achieve different goals.

I've been replaying the game and twice now I've had Raz bouncing on a trampoline when all of a sudden he would bounce about twice as high as he normally does. It was high enough that he went up off the top of the screen and the camera didn't even follow him.

I have no clue as to what triggered this "super" bounce. The second time it happened I was able to use Psi Float off the Carpenter's roof to easily get all of the figments hanging in the air (which normally take a couple of attempts to get all of them).

Has anyone else experienced this "super" trampoline bounce? And, if so, do you know how to trigger it on purpose?

If Raz is under a trampoline and jumps up he'll magically move through it. If he jumps while moving through he gets the super bounce.

This explains why Raz can't get underneath the trampoline next to the cabin in the Kids' Cabins area. Also why some of the trampolines in Waterloo World have wooden grids underneath preventing him from getting under them.

There's a glitch on the PS2 if Raz gets the Golden Confusion Grenades from Waterloo World and Gloria's Theater in addition to the one in Black Velvetopia.

Restarting the system and loading the save file Raz will be back to 5 Confusion Grenades capacity. PSI blast capacity will drop back to the starting 30, indicating the Golden Balls of Hate upgrades have also been lost. I didn't think to check if the Golden Helmet Upgrades vanished as well.

Immediately reloading the save file helped once. It may be a permanent fix. A player grabbing everything will have infinite ammo soon at Rank 95 in any case, but it's annoying for fighting Junior King Kong Cobra.

Alternating Confusion Grenades and Pyrokinesis will keep the Cobra stunned while doing burning damage. The damage keeps happening while throwing the next grenade. With 8 Confusion Grenades almost half of his health can be burned away in a single session.

From http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6610

"Dopefish

Games: Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Battlezone, Daikatana, Anachronox, Max Payne, Hyperspace Delivery Boy!, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Red Faction (N-Gage version), SuperTux, Congo Cube, Eternal Daughter, Psychonauts, SiN, SiN Episodes: Emergence, Fortress Forever, Sven Co-op, Wacky Wheels (Various)

Surely the easter egg with the most individual appearances in games, Dopefish is a simple-minded, goofy cartoon fish that has become a long-running in-joke in the PC development scene. The character was created by id Software's Tom Hall, while sketching possible character designs for the 1991 PC title Commander Keen IV. "I just drew this stupid little fish," reflects Hall, whose buck-toothed creation has been hidden in an impressive range of games since the early-'90s, including Daikatana, Anachronox, Max Payne, and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. A zombified Dopefish appears in Quake III Arena, and there's even an official website."

http://www.dopefish.com/

Apparently they're counting the suckerfish as a dopefish. Suckerfish are slim. Dopefish are fat. Are suckerfish bucktoothed like the dopefish?

In the Milkman Conspiracy, from the telephone pole outside the Rainbow Squirts' house. Look out over the next telephone pole and there's a stationary black dot. In first person view it's in the middle of the screen when the top of the next telephone pole is at the bottom of the

screen.

It's there before and after Raz defeats the Den Mother, so it's not a helicopter. It can be seen from atop the telephone pole outside the Book Repository, but only if you're looking right at it. It doesn't get much larger if Raz jumps the telephone lines and floats toward it.

There's another, fainter, one to the right and up just a little. After defeating the Den Mother one appears directly overhead as well. None below where they could be floated to.

• 3 months later...
I feel like Charlie finding the Golden Ticket to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!!

I found the Ultimate Reference to previous Double Fine games:

289182516.jpg

In the TV room in the Lodge are two potted plants. On each of the pots is the word "Chuck"! It's a reference to LeChuck from the Monkey Island games.

Woo-Hoo!!

It's hard to see unless you have Levitation and use the light from your Levitation Ball (I set mine to the color white for just this purpose throughout the game) to illuminate the pots. I also used Photoshop to boost up the brightness of the image to better show the word on the pot.

There are more potted plants in the Camp and all have the word "Chuck" written on them.

edited to add: And looking at this screen cap, I just noticed the wallpaper. Isn't that similar to the background in the Double Fine logo/credit when Psychonauts starts?

The potted plants leads to a trivia question...see the "Psychonauts Quiz" discussion in this forum.

I first saw Chuck The Plant in the first maniac mansion game. ^_^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_the_Plant

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where the kids are after re-braining them? I came across a few:

Dogen: apologising to the squirrels for blowing them up (Cabins Area)

J.T and Chops: protecting the homestead and ridin' gun (Cabins area)

Kitty and Franke: Doing girly stuff in the girls cabin (Cabins area)

Quentin and Phobe: Drum practice ( Main lodge)

Clem and Crystal: Annoying the janitor (Not sure got the info from this forum but haven't tried yet) (Reception Area)

I can't find the others and I am a bit lazy.I personally don't enjoy exploring the camp at night. I hate the cougars, though they're easy to defeat with the spiked levitation ball.

Not sure but I think one of the faces in the sky at the asylum is of Fred Bonaparte.

• 1 month later...

Bobby and someone else are at Coach's.

Clem and Elka are at the Lodge.

Maloof and Mikhail are at the Parking Lot fiddling with Oleander's car. I'd like to think they're doing something very very Grand Theft Auto-esque.

Vernon's at the lodge, writing his memoirs.

Milka and Elton are at the docks, making out.

Archived