Home

Psychonauts glitches, easter eggs, etc! [spoilers]

Thrik

What is this thread?

A place for Psychonauts fans to post easter eggs, references to other games/films/etc, glitches and secrets in one definitive place. Posts which have sufficient instructions on how to do said thing will be added to the list below. Once the thread has gone completely stale and nothing else is likely to be submitted, they will be verified, rewritten in a more formal manner and placed onto the main website along with screenshots and whatnot.

Easter Eggs / References / Hard-to-find Stuff / Easy-to-miss Stuff

1. Former main character of Psychonauts seen during ending cutscene

2. Imagery hidden within the loading screen

3. The stump joke of Monkey Island returns

4. Jump inside Napoleon's castle before getting there within the game rules to annoy him

5. Look around the campfire to find a possible ancestor of Dogen, complete with surname

6. Picture of a young Ford Cruller around the campfire

7. Various references to Double Fine are to be found in the figments

8. Lungfishopolis blimp a possible reference to Grim Fandango

9. Double Fine's logo (two-headed baby) found in campground lounge

10. Get rank 100 and enjoy a special, short video

11. Wait around on the main menu and get a special slide

12. Take Mr Pokeylope to campground denizens for amusing responses (unconfirmed)

13. Play with the controls during game loading to move Razputin

Interesting Glitches and Oversights

1. Get inside Doctor Loboto's forcefield

2. Unused credit slide flying around collective unconcious

3. Tickle the band members

4. Turn night back into day

5. Exit from tunnel in Basic Braining remains visible in sky

6. Go onto radio tower island a second time

7. Amass your very own army of Censors

8. Pay attention during lake cutscene and see bear

How can I help?

This idea will obviously fall flat onto its face if nobody contributes. So, if you know of anything that might be an easter egg, reference or anything like that, please post! The idea is to make this the most thorough guide around, so by all means correct people or add to what they've said if you can!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the ending cutscene, you can see D'Artagan peeking out of the outhouse at one point. This was originally going to be the main character in Psychonauts, but ended up evolving into Raz. Information from developers and such would imply that "Dart" was a fully animated and working character before the decision was made to rework him, which is most probably why he was implemented in the ending cutscene as a nod. You can see concept art for him here, here, here and here. This is a low-quality screengrab from the ending cut-scene:

earlyraz.jpg

I don't remember who got this screengrab, but thanks regardless. ;

As said in my thread in the Bacon Uplink, it is possible to get into the barrier in Loboto's lab. All that needs to be done is levitating into the pillar part of the barrier and floating down, making sure not to hit the actual dome part. Fun with Loboto ensued, such as blocking his path, riding the brain, etc. I had to take pics.

(Btw, thanks for making this thread! It's an awesome idea.)

I know this is probably going to sound dumb, but...

Easter eggs? XD;

Edit: Oh wait! I have found something I can mention! In the Collective Unconcious, floating somewhere behind Oleander's Basic Braining is a slide that looks like one of the credits from the opening, but it reads "YOUR NAME HERE". You can levitate/float to it and look in first person view at it. It's blue. I'd show pictures, but my game is on PS2

Nice. Don't fret about not posting screenshots, if necessary I'll take them myself once I move your submissions to the website. It would be nice if you did, but by no means necessary. ;)

As for an easter egg, check out the following page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_eggs_%28computing%29

I'll probably tidy up my first post once we have some more submissions to make it a bit more concise/clear. ;)

Is Milla's noightmare room something worth mentioning? Not exactly an easter egg, more like a slightly hidden location.

I think it's an easter egg, other notable eggs:

@The infamous "Stump Joke"

@2HB in the clouds

@The hidden picture in lungfishopolis

@Jumping in Napoleon's castle before moving pieces makes Napoleon angry at you.

@Not really an egg, just a coincidence, the way Lil Oly drifts away at the end of the game is very similar to how Kairi drifts away at the end of Kingdom Hearts

@I like applesauce

Nice. Don't fret about not posting screenshots, if necessary I'll take them myself once I move your submissions to the website. It would be nice if you did, but by no means necessary.

As for an easter egg, check out the following page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...%28computing%29

I'll probably tidy up my first post once we have some more submissions to make it a bit more concise/clear.

Ahh.. ok thanks! ^^

I think it's an easter egg, other notable eggs:

@The infamous "Stump Joke"

@2HB in the clouds

@Jumping in Napoleon's castle before moving pieces makes Napoleon angry at you.

@Not really an egg, just a coincidence, the way Lil Oly drifts away at the end of the game is very similar to how Kairi drifts away at the end of Kingdom Hearts

@I like applesauce

K, I knew most of that stuff, but...

Ehhh?!? o_o;

I already said this before, but why not! You can add it if you want XD

In the Collective Unconcious, floating somewhere behind Oleander's Basic Braining is a slide that looks like one of the credits from the opening, but it reads "YOUR NAME HERE". You can levitate/float to it and look in first person view at it. It's black with yellow text. I'd show pictures, but my game is on PS2

(I made a mistake the first time I posted it, it isn't blue it's black)

I looked for that tag behind Basic Braining, but I never saw it. ((Oh, there it is! I was looking on the actual door..)) And I never found that picture in Lungfishopolis either, but I wasn't exactly sure where to look. I knew how to find it, just not on which skyscraper. Where is it again?

I would also like to know where the hidden picture is XD;

Also, this isn't something really important, but when I went to check out the pictures of Psychonauts near the campfire theres one that the name has been broken off but it looks very fermilliar... *cough Young Ford cough*

I'm sure everyone's probably noticed that, but I figured I could at least point it out. XD;

This is what? The third glitch thread?

I forgot their names but in the main cabin at Whispering Rock go up to the band, talk to them, take out the feather, and tickle them. Then they'll be stuck looking into eachother's eyes (or at you) for some considerable time.

I'd love to know what part of the game these pictures are from.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/psychonauts_053003_15.jpg

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/psychonauts_053003_10.jpg

http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/1601/feature/2003-06-24/screen1_large.jpg

http://www.tgmonline.it/news/agosto2004/20040804224209/img13.jpg

and I hope they load alright

now I thought that the game was the same olny just on a diffrent player.

Yeah, quite a lot of stuff changed between the development pics and the final product; go through them carefully and you'll find no end of small changes.

As for that 4th picture, I'm not really sure what exactly it's from. Schafer calls the image "SoundProof" and captions it "Man, why did we cut this awesome room?".

I had a glitch once, but I have no idea how it happened. I was talking to Lili or tickling her with the feather or something, and Raz started saying, "Wanna measure my wrist? Just in case." repeatedly. I had to go inside the Main Lodge to shut him up. And once the voices in the game went out and I had to restart the game to bring them back, and once I got stuck, upside-down, I think, in Gloria's Theatre..but that was all the real glitches I remember.

Um, in Baisic Braining, right wehen you get to the series of walls with flamethrowers on them, before the place where you punch the wall to get to the series of verticle ropes, you drop out of a tunnel, when you land, look behind you in the sky.

You will see a ring, I'm not sure if ti's the exit to the tunnel, or something else, but it's still there.

I also remember someone mentioning a trick to land in the room where you fight the denmother by dropping under the house and levitatite parachuting.

I had a glitch once, but I have no idea how it happened. I was talking to Lily or tickling her with the feather or something, and Raz started saying, "Wanna measure my wrist? Just in case." repeatedly. I had to go inside the Main Lodge to shut him up. And once the voices in the game went out and I had to restart the game to bring them back, and once I got stuck, upside-down, I think, in Gloria's Theatre..but that was all the real glitches I remember.

Yeah, I've done that.

Anyway, den mother breakin you say? I'm going to start working out some hidden world finding. Or something.

Archived