Home

GBA-SW GAMES?

Darth_Malak02

As I mention in an article here:

The Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon Principle - Remember that the very best Star Wars GameBoy Advance games are mediocre, and most are pretty lousy, so do *not* 'day of release' purchase anything Star Wars for a handheld system ... wait for reviews.

The Star Wars Trilogy Apprentice of the Force confirmation of The Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon Principle – I spent nearly $150 on September 21st 2004 – I got the Star Wars Trilogy DVD's, BattleFront for the PC and Apprentice of the Force for the GameBoy Advance. I love the DVD's, consider a Battlefront a painful reminder that I like single-player, story based FPS games, and consider Apprentice of the Force as a reminder that Star Wars handheld games are mediocre at best. This one isn't terrible like Flight of the Falcon, but I've not touched it since finishing – and it hasn't ever held my kids' interest.

The Star Wars Episode III exception to The Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon Principle – I knew someday they would make a Star Wars handheld game worth playing. I got this one on the day of release, and it has been one of the games I've played the most over the last several months. The mix of side-scrolling GBA-style action and GameCube-style space battles is very satisfying.

Now the Episode III game is a DS one, but the GBA has some pretty good stuff as well.

LEGO Star Wars is 'OK' - nowhere near as good as the under-rated PC version though.

Mike

from what my cousin said, the ds and the gba games are exactly the same, minus the 3d space battles :)

True - but the space battles, and the GameCube-like multiplayer action, are truly very well done - certainly better than vehicles on the PSP version of Battlefront II!

Mike

From gamerankings:

(Name, Overall Score, Main Sites Score)

1. Lego Star Wars----------------------------76.3% 76.3%

2. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith--70.4% 69.6%

3. Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force--65.5% 66.2%

4. Star Wars Episode II: The New Droid Army---57.8% 58.1%

5. Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles---------------58.8% 56.6%

6. Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon--------------38.7% 41.0%

7. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones---37.8% 38.2%

So its not looking that promising... just play advance wars instead :D

Get it on the PC as said. It's a great game. I've played it by myself and coop on my XBOX. There are so many better GBA games out there as mentioned as well. What interests you? Tell us what kind of game you want (besides it being SW) and maybe we can suggest something.

Maybe LucasArts can get Nintendo to make a Star Wars themed Advance Wars game XD lol.

That would be cool...and they could keep the anime feel.. making it like my sig pic ;)

Maybe they'll do a GBA version of Empire at war.

(OT: hey, Firefox just crashed (a rare event in itself) and when i restarted I got this post back in the state i had got to typing it.. never expected that. Yay for not retyping posts!)

Do you remember those old JK on DS mockups that were floating around a few months back? now that would rock. Be nice to have a new story though.

And cone to think of it, the DS's controls would be great for a Tie Fighter style 3d space combat game... :D

I just went to EB Games today and bought a game i've never heard of before. It's a little annoying at times but i think that it is ok (as far a SW games for GBA go) Star Wars: The New Droid Army. Anyone heard of it?

OK is pretty much how I'd sum it up - if I had to review it now I'd give it 3/5. I had some fun with it, but there were loads of annoyances and not much depth - but occasionally things just click, and there are some good Star Wars moments.

Mike

Jedi Power Battles came out on the DS/GBA? Yikes! If it's anywhere near as bad as the DC or PSX versions though it's definately not worth it... that game was a mess of frustration... annoying puzzles, poor Star Wars "realism," stupid cameras and wasted opportunities. Plus the gameplay is repetative, and not in a good, fighting game way (like it ought to be).

The problem with most GBA Star Wars game is that all they are are really short and simple adventures meant for a younger audience. There's no real depth to it, it's just for those kids who bug their parents to buy it.

I'm wondering how many SW GBA games you've played, as comparing the games I *have* played (which is all but Episode II) to much of the 'younger targeted' stuff my kids have (like SpongeBob, etc) I see a large difference. Sure, we're not talking Fire Emblem or Golden Sun here, but some of this stuff is reasonable action gaming.

Mike

Archived