Home

The Pink Panther

Zappa_0

So who all have seen the movie yet? I went last night and its full of laughs. I thought it was a pretty good movie over all. Steve Martin was really good as Inspector Clouseau, I hope he makes a few more Pink Panther movies. So what do you all think?

I thought it was AWESOME.

Went with a couple of friends last night, and it really was hilarious. I've always been a big slapstick fan, when done properly, and this movie was spot on.

Plenty of laughs from physical humor, and more hilarious accent jokes than you can shake a stick at.

I would recommend everyone see this movie if you were a fan of the originals.

the pink panther series has been a favorite of mine for many years, so i was kind of wary about it, even tho i normally love steve martin stuff. perhpas i'll see it this weekend. as long as you guys promise it isnt sacriladge :D

Same here. Every time someone has asked "you hear they're making a new Pink Panther movie?" it's got a cuss word reply of some form out of me. It's sounding like it might actually be decent though. Might have to see it.

I think I'll skip on this one. Remakes usually suck. Plus, to me anyways, this one looks like it sucks even by remake standards. I'll just wait for it to come to video. If I'm going to see a remake I'll go see The Producers again. The Producers was pretty good.

I got the same impression, but many people say they like it. Maybe the previews are misleading, and make it appear lame.

The concensus seems to be 'not the train wreck you expected'.

Here's a sampling:

C "You can see that Martin knows what he's doing. He's still got plenty of comic game. Now all he needs is a more consistently funny comedy in which he can really let loose."

-- Robert Denerstein, DENVER ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS

1.5/4 "At every moment in the movie, I was aware that Peter Sellers was Clouseau, and Steve Martin was not. I hadn't realized how thoroughly Sellers and Edwards had colonized my memory."

-- Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

C+ "The prospect of reviving Peter Sellers' Pink Panther character, Inspector Jacques Clouseau, may not tickle anyone pink, but Steve Martin's version isn't nearly as bad as you'd think."

-- Eleanor Ringel Gillespie, ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION

I've never liked Steve Martin for some reason. I don't remember laughing once during any of his movies (not that I've seen that many).

As for the Pink Panther movies, well, sorry, but you can't remake classics like that. Like one of those quotes in Mike's post says - 'Peter Sellers was Clouseau'. But to my mind, Herbert Lom was also perfect in his role in the Pink Panther movies.

Hell, I'm grinning even as I think about some of those scenes.

I think I'll pass on this 'update', because I don't want to sully the memory of some of Sellers' best work.

I've never liked Steve Martin for some reason. I don't remember laughing once during any of his movies (not that I've seen that many).
I've always loved Martin - but my Dad brought home his comedy records in the mid-70's, and I stayed up late watching SNL in 75-76, so I had an early connection. And I always loved The Jerk and Roxanne. But he has produced a significant quantity of crap, and having his name on a project means *nothing* to me.

I think I'll pass on this 'update', because I don't want to sully the memory of some of Sellers' best work.

I completely agree. The good news for me is that - unlike 'Charlie & the Chocolate Factory' my kids have no interest in seeing this one. I guess the other upside is that (like Charlie) this will soon be forgotten and everyone will remember the 'real' version. Like Planet of the Apes as well.

Mike

He's definately got guts to attempt it after the grief he got about his Bilko remake. I don't think i'll be watching it though.

I've always liked LA story... don't ask me why. Because it was weird i guess... and when you watch his (and eddie murphy's ) early standup work and early movies... then look at the crap they've been in recently... you start to wonder what they did to deserve that fate.

Archived