Home

KOTOR Comic series discussion thread

Prime

Hmm no im somehow betting there is more to the vision of the red-suited sith-lord than the one forced upon them. I don't think they saw this one as in the visions his saber was red. It's a long shot but thats my view. Hopefully the story will take them offworld abit now, id love to see Tatooine, Nar Shaddaa and Onderon/Dxun, although as the first issue of the next series comes out it appears i will get my wish as it shows the mandalorians in a jungle. Woo.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I am bumping this thread...

Well, the six part series is complete, and I have to say that it was very entertaining and went in directions that I did not expect. There are still lots of questions that remain regarding what Zayne will be doing in the upcoming issues, either for good or evil. Also, I loved the way that the masters that were chasing him did the things they did because of their ideals, whether we would agree with them or not. Definitely lots of feed for thought.

And who was the cloaked figure in that last issue? Kriea perhaps?

I didn't quite buy Zayne's change of character. After 6 installments with him as a consumate good guy, this was sort of a left turn out of nowhere. Unless he's learned how to bluff well.

The masters--my big question--why kill the padawans then? Why not just take them all to Coruscant and discuss the whole thing with the Council there, find out which one it really was, and deal with that one? All I kept thinking was that there _had_ to be a better way to handle it than making 5 or 6 innocents suffer to get at the one they were after, not to mention it was a terrible waste of a very precious resource. It's not like Jedi grow on trees.

I loved the red suit thing, too. :)

I haven't purchased a comic book for a couple of years or so and I'm not too familiar with comic book terminology so...

Anybody know if they're going to publish this series in something like a graphical novel? You know where the publisher puts all the comics from a series in one book and sell it that way. I'd rather buy it in that form than as individual comics.

I didn't quite buy Zayne's change of character. After 6 installments with him as a consumate good guy, this was sort of a left turn out of nowhere. Unless he's learned how to bluff well.
But it wasn't until the end that he saw the true nature of that group of Jedi Masters and why they did what they did. He didn't know the reasons for why they killed his friends, and it wasn't until the end that he could disagree with those reasons.

The masters--my big question--why kill the padawans then?
Apparently they were not taking any chances. With the issues that Exar Kun caused fresh in their minds, they would go to great lengths to prevent a reoccurance.

Why not just take them all to Coruscant and discuss the whole thing with the Council there, find out which one it really was, and deal with that one?
But how would they find out the real one? We are told that this group of masters are the best seers in the order, and they do not know. And the padawans do not know what they eventually will become. It seems that they could only narrow it down so far.

All I kept thinking was that there _had_ to be a better way to handle it than making 5 or 6 innocents suffer to get at the one they were after, not to mention it was a terrible waste of a very precious resource. It's not like Jedi grow on trees.
The thing that makes me wonder is the comment by Lucien about the council breaking up there group, and another mentioned they have worked over great distances before. Something about that made me think that is was an unofficial group that was a secret to the main council...

However, there are lots of references to various aspects of the game, such as Taris, the Hidden Beks and Vulkers, the Mandalorian Wars, Vandar, etc...

Certainly there are lots of things that will be familiar from the games. I'm just glad such a great era is being expanded upon.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that makes me wonder is the comment by Lucien about the council breaking up there group, and another mentioned they have worked over great distances before. Something about that made me think that is was an unofficial group that was a secret to the main council...

After re-reading the 'Commencement' series for the review....

Remember the little exchange with the Masters in issue 1 where they ask if Lucien got approval from the council on Coruscant to take out the Padawans? And Lucien says 'I heard what I needed to hear...It's all set. Be at peace'? After reading #6 and following the scenes just before they kill the Padawans, it confirmed my suspicion that Lucien was lying when he said that in order to make the Masters act, because he was lying pretty much through the entire discussion. This implies to me that the Padawan deaths were needless--they were likely innocent and Lucien's covering up something.

So, is Lucien the one who's the shatterpoint rather than the Padawans?

Things that make you go hmmm.... :)

The masters in #1 ask "Did you contact Coruscant?" there is no mention of any council. All references to the council are in lieu with Dantooine. All we see of Coruscant is the mysterious figure.

So if the Jedi Council is on Dantooine and the mysterious figure on Coruscant and the Taris concil asks for guidance from Coruscant, it should imply the Taris council is somewhat rogue and the Dantooine council are unaware of them and their ideals, but they have suspicions so they split them up, just to be safe.

I does seem like it could have been Luciens lies and his own evil plan, but then they showed the "mysterious figure" on Coruscant that implied that he actually DID contact a sort of superior and heard "what he needed to hear".

There's the main council on Coruscant (because Lucien says they've been recalled to Coruscant in #6) and satellite temples in other places, like Taris and Dantooine.

I don't know who the hooded figure is. I thought of Traya and Revan myself, but there's no good hints yet.

What Lucien says in #6 is "We just heard from the Jedi Council on Dantooine. We've been recalled... to Coruscant". There is no mention of a "main council" on Coruscant anywhere. Since they've received their orders from Dantooine it seems Dantooine outranks Coruscant and that the "main council" is on Dantooine and Coruscant has a satellite temple.

I think we're just so used (from the movies...and all other books and comics) to the council being on coruscant that we just assume there's a council there now too. Which may still be the case, but I've yet to see it mentioned in the Kotor comic.

As for the hooded figure it can't be Revan. The comic is set at the height of the Mandalorian Wars. And by that time Revan was a normal Jedi at war, possibly a Jedi general or commander. Not really the kind of Jedi that would skulk around Coruscant dressed in dark robes. It could be Kreia though.

And all talk about Zayne having an easy affinity to forming tight friendships and the jedi advice he gets to "leave the jedi and forget all about the force" reeks of The Exile. Now I don't think they're allowed to actually define a gender and face to the Exile or Revan, but they can subtly imply it... and that's exactly what they've done.

Zayne's not the Exile. The Exile was a general and a Knight during the Mandalorian wars, so Zayne couldn't be her/him/gender of your choice. But it's an interesting parallel. I'm waiting til noon to roll around so I can call the comic book store to see if the latest issue is in. :)

Hey, Prime--you should put up your summaries at swk, too. I didn't think to add a link to this discussion thread in my review, either. I can add that if you want.

Remember the little exchange with the Masters in issue 1 where they ask if Lucien got approval from the council on Coruscant to take out the Padawans? And Lucien says 'I heard what I needed to hear...It's all set. Be at peace'? After reading #6 and following the scenes just before they kill the Padawans, it confirmed my suspicion that Lucien was lying when he said that in order to make the Masters act, because he was lying pretty much through the entire discussion. This implies to me that the Padawan deaths were needless--they were likely innocent and Lucien's covering up something.

So, is Lucien the one who's the shatterpoint rather than the Padawans?

An excellent point. He doesn't seem quite right to me...

I think we're just so used (from the movies...and all other books and comics) to the council being on coruscant that we just assume there's a council there now too.
We know for a fact that the main council is on Coruscant, as we are told as much in KOTOR.

And all talk about Zayne having an easy affinity to forming tight friendships and the jedi advice he gets to "leave the jedi and forget all about the force" reeks of The Exile. Now I don't think they're allowed to actually define a gender and face to the Exile or Revan, but they can subtly imply it... and that's exactly what they've done.
THe Exile is female canonically. So Zayne != the Exile.

Hey, Prime--you should put up your summaries at swk, too. I didn't think to add a link to this discussion thread in my review, either. I can add that if you want.
OK, when I get a few minutes I'll add that. Do you have link to your review? And feel free to link to this?

My review's up at the swk site. Link is here. I don't mind cross-links at all.

I picked up my copy of #7 and enjoyed it except for being left with some wicked cliffhangers. :D. I have to wait an entire month for some kind of resolution! At least it's not as bad as how I felt in '81 when we got to the end of Empire and I thought to myself "I have to wait 3 entire _years_ to find out what happens to Han? Ugh!!!"

I did not like what they did with Zayne's appearance, however--he looks quite a bit older this issue, and the facial structure is changed. The appearances are quite different from 1-6 and 7. I haven't had a chance to see if that's because a new artist is working on that series or not. Of course, you've now just witnessed the extent of my artistic capacity. :)

I loved Zayne's brief but hilarious take on the Jedi Code, and so did my son. He was looking it over after he finished dinner (I had to read it before, of course :) ), and he thought it was so funny he started laughing and actually took the time to say "Mom, mom, this is funny, you gotta hear it...."

My review's up at the swk site. Link is here. I don't mind cross-links at all.

I did not like what they did with Zayne's appearance, however--he looks quite a bit older this issue, and the facial structure is changed. The appearances are quite different from 1-6 and 7. I haven't had a chance to see if that's because a new artist is working on that series or not.

I noticed that, i think they had a different artist for number 5 as well, it took me a while to clock who exactly Zayne was, i thought i was looking at some random member of the public.

I checked, and it was a different artist. He did a decent job of maintaining the style, but I wish he'd kept the look for Zayne, too. I know every artist is going to bring their ideas to the table, but I would have liked more similarity. I'll get over it, though. :)

Ok, I hate dragging on a pointless discussion as much as the next guy, but I need clarity here. In Kotor the game, Vandar says, they've relocated the Council to Dantooine because... some random reason and in Kotor the comic, the (apparently) same masters are on Dantooine way back then (8 years before kotor the game if I'm not mistaken and at the height of the Mandalorian Wars) and order the Taris council to return to Coruscant...

It just seems weird that they should move the Council around to an Outer Rim agricultural world, when they have to deal with a war and deflecting Jedi.

Unless the Dantooine council is just a local council and they too take orders from Coruscant. But who then is on the council on Coruscant? Does anyone have the old british Kotor comics? Mine are in the cellar and I'd rather avoid going down there just to check. Last time I read them was... like 10-11 years ago and was at that time fairly unimpressed. It didn't really "stick" with me... so I don't remember much and I don't remember there being a council... at all... just Masters and Apprentices, brothers and sisters... Sith ghosts from out of the galaxy... stuff like that... maybe I should dig them up anyway... hmm...

I believe Dantooine was a local council/training academy, and I'm sure they probably reported to Coruscant.

I view it as equivalent to a state university system. I'll use Wisconsin for an example--the main University of Wisconsin campus is at Madison. There are other UW campuses scattered around the state, like in LaCrosse, Milwaukee, Whitewater, etc. Each satellite campus is pretty much autonomous, but they also report to the board of regents and state legislators in Madison.

I'm thinking the satellite Jedi 'campuses' function independently, but also report to Coruscant. Of course, we're talking about a fictional organization, and it's always subject to change at the whim of the writer. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived