Home

KOTOR Comic series discussion thread

Prime

I figured I'd start a new thread for those who are going to be following Dark Horse's KOTOR comic series. Here are previews:

Issue 1 (Jan 25, 2006)

On the planet Taris, a young Padawan named Zayne has been framed for a heinous and brutal crime against the Jedi order. Suddenly a wanted fugitive and on the run from his Jedi Masters, Zayne is forced to ally himself with the under-city's criminals, con artists, and petty thieves he'd previously vowed to bring to justice. Staying alive is the first order of business and if he's ever to clear his name, Zayne must make this new alliance work … providing he survives the experience.

swktor1p2.jpg

Issue 2 (Feb 22, 2006)

Life in the Jedi Order isn't supposed to be easy. It's a culture of strict discipline, hard work, and self-control, and only the galaxy's brightest and most gifted graduate to the Order's upper echelon of Knights and Masters. This is a dilemma padawan Zayne Carrick has faced most of his life, knowing that he might not possess the smarts or abilities needed to rise above his station-it's a problem further compounded by his being accused of murder and put on the run, his former friends and allies out to get him, and the alien con man he's chained to doing everything he can to shake the young Jedi. But there are greater forces at work and Zayne's about to learn that the will of the Force moves in mysterious ways.

swktor2p2.jpg

Issue 3 (Mar 29, 2006)

Zayne Carrick never expected to go far in the Jedi Order. A Padawan of modest skill, the most he ever hoped for was to attain the rank of Jedi knight and to serve the galaxy in his own humble way. Mysterious is the will of the Force, however, and extraordinary circumstances have made Zayne a fugitive, isolated and on the run from the very Order he once swore to uphold. Now, Zayne and his unlikely ally-a criminal entrepreneur called the "the Gryph"-have been forced into the planet Taris' dangerous Under-city, where the only thing more deadly than the Jedi pursuing them are the desperate cutthroats waiting to greet them!

12878.jpg

Issue 4 (Apr 26, 2006)

On the run and desperate to clear his name, fugitive Padawan Zayne Carrick guides his ragtag crew of scoundrels toward a treacherous asteroid moon, returning to the site of a significant moment in his Jedi training and to what he hopes will reveal the reason the entire Republic seems out to get him. The answers only lead to more riddles, however, and before they can fully interpret the information they've stumbled upon, the band of outcasts are assailed by yet another threat. And perhaps most surprising of all, their party grows by one as a new character enters the fray!

12890.jpg

Issue 5 (May 31, 2006)

Fugitive Padawan Zayne Carrick, charged with the murder of his fellow Jedi-in-training, has uncovered a junked droid that may contain vital information . . . too bad his former masters have just caught up to him! Trapped on a desolate moon surface bombarded with asteroids, Zayne's situation seems hopeless, even with a motley crew of space stragglers at his side. But when those same scoundrels bring the droid back online, the truth revealed is far darker and more menacing than any of them could have imagined. Now, Zayne must prove his innocence, not only for his own sake, but for that of the entire Jedi order!

12891.jpg

Thoughts and comments on this series are welcome!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't read the previews for the other 4 issues to keep me surprised when I read them, but I thought the first issue was brilliant. I can't wait till the next one comes in. I was totally surprised at the ending of the first one (even though it sort of gives it away on the cover :fist: )

I just got through the second issue. There is definitely something fishy going on. There is something about the villians that makes me think there is some legitimate reason why they are doing this...

The series is off to a good start IMO...

I just got through the second issue. There is definitely something fishy going on. There is something about the villians that makes me think there is some legitimate reason why they are doing this...

The series is off to a good start IMO...

Definitely, and I think that as Zayne and Gryph get to different planets they will get clues as to why they did what they did. Kinda like KotOR ;)

Has anybody been checking those KOTOR comics??

Are there any references to caracthers for the games or is one (some) of them is it?? The "True Sith"?

If so there cold be more elements to the mythology of the games and clues to where a third game will lead us.

Bobba Fett, I merged your thread with this already existing one on the KotOR Comics. ;) -RH

Has anybody been checking those KOTOR comics??

Are there any references to caracthers for the games or is one (some) of them is it??

There has been appearances by game characters as well as references to various groups from the games. The story is currently taking place on Taris.

The "True Sith"?
Not yet.

If so there cold be more elements to the mythology of the games and clues to where a third game will lead us.
Not too likely. The story takes place years before the original KOTOR. There could potentially be a connection to KOTOR 3, but not directly.

Right. Prior to a previous post on another thread about finding the Comics hard to get hold of in the UK, as usual Ebay saves the day. I found issue #1 (a guy with a green lightsaber on it) and issue #2 (guy on swoop) and i have just purchased them. £2.50 each, im not argueing. Just to confirm, are these the only ones out at the moment so when i have these, i will be up to date on them until the March Issue comes out?

Im as happy as a pig in poo!

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever get it, please shead some light on the story and the caracthers evolution.

I could only get my hands on the teaser that came with in a mix issue along some Rebellion story and couldn't make much sense of the KOTOR elements.

Thanks

:vsd:

Well, issue #3 is out. It appears that this was mainly a meet-the-party story, and now the crew is off Taris and on their merry way. The new additions seem pretty interesting and not your typical archtype sidekicks. I think there is some potential with these characters. The overall plot wasn't progressed too far, but that was mainly due to the character introductions. Now that the first three issues are complete I get the impression that the story setup is now complete...

I mean would you like for any of them to be included in the KOTOR 3 game?? or is the timetable to far off for any of them to make an apperance on the days of Revan/Exile??

I'm in Portugal / Europe and the only thing in the stores around here is the mix issue KOTOR(prequel)/Rebellion so I only got the very start od the series, but already I'm a fan of the little weasel: Gryph. He is a case of love at first site.

I don't know what to make of Zayne Carrick /"Junior Jedi" do, he just looked like the aprentice from KOTOR 2 with a bad luck curse. I'm mean he isn't a Inspector Closeau just some guy to how everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Have the Mandalorians showed up yet (in number 2 or 3??). I really like to play a game where you were uo against them when they before their downfall.

I mean would you like for any of them to be included in the KOTOR 3 game?? or is the timetable to far off for any of them to make an apperance on the days of Revan/Exile??
Personally I would doubt it. Presumably K3 would take place after TSL, and this series is set before KOTOR during the Mandalorian Wars. But who knows.

I'm in Portugal / Europe and the only thing in the stores around here is the mix issue KOTOR(prequel)/Rebellion so I only got the very start od the series, but already I'm a fan of the little weasel: Gryph. He is a case of love at first site.
He has been a good character so far. He is a nice change from that normal SW archtypes.

I don't know what to make of Zayne Carrick /"Junior Jedi" do, he just looked like the aprentice from KOTOR 2 with a bad luck curse. I'm mean he isn't a Inspector Closeau just some guy to how everything that can go wrong will go wrong.
My only complaint about Zayne right now is that he seems a little too bumbling sometimes. He is a Jedi padawan afterall...

Have the Mandalorians showed up yet (in number 2 or 3??). I really like to play a game where you were uo against them when they before their downfall.
Not yet. But now that they group is heading offworld it is more likely that they will run into them somewhere.

Things are really looking good and this get to me because I don't even have the number 1 issue in my country yet (God knows how long will take me to get the full series).

I hope the Mandalorians are not treated like Tusken Raiders and get the enough spotlight.

Overall, I hope the autors have the freedom to be ambitious in the scope of the events of the series since they are threading new territory.

• 2 months later...

Yes, I am bumping this thread...

Well, the six part series is complete, and I have to say that it was very entertaining and went in directions that I did not expect. There are still lots of questions that remain regarding what Zayne will be doing in the upcoming issues, either for good or evil. Also, I loved the way that the masters that were chasing him did the things they did because of their ideals, whether we would agree with them or not. Definitely lots of feed for thought.

And who was the cloaked figure in that last issue? Kriea perhaps?

Archived