KOTOR Comic series discussion thread

Prime

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Just picked up Issue #9:

12895.jpg

"Secret motivations and a troubled history are revealed in this standalone story of fear, neglect, and betrayal in the Old Republic! After the great Sith War, one Jedi dedicated herself to training only the most gifted seers in hopes of foretelling and preventing the return of the Sith. But obsession with her mission led to oversight elsewhere, allowing dark influences to take hold amidst the Jedi order. Now, events have been set in motion that cannot be undone, the consequences of which will rewrite the fate of the entire galaxy!"

Prime's Review

Story: (spoilers)

This is without a doubt my favorite issue in this series to date, and probably any of the new series for that matter. Miller is really developing an interesting world that twists on familiar Star Wars. This issue gives much more insight into the events of the original story arch and why the masters on Taris took the actions they did in the first issue. We get a much better picture of Lucien and what motivates him, and to a less extent the other masters. We see Lucien at various points in his life over a 30 year period, including his training as well as his relationship with his mother. Because of the subject matter, it is quite a dark story. Lucien is fast becoming one of my favorite characters.

As the issue progresses we find that the Jedi Order of this era is very different from what we know from the films, and we see that the scars from the war with Exar Kun run very deep. Lucien was raised by his mother, a powerful Jedi who appears to have become disallusioned and left the Jedi Order after the death of her husband and other members of her family as a result of the first Sith War. It is at the family estate that she trains Jedi, focusing on seers (consulars in the game) that can forsee the future. Lucien's relationship with his mother suffers because he does not have this ability (he is a guardian in game terms). His mother's only goal is to prevent the Sith's return.

It is from this look into Lucien's upbringing that we see clearly the reason for the killing of the padawans on Taris. It appears that Lucien's mother, and others, seek to fortell the return of the Sith, and destroy them at all costs. This is the nature of the Covenant that Lucien mentions in previous issues. It exists with this sole purpose. This group appears to work outside the Jedi Order in secrecy, and disregards the Council's orders when they feel it is necessary. At this point of the story, they feel Zayne will somehow bring about the Sith once more, and so they feel he must be stopped.

One of the great things about this issue is that we see factions of the Jedi that operate so independantly from the Council, and even go directly against it. Whether this is a rare thing isn't quite clear, but between the Covenant and Revan, it appears to be less than rare. It is certainly not the unified order of Kenobi's time. Perhaps this is one reason why families of Jedi (and bloodlines) were eventually done away with in the future milennia. It was much easier to Jedi to further their own agendas.

If you are a fan of the games then there is plenty here to enjoy in terms of expanding the backstory, moreso than any other issue to date. There is insight into the effects of the Sith War and the Mandalorian Wars and how they shape the galaxy to the point we see in the first KOTOR game. There are tons of characters that make both major and minor appearances. We see Masters Lamar and Zez-Kai Ell in the councilchambers, and Vandar, Vrook, Atris, and even one that we can only assume is Revan all have dialog. From these characters we see firsthand how Revan (in the beginning at least) was misleading the Council about what he was doing, as well as the Council's opposition through Vrook and Atris.

Personally I think the EU need more of these sort of one shot stories involving peripheral characters (especially the post-ROTJ EU).

Art:

Personally I much prefer Ching's art over Weavers (Issue 8). Weaver's is too cartoony looking for my liking. Ching's depictions have a more realistic feel, and portrays emotions and facial details much better, which seems to give his characters a bit more depth. He also draws action scenes more fluidly over multiple panels.

However, I do find some of the Jedi robes a little bit too colourful at times. :)

Summary:

As I mentioned earlier, this is my favorite issue in the new KOTOR series. Lots of background that fleshes out that point in history as well as providing lots of tidbits for fans of the games. I find myself more sympathetic to these secondary characters (especially Lucien), which is great considering they are more or less the protagonists for the main character, Zayne.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this leads.

You mean the comics, Ztalker? There's actually a relatively easy way of getting comics to read on your computer, if you're desperate enough. It's not exactly legal though, strictly speaking; probably not a good idea.

There's also a trade paperback coming out November 22nd, of the first story arc (Issues 0-6), which should be pretty easy to find on the net. Try amazon.com, or other online bookstores.

Lol. Well, I can't help you with Miss Kreuk, but, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Republic-1-Commencement/dp/1593076401/sr=1-1/qid=1162474591/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8827178-5368910?ie=UTF8&s=books

You can preorder it, so it'll be dispatched as soon as they get it in. Good price too; looks like you can keep your kidney after all. If you're in Europe (like me), check out amazon in your own country.

You mean the comics, Ztalker? There's actually a relatively easy way of getting comics to read on your computer, if you're desperate enough. It's not exactly legal though, strictly speaking; probably not a good idea.
Let's leave that kind of discussion out of these forums. Thanks. ;)

Just read issue nine and it's as interesting as the previous issues were, I just wonder who that hooded figure is supposed to be, the one that left the council before Draay and the other four arrived (I suspect it's Revan, but I'm not sure). Also, is it just me, or does Haazen resemble Darth Sion a little too much?

I think it is clearly Revan. The interesting thing is that it shows that at the beginning at least he was not entirely forthcoming with what he was doing...

Also interesting that in the end the Covanent was more intune with the real threat...

Just read issue nine and it's as interesting as the previous issues were, I just wonder who that hooded figure is supposed to be, the one that left the council before Draay and the other four arrived (I suspect it's Revan, but I'm not sure). Also, is it just me, or does Haazen resemble Darth Sion a little too much?

Honestly, Haazen reminds me of the prototype sketch of General Grievous for Episode 3 which was Darth mauls top half and the rest robotic. There is more than a passing resemblance althoygh im glad ching is doing the artwork again. Finally i recognised Zayne!

It obviously was supposed to be Revan. The conversation that the covenant have afterwards should be indicative of that, if nothing else. The dramatic irony that the coversation is steeped in makes it a fantastic piece of writing ...

"A Sith Lord could walk right in front of the council and they'd lecture him about neutrality!" -- This is exactly what did just happen, only, no-one knows it yet. :D

And the clincher: "Back home, reclaiming ground lost in war was the noblest cause you could have. Jurmaarz, we called it -- what's the basic word?" -- And Lucien answers: "Revanchism."

• 3 weeks later...

That looks awesome.

I wonder if they'll touch on why Mandalore the Ultimate's helmet looks a bit different to Canderous' version in KotOR II? I've always wondered about that. Canderous says he recovered Mandalore's helmet after their defeat, but it clearly is different. Methinks we're in need of some form of retcon, for continuity's sake.

I'm really curious about where this series is going next. I looked on Dark Horse's site but the descriptions of the individual issues are pretty vague. I'm not sure I want to know too much anyway, but I'm still curious.

I read the tenth issue yesterday and it is as good as the previous ones. I especially liked the hint on the Sith Lord in the red space suit from the vision of the Covenant masters. Spooooky.

Yes, that struck me as well. Basically we got a clue here about the vision the masters had about this dark lord. They were correct it was a "student", but not one of their own. It seems now that it was Squint. We met him back in KotOR/Rebllion issue 0, where Q'anilia had a sensation of "something bad, something near" right when Squint gets on his transport and leaves. Hmm...

And note some of the things he says. Right when Rohlan brings out Demagol and says he had to strike him again, Squint says it's shame that he wasn't there himself. Scarcely jedi ideals there, I think...

And of course, he's a padawan too, to some extent. The second I saw him in that red spacesuit, I suspected something. When he finally put the visor down, I was rather certain.

Who he will turn out to be, however, is difficult to say. He says that his last name is "a bit of a mouthful", but that they can call him Alek. Since I doubt we'll see Revan's face exposed, I don't think it's Revan. I'd agree with Prime and Balderdash, that Revan was the hooded figure we saw talking to the jedi council in issue 9. However, unlike issue 0, Squint/Alek was virtually bald in the Flashpoint arc, so maybe he could really be Malak. I mean, Alek - Malak. Not too far apart...

Still, just supposition and conjecture, and I'd hate to jump to conclusions. Already I hear speculation that Krynda is Kreia, that Haazen is Sion, etc. which I think it jumping the gun rather a lot. But it'll be interesting to see.

Archived