Home

What's coming up!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

I thought I'd best post a quick update to let all of you know whats on the cards for the next few months.

The site.

Well, I have to agree with the majority that our current site is a little bland. So I am addressing this and the site will also feature a different Empire/Rebel them and it is looking good! This will launch just after E3.

Competition Winners

A delay in announcing the winners. The prizes are being autographed as we speak but tracking everyone down is slowing the process - wont be long!

Mod tools

Are on their way and should be here very soon. We are trying to get Lucasfiles to allow instant uploads but this is something we are looking into. Fingers crossed!

Player made maps

Once the tools are released, expect to see a competition that will have an incredible prize - cant say too much about that right now.

EaW History

We are working with Lucasarts and Petroglyph to bring you a comprehensive story about how Empire at War came about. It's very interesting indeed.

E3

Its coming! Lucasarts will have their biggest booth ever this year. Expect to see Indy Jones, Lego Star Wars 2, Star wars Galaxies (yawn) and a few NEW treats!

Party forums

I would be interested on feedback for this. Are they worth doing? Do you guys want one? A party forum is where we all select a time and meet up online and play other members from the forums.

Lego Star Wars 2

For those of you who do not get the Network Newsletter - we will soon be launching Legostarwars2.net - keep your eyes peeled for it!

If you guys can think of anything else, please post away!

DMUK

Yeah, a forum party sounds like a great idea. I'd love to play with/against some of the people here. I've always wondered if some of these people have different names in EaW than the names they use here. I may have played some of you and not even known it. (my name's the same in both places)

There's a lot of people who post strategies and such. I think it's high time to actually try them out and share/compare. :) Oh, I can smell the lazer blasts now...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DarthMaulUK

*** UPDATED ***

Today (19th April) launched the new looking site. Im sure you will all like it. Also, announced the competition winners on the main news page.

DMUK

Hey Darth,

Snazzy design. I like how all the main areas of the site are laid out on the left sidebar, and I particularly like the way the borders change when you select the Empire or Rebellion. ;) A couple suggestions for you, though:

• The community-related links in the right sidebar could do with their own graphical buttons to balance the nav bar on the left...and calling more attention to things like the player gallery would be great, that's an awesome feature!
  • Speaking of the player gallery, I think a little tag on the images crediting the players that took those shots might be good. (I don't mind my shots being used--I'm thrilled--I just think credit where credit is due is better than not.)
  • More information on the units would be totally awesome. Something like Blizzard's battle.net, which shows unit stats along with detailed descriptions. At the very least, seeing health points, shield points, hardpoints and/or damage type would be great. You could also build in the standard 'counters' lists. This could become a really excellent resource!
  • I hate to seem nitpicky, but one of the things that I think really makes a site polished and well-presented is being free of typos. You've got the flashy graphics, now the content has to live up to presenting information in detail and in a readable way. I was a little startled to see "The webs number 1 EaW fansite" on the main page rather than "The web's number 1..." It's a little slip, but just seems slightly unprofessional. Most of the rest of the site seems fine, except for the unit descriptions. Some are practically in broken English, like this little gem: "Tartan Patrol Cruiser - This unit is fast and well armed that can hold their own against Rebel fighters, frigates, & corvettes." That entry verges on unintelligible, while the others I noticed were just little nitpicky rule violations. Again, I don't want to be disparaging, it just seems more professional to me when everything on a site is presented properly.

Thanks for the update, there's a great framework there for some excellent content!

Guest DarthMaulUK

Well, all the unit info came direct from the manual.I thoink it wouldnt be tough to detail unti info with full stats as I havent had time or know what they are. The tag idea for player screens is a good one - I still have to look into why the first image has a purple border. Totally random!

The web(')s number 1 site - I dont really pay much attention to using ' when typing.Lazy? Yes! Glad you all like the new design, its certainly nice eye candy!

DMUK

Archived