Home

Author, Author !!!

Cygnus Q'ol

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now I'm reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

I love the RC books by Karen Traviss.

Basically all the books that I've read by Michael Chriton I've liked.

The Halo series was good, IMO.

I liked the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer, too.

There are many more that I'm not thinking of now as well. Every so often, we'll read a book that I really like in school that isn't one that I would've read on my own. I like it when that happens. That wasn't the case with the Nancy Drew book though. It took me all year to get halfway through, and not because it was long, lol. I picked a different book to do my project on. Not that Nancy Drew books are bad, its just that I'm not interested in the plots.

Just a question are these books good?

Icy Sparks- Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Don Quixote- Cervantes

I have to read these books for school this summer, but Cervantes is huge!!!

I haven't read Icy Sparks, but there's a reason Don Quixote is on your reading list. It's an example of classic literature that should be explored. It's a little long in parts, but it's worth it. Kinda like Hemmingway. It takes a little bit to get in, but once you do, you can't stop.

Has anyone ever read 3001 by Clarke? Very interesting view of the future.

Not just near future but a very distant peek at civilization long into it's evolution. Brilliant and a great read.

Jupiter by Ben Bova is one helluva ride. Could not put it down. I lost a lot of sleep 'till I finished that one. Not what you'd expect. Nothing at all like 'Mars'.

New books to add, well they are already on my shelf. I'm so ashamed at having so many books that they are everywhere and mixed with my Mom's books.

The Power of One-no not the movie, the actual book

Tandia- the sequel to the Power of One

In the Name of Salome

Angels and Demons-yet again

The DaVinci Code-yer again

Aztec and Mayan Myths

The Serrano Indians-actually a paper published

Tales of the Plumed Serpent-Aztec and Mayan Myths

One book that I read over the summer was called Midsummer Century. It had a very interesting view of the future. Humans went back to a tribal culture. What was really interesting was that the birds evolved into the dominate race and threatened the humans existance.

It started out some guy falling into some wierd telescope which teleported him into this future. He had to travel through the land of the birds in another humans body. He was going to some land for some reason. It was one of those books that you can never understand. It had a good plot, but it was so confusing that I couldn't tell what was going on. It ended with him inside a computer for thousands of years and then randomly being transferred back into the telescope. All these thousands of years he spent in the future took place before he hit the bottom of the telescope. I forgot who the author was, and probably wouldn't recomend it.

Angels and Demons comes before DaVinci Code. It takes place at the smallest state in the world, Vatican city. It still involves Robert Langdon but a different girl and the biggest conspiracy to hit history: the Illuminati. It is really quite interesting, still the same suspense ecetera.

Here's one that didn't get mentioned yet: Shakespeare.

His comedies are great.

@JM12

if you like Civil War stuff, try "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara

and a totally chick kind of book since I saw the Joy Luck Club on your list, Helen Hooven Santmyer's "...and Ladies of the Club". I read it when I was in high school.

It's long (about 1000 pages) and if you're looking for action, you'll need a different book. However, it's an interesting character study of a group of women in a small town in the late 1800's.

I read Hamlet. One of his best in my opinion. Thanks for the suggestion Jae on Killer Angels.

Another that I read was All's Quiet on the Western Front. Good book very sad yet insightful.

Two excellent choices there, JM12!

I'll agree that Hamlet is probably Shakespeare's best work (So far as his plays go). But his best character is in Othello - Iago. I love Iago!! I seem to remember turning half of an essay on the first act of Othello into an analysis of him... the fact that he is not the title role yet has the most lines and the best character is also interesting.

He takes a machiavellian delight in his evil doing and is so obsessed with how base and amoral he has to prove it to others - showing us very clearly that he is not at all free from the chains of society. Another point is that he is so very interested in other people's sex-lives yet he never once has anything to say to his wife that is remotely romantic...

I'm also a fan of Julius Caesar, very interesting :).

Is that anything like Tobin's Spirit Guide?

In a manner of speaking. It gives the background on the types of herds, the spells, the definition of a witch and goes into familiars and demons. It's just basically an encyclopedia on witches.

@Pavlos: I haven't read Othello. I did read All's Well That Ends Well. Interesting story of a woman doing anything to get the man she loves though I think he wasn't even remotely interested in her. Another book that I am reading right now is In the Name of Salome by Juloa Alvarez. An interesting look at two women, a mother and a daughter, during a time of revolution and a time of uncertainty. It ranks with Alvarez's other novel How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent. Another great book: Zorro by Isabel Allende. This one tells of the origins of Diego de la Vega before he becomes the legend. It's an intersting turn of events.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I don't have enough time to read threw (through?) two and a half pages of people's favorite authors/books, so if these have already been mentioned...I like them too, and don't feel like quoting you :):

Christopher Paolini - Eragon, Eldest. I liked Eragon more than Eldest, not to say that Eldest was bad. But CP needs to get outside his parent's house and get a date. He can't write romance for ****s and giggles (not that I can, but still!).

JK Rowling - Harry Pothead. Probably one of the best series' ever created.

James Patterson - Alex Cross novels. I love his books. You always get some sort of twist.

JP - Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, Sam's letters to Jennifer. I didn't cry, I was "concentrating on the moment."

Nicholas Sparks - A Walk to Remember, True Believer, A Bend in the Road, Nights in Rodanthe. He knows how to tickle our tears, that's for sure.

Stephen King - IT. Once you get past the first 500 pages, it actually gets pretty scary. It was pretty long, and I'd never reread it for its sheer size, but I did like it a lot.

Dave Pelzer - A Boy Called "It." Wow. All I'm going to say.

Those are the only ones I can think of off my head. I'll be adding more. A LOT MORE. :)

Archived