Home

Dialogs

Miltiades

Is what you are asking, "Where are the dialog files for NPC's other then party members found in KotorTool?

What do you mean by "How can you know?"

If you are asking which dialogs correspond to correct npc's, my way of finding out is to open up KT, find the *.utc for the character, and then look where it says "dialog" after opening the utc. That is the dialog name.

_EW_

No, that's not what I mean. There are a few dialog files who aren't used in the game (Kotor1).

I'm editing the dialog files, but one time I had put a dialog file in the override. And then there were a few problems in game. I don't want to make the same mistake again, and I don't want to edit unused files, so I want to make sure the dialog files I change are all used in the game.

i'd say modify just the ones you'r sure of. there is one way though, you can use a tool (i don't recall the name, findrefs or something) to search the name of the dialog, you'll find the utc's and the scripts that actually use the dialog and when/where, this way is easier to find out at least

Well, I'm not sure if tar04_blackvulk.dlg is used in the game (Taris Undercity). Also, I have two dialogs of Shaleena. First is tar04_outman041.dlg which has both the two guys who claim the lift is theirs and then Shaleena. And the second is tar04_shaleena.dlg, which aonly has Shaleena's dialogue.

Maybe someone here knows which are used in the game.

Both Shaleena dlg's are used. The first is when the 2 boys come up to shake you down when you step off the lift into sewers/undercity. After she breaks everything up later you can talk to her again and the game uses a seperate dlg file. The black vulkar dlg I'm uncertain on as you haven't mentioned what they say. However I would wager it to is used in game.

Many of the dlgs can be fired from scripts based upon certain conditions.

In the Undercity, there's a Black Vulkar group waiting for you, and attacks you. You can kill them all, except one. When you've killed them, the dialog of the one remaining starts. In this dialog, he surrenders and you can let him leave, or kill him anyway. I can't remember this in one of my playthroughs, so I guess this has been cut. There was also one with a Sith patrol in the sewers (almost the same as in the Undercity, but then with some other lines). Haven't seen this one too.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

That may be the dlg from the Black Vulkars if you take the mission to go kill the other gang leader. There is a group waiting to take you back to the black vulkar base. I believe you can kill them all but one as you described.

It sounds like the Black Vulkar that's in the Security area behind the door.. he has a fight-talk sequence?

He'll attack then give up.. you can then ask him where Bastila is, blah blah.. after the talk you can either let him go or finish him off?

However, he's not necessarily with a "group".. he's a loner in a small room part of a bigger area that leads down to the Vulkar underbase (elevators). I could be thinking of the wrong one though... :giveup:

It sounds like the Black Vulkar that's in the Security area behind the door.. he has a fight-talk sequence?

He'll attack then give up.. you can then ask him where Bastila is, blah blah.. after the talk you can either let him go or finish him off?

However, he's not necessarily with a "group".. he's a loner in a small room part of a bigger area that leads down to the Vulkar underbase (elevators). I could be thinking of the wrong one though... :giveup:

You mean the Twi'lek in the Vulkar base? No, that's not him. It's actually a human in the Undercity who works for Brejik.

@darkkender: Hmm, could be. Don't play DS that much. But in the dialog file, there's a comment. It says: "As soon as one Vulkar is dead the other should surrender, go neutral and initiate dialog." (Well, it's not a group, but they're with two).

I found a few other dialogs, strangely enough are all found in the Black Vulkar base. In the dialogs, a lab is a few times mentioned. And you can talk against black Vulkars, without them attacking you. Is this whole module cut, or was I sleeping while playing this part?

You can find the VO in the StreamWaves folder. I haven't heard it before.

Can it be restored?

Edit: I got another question. If I put one of the dialog files in the override file that aren't used in-game, will it cause problems? Well, I think it can, but will it always cause problems?

It could, but you would have to do a little bit of work to add in more NPCs and some more items and things...

If you load up the module by typing "warp tar#####" with those pound signs being replaced with the module name, you can play around in that module and do a side quest, IIRC... unless you couldn't complete it.... It had something to do with spice? Be sure to play pazaak with the woman(?) in the corner of the cafeteria.

You would, however, need to fix some of the parts in there such as the thing that had to do with the machinery or something...

I can't remember fully, but it is certainly possible....

_EW_

I don't remember the machinery thing. I only remember the pazaak player :p You can look at the .dlgs for that module to see what else was planned.

You can drop the files in your override folder but I recommend using tk102's findrefs first to check if the file has a unique name. Although this occurs mostly with .utc files, I think that there are a few dialogue files with the same name as well. Otherwise, you will end up overwriting every other file with that name and that can cause some trouble later in the game.

If two dialogs have the same name, then isn't one of them unused?

Not necessarily... depending on the module that calls for it, the dialogue that's named the same may be self-contained in the .mod/.git/.rim etc. itself..

It's why certain items in the game can only be "cheated" in, if you're in a specific area.. (it only exists in that area) otherwise you have to throw that .uti (or in this case, .dlg) in the override (global-wide use)...

the problem now, is that the game will use the override version for each occurence of the uti/dlg rather than the module specific version

hope that wasn't more confusing.. hehehe..

No, I understand. But that makes it difficult to put dialog files with the same name in the override if you want them both.

indeed... near impossible...

Best way would be to name your dialogue "uniquely" if (and is the reason for this thread I'm assuming) that dialogue isn't used by the game in any way.. ;)

Otherwise, It may require unpacking, making your changes then re-packing the mod so that your changes will definitely work..

However, I'm sure there are more qualified modders here that's dealt with this particular area of expertise (I can think of several that come to mind.. hehehe).. and hopefully use the correct terminology as mine has probably confused others here quite enough ;)

No, I want to change the dialogue that is used by the game. And the unpacking and re-packing, I'll remember that. Luckily, there aren't a lot of dialog files with the same name, and I haven't encountered problems so far (though I haven't tested in a while :p)

Archived