Home

What's Wrong With The Special?

urluckyday

Which Star Wars Version Do You Like The Most?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Wars Version Do You Like The Most?

• The originals...like 1977 original
    • The special edition (1997) or (2004) DVD versions
    • Both are amazing

I've always wondered something. What is so wrong with the Special and DVD versions of Star Wars? I mean it is pretty cool to get a nostalgic feel when watching the "original" Star Wars episodes, but I think that the DVD versions are just as great as the "originals". I don't know about you, but I love them either way!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hear, hear. Fanboys who get their panties all in a wad over George's "greedy sacrilege" or whatever-the-heck need to just relax a little bit and enjoy the ride.

However, you do have to credit them for the release of the originals this coming fall, although some of them are even griping about that because it's not being done in exactly the very specific and totally the only possible freakin' way they wanted.

Whatever. There's no pleasing some people.

A few things, like Han shooting first, are cooler in the originals. Also, they totally f***ed up the sabers in the DVD versions. We see Vader with a pink saber at various points, and even though these new blades are supposed to be more liek the prequel sabers, they are frequently assymmetric (the blade doesn't line up w/ the glow). Last, of course, is the inclusion of Hayden Christianson at the end of ROTJ, a decision which does not make sense in terms of the story. Furthermore, Hayden doesn't deserve to be in one of the better movies. ;) I believe these are the primary gripes, and they are perhaps the only things I would like changed about the DVD version.

Heh, and I was so disappointed in the way Sebastian Shaw looked that I would have accepted almost anyone George decided to put in his place in the SE...

Buddy Hackett

Jonathan Winters

Arnold Schwarzenegger

The Elephant Man

Anyone. Hayden worked just fine for me, although they could've made him look a bit older, IMO.

Well, I like the original more definitely. That having said, I do enjoy the enhanced graphics(like the touched up rancor) and outside footage on the planets, as well as some of the recoloring.

I do not enjoy the "altering" stuff, like the crawling Jabba and new dancers, and I don't even want to mention Greedo...

im not exactly easy to entertain :r2d2: ooo look a blue droid (10 points if you catch the reference) but I like both versions. though Im not sure I want to spend $30 for 2 versions of 1 of the OT movies, 1 of which i just bought last year

To be honest. I think George is getting too money hungry. I am not a fan of all the edits to the Special Eddition, but I do like how he fixed them up. Sweet! :)

I didn't like Shaw being replaced by Hayden, and I found no logical reasoning for it. I am not a big fan of Haydens, and I am not going to be one any time soon.

I also didn't like Greedo shooting first, nor did I like the 'Little Shop of Horrors' head in the Sarlac.

Everything else was pretty cool.

My only problem with this mess is that George is releasing another set of his movies. If I knew he was going to re-release the 1977 version, I would have not bought the Special Edittion.

It was a known factor that George added the Ewoks to Return of the Jedi, so he can sell merchandise to kids. I think he still carries the same mantality today.

Nostelgic reasons. Remember, I did not say there was anything wrong with the films. I did say I prefer preserving certain nostelgic elements of Episode IV,V, and VI

Lets see who played Darth Vader:

Episode III:

Hayden Christensen (For five seconds)

Episode IV, V, and VI:

David Prowse (For 3 Movies. Except for Stunts.)

James Earl Jones (Played Darth Vader. The Voice. 4 Movies.)

Bob Anderson (Vader’s fighting for 3 movies.)

Episode VI:

Shaw (For 5 seconds.)

Lets see who played Anakin Skywalker:

Episode I:

Jake Lloyd (For one movie)

Episode II & III:

Hayden Christensen (For 2 whole movies)

Episode VI:

Shaw (For 5 seconds.)

From where I stand, I don't see why Shaw was replaced by Hayden. The character didn't have one solid actor the whole time. Maybe it should have been James Earl Jones. I just don't see any logic in changing the force ghost to Hayden.

We could go back to Episode I-III, and change the actors heads to a digital younger David Prowse. Remember, Shaw also wore the Vader outfit.

What if George decided in about twenty years to change Hayden's face in Episode II and III to a digitally younger David Prowse (The Original Darth Vader)? Would you be upset?

Think about it this way: Several of us have been bourght up with the original cut of Star Wars for 30 years. One day, George decided to make tweaks to his films. After making several cool tweaks, he also managed to make some argumental tweaks. The movie that I grew up with no longer exists. The movie that I fell to admire for its place in film history has been overhauled in a way that is indifferent. If the Star Wars saga was built from Episode I - VI, from the very beginning, I would probally not like the franchise. Episode I-III don't sit well with me. When it comes to George making changes to Episode IV-VI, this ultimately changes the story I grew up with.

From my perspective: Luke Skywalker & Han Solo are at the center of Star Wars.

To everyone who did not see the original 1977 cut, they see Anikan Skywalker at the center of Star Wars.

Boba Fett is a prime example of another change, which I honestly didn't want to see happen. I felt that seeing Boba Fett as a child ruined my perspective of him. I rather think he is ruthless, but now I see him as a cheap kid in a bounty hunters suit looking for revenge.

Mediclorians (sp?) are another example of horrible changes to the story. I grew up with the force being an energy filed, which a human can summons and control. Now, that idea was crushed by the medaclorians. Grrr....

Princes Leia's story is intresting. She was the only one who remembered what her mothers face looked like. Episode III messed that logic up. A five minute old baby will not remember the events that occur at the time. I personally thought Leia was brought up for a few years or so by her mother, and Luke was seperated from them to protect them fromVader. Combined, they act like a force beacon, which Vader could find and locate. Seperately, the force would bee too weak for Vader to notice.

Archived