Home

The new age of Darth Nihilus, Alive Again

ViperSkeele

I found nothing wrong with Nihilus, save his lack of backstory. The reason he was weak when you fight him is that he tries to feed off the player but exausts much of his strength, trying to feed off what is really an absence in the force. That is also why Nihilus bothered using a lightsaber.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^

True. I just still feel that the Exile being absence of force should have been the reason why it was merely possible for the Exile to defeat Nihilus, not the reason why Nihilus became a weakling. I mean, this is a guy who quite literally eats planets for breakfast, so even if an attempt to feed off the Exile exhausts him, it should still have been an almost impossible battle - the sort that you have to play over and over to survive... Yet I was able to defeat Nihilus rather easily... on hard difficulty... with a sentinel/jedi master, who wasn't even particularly built toward lightsaber battle. That did seem wrong, somehow.

As for backstory, I suspect there is a really good reason why we never learn about it. I also think it will be revealed in K3. There were a number things there that were passed over rather conveniently in K2...

he did look cool tho, I will give him that.

OK, so you see a spark of coolness regardless of the poor writing. You have to know a talented writer with a twist for the creepy (Stephen King comes to mind) could write an excuse for him to come back, and take all the coolness ( I LOVED the look and the Voice was Killer) and create a new chapter for Nihilus explaining who he started out as, where he came from, how he got the ultra cool ultra creepy voice, why he wears the mask, etc. If he was written with some character and personality, the disappointment we all felt about the flat character developement given him in K2 COULD BE OVERCOME, you know what, I think I could even whip up something interesting. To me his character was like a sample of something delicious from the grocery store; it's tasty but unfulfilling, I think with a little work this character could become as cool as or cooler than Darth Maul, a unique and terrible being with abilities and powers far beyond anything we saw already, and an adversary that would make even a Jedi Master fearful. What we experienced in the game was totally inconsistent with the power he was supposed to have, he wasn't even a challenge, and I was disappointed. This is why I want more, I think a character with great potential was wasted, and I don't completely buy it that he was so easily killed...the makings of a much better story of his return, and his destiny

OK, so you see a spark of coolness regardless of the poor writing. You have to know a talented writer with a twist for the creepy (Stephen King comes to mind) could write an excuse for him to come back, and take all the coolness ( I LOVED the look and the Voice was Killer) and create a new chapter for Nihilus explaining who he started out as, where he came from, how he got the ultra cool ultra creepy voice, why he wears the mask, etc.

The thing is, I think he was actually planned to be "flat" and "wasted" in K2 to some degree (well, maybe those aren't the right words...), so that his origin could serve as a major revelation in K3, and not in a good way (meaning benevolent). You know, the sort that makes you go, "OMG! THAT's where Nihilus came from!?!?!"

A lot of you guys are being a bunch of grouches ^.^

You have to remember that Nihilus, Scion, Kriea, etc. pretty much the entire TSL game was juts kind of...crappy...

They didn't put much effort into it...etc...etc....we've all heard about the lameness of TSL, so I won't re-preach to much.

For a character who was put in a crappy/rushed/"mysterious" (AKA lack-of-character-development) game, Nihilus was pretty DAMN cool. So was Scion.

Heres my 2 cents.

I haven't played TSL in awhile...but as I remember it Nihilus was WEAK SAUCE compared to what everyone made him out to be. I know there was some BS reason he was weak, but he was still WAAY-OVERRATED power wise. I think they SHOULD (Maybe even need ;)) to bring him back. He and Scion both ;). (Scion never...died...did he? I mean that was his thing right? Being a zombish-type guy? Its been like a year since I played TSL ^.^)

KOTOR needs some consistency, so why not bring back some old-baddies? Maybe explain why Nihilus was so weak the first fight around(In-Depth this time :D)? Give some background to him and Scion, and have Nihilus at "full strength" so hes actually...hard to beat? Maybe even up Scion in some way too?

Really though, think about it. You've just killed a Sith Lord that literally EATS PLANETS. Who could be more powerful than that guy? A Rancor trained in the ways of the Sith with brain implants to make to have superior intelligence? How bout a Trentek/Krayt Dragon bionic hybrid? Or Maybe an evil clone of Revan with infused Wookie blood for enhanced strength and a stylish, yet disturbing, hair-do @.@? Oooh! I know, a Sith Lord that can eat...2 planets...AT ONCE...O.O BUMBUMBUMMMMMMM!!!!! :smash:

Imo, every Sith lord in the kotor games has an extensive background story, with the exception of Nihilus.

-Sion is the evil marauder, mentally and physically a wreck, only kept alove by the Force itself.

-Darth Traya is an unbelievable manipulator with some strange motives and a very strange background.

-Malak was just...rockzor. Nuf said.

And what did we get with Nihilus? Nothing. Just a guy in an evil ghost-ship, flaoting around. Woopidoo.

Imo, Nihilus' story should have been much better. I would have loved more of those 'prepare' speeches of the Miraluka. maybe she could train you for the confrontation os something...add some more cutscenes of Nihilus...it would make sense...

All we get now is:

"You will battle my master soon"

"No sh*t"

"My life is yours"

I agree that Nihilus' background should be more complex. Same goes for his 'relationship' with the 'blind one.'

I have made my point before, and I will make it again.

Nihilus was repeatably stabbed with beams of pure energy, and then fell over on the ground. The several-mile long ship he was on then exploded in a humungous blaze, and the debris was left in the vacuum of space to be fired upon by the Republic fleet if there werre survivors. Whether he eats planets or not, Nihilus is still a mortal. If he gets stabbed, he dies. If there were any plot twists related to him, you'd think Obsidian would put them in the game where he's a dominant villain, as KotOR III will likely introduce new ones.

(<^.^)>

Hey, Devon, lightin up.

Every post you make seems like its just...negative.

Lots of people like Nihilus, and they don't seem to have gotten enough of him the first time around. So if they want more Nihilus then let them disscuss it.

The guy that post this idea has a nice point, and I for one would like some of the OLD KOTOR cast to actually re-appear. Nihliuses character was so vauge that IF they wanted to they could bring Nihlius back. Despite how he died ;)

If you don't like Nihlius, then say you do, and leave the people that like him alone. We don't care HOW MUCH you don't like or don't want to see Nihilus.

:smash:

Edit: I took shut up out ;) you guys got a pretty strict rule on what words people can't use here. I apprently used the wrong words to approach this type of thing. I never intended to TELL Devon to shut up. Devon, man, if I had really wanted to flame you i wouldn't have done so by starting my post as "Hey, Devon man, Lightin up." It would have been a bit more offensive ;) EX: Hey @(##*$, *!#@($ you and your (!@($#*#( idea, no one cares.

It would have been somthing more like that...

I'm sorry if I offended you, it wasn't intentional, I was just trying to let you know that your tone on the forums is very...nergative man. You really should need to lightin up a bit...

Sry for the fuss folks, lets get back on topic :D

Master Urza, mod edits stay in the post as this is an official warning, you have tried to remove it twice, it stays. I realise you are trying to make good, but the warning has to stay.

Telling people to "shut up" is an inflammitory statement and will not be tolerated, the same as calling other posters "dumb". Please read our Forum Rules before posting again. Consider yourself warned.

If you wish to discuss this further feel free to PM me or another mod about it. -RH Na > . < I did both edits around the same point in time man, not like was disobeying, I just thought that if I apologized I could remove it. No big if I can't. Besides, It taught me how to change the color of my sig :p

Hey, Devon, lightin up.

Every post you make seems like its just...negative.

then say you do, and shut up.

We don't care HOW MUCH you don't like or don't want to see Nihilus.

I would recommend that you follow your own advice... After telling me to shut up, calling another forum member dumb, and rudely stating what you think of my views on Nihilus, if anyone needs to be less negative, it would be you.

If my posts in this thread strike you as negative, then you have misinterpreted them. It was not my intent. My views on KotOR differ from many of those in this thread, obviously. I was merely voicing my opinion. Whether I agreed or disagreed with the other people here does not make it any more or less negative.

Nowhere did I say I disliked Nihilus, either. I said he had no personality, but I never said I disliked him. And neither did I say I did not want the old KotOR cast to reappear.

then say you do, and shut up.

From what I've seen of you at these forums so far, you are not able to respond to opinions that differ from your own in a non-insulting manner. I see no further reason to continue this discussion with you. And as you've made another post that qualifies as flaming, I will for the second time in a single day, send a report to the moderators about your rudeness. :)

I have edited a warning into his above post ED. -RH

I'm sorry if I offended you, it wasn't intentional,

No offense taken. Apology accepted. :)

I was just trying to let you know that your tone on the forums is very...nergative man. You really should need to lightin up a bit...

My tone and posts in this topic are actually not very unique. People like to debate around here. There's another (just as heated) dispute going on now about how good a villain Malak was, which I believe you noticed. :lol: It's not very uncommon for people to challenge each other's views. Debates happen all the time, especially in the Unknown Regions. :)

No offense taken. Apology accepted. :)

My tone and posts in this topic are actually not very unique. People like to debate around here. There's another (just as heated) dispute going on now about how good a villain Malak was, which I believe you noticed. :lol: It's not very uncommon for people to challenge each other's views. Debates happen all the time, especially in the Unknown Regions. :)

My intention was not to start a debate, and I'm sorry this has erupted into this. I started this to see if others felt the same need to see some more Nihilus in a future game, not if it was possible for him to return or not, just to see if people liked the potential character Nihilus could be if he were somehow returned to some sort of life. You've apparently misunderstood my intention. If you would like, I will start another thread which would more suit what you are communicating. I will call it "Nihilus; can he reincarnate or can't he, and why", just let me know, and I'll do it ASAP.

I also want to apologize to everyone for the degradation in the atmosphere of this thread, it's gotten a little bit ugly, but please overlook the ugliness, and please just ignore any redundant negativity. If you don't respond to it, it will cease, lets just have a friendly sharing of ideas about how Nihilus might return either more evil, stronger, darker than before, or if you think somehow he might find the light. To clarify, this thread and it's author, me :o), assume he will come back in a future episode. Thanks everyone for the likeminded support.

NOW, I think it would be a very cool tie-in to K1 if it is discovered that Nihilus had some hand in Revan's and Malak's turn to darkness. We still don't know what lies out there, or what precipitated their re-alignment in the first place other than the discovery of the star forge. We can't be sure thats what did it though, it's never stated that the star forge is what did it. Perhaps the player character in a future chapter of the game could be Revan as he/she attempts to search out the uncharted regions, retracing his/her steps to find answers to to some deep inner questions about his or her journey into the darkness. Perhaps Revan begins to have nightmarish visions of death, destruction, and darkness, and at some point his visions focus on Nihilus, bringing more questions than answers. Revan would assume or have heard of Nihilus' "death", but what if at some point Nihilus' continued presence addresses Revan directly in a vision, trying to grasp at that dark little sliver that Revan still carries deep inside. A dark sided player could see the same visions early on, but as their character darkens, Nihilus' apparition could seek Revan out, maybe demanding some kind of servitude for turning him on to the lusts of the dark side in the first place (prior to K1)

At some point I would like Nihilus through some means to reincarnate into the physical world just as he was with that wicked voice, black emptiness for eyes, and that odd androgenous mask. I would like to have to battle him like five or six times, barely escaping each time a different way, either for dark supremecy, or for the ultimate good of the galaxy, until finally it's either do or die in the final battle against Nihilus. How about this: KOTOR III(or IV or whatever), REVANS NEMESIS, what do you think?

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't like resurrection, especially of Nihilus... That would just seem a bit lame. I did want a bit more of Nihilus, though. He was supposed be dark and mysterious and I believe his screen-time suited him. He was, unfortunately, too weak. I would like it if he is treated as a truly fearsome Sith, an abomination of doom, not a dumb video game boss who dies all too easily...

^^

Well, I still think that his unrevealed mysterious background and equally strange demise could be fully intended for a major revelation in the next game. Not really resurrection so much as reincarnation in a way.

But yeah, he goes down all too easily in TSL... really a shame... :(

When I kill Nihilus some red lightning takes him and he dissepeard instead being a corpse so it might be a chance that he would come back as a ghost who is looking for fresh body my opinion.

Well, in the latest issue of the Star Wars Legacy comic book series Nihilus made a cameo as a Force Ghost and Darth Krayt (who summoned him along with two more Sith Force Ghosts) mentioned that Nihilus cheated death by preserving his consciousness within his armor. If this is accepted as an official element of his story, he could return in K3.

Well, in the latest issue of the Star Wars Legacy comic book series Nihilus made a cameo as a Force Ghost and Darth Krayt (who summoned him along with two more Sith Force Ghosts) mentioned that Nihilus cheated death by preserving his consciousness within his armor. If this is accepted as an official element of his story, he could return in K3.

Well, I for one, certainly hope NOT!!!

He was the lamest sith lord in the history of the galaxy.

Whomever dreamt up this moron should have his heart cut out with a spoon.

His ridiculous story of feeding on force sensitives and destroying worlds but then being cut down so anti-climactically, really took something away from the original KoTOR plot. I got as much fun out of it as I could nonetheless.

K3, if made, will have to rise to another level. There will have to be improvements and a few modifications to the gameplay. The story will have to be deeper and more flexible and the Boss' will have to provide a challenge for higher ratings and extended playability.

But, for the love of the force, no Nihilus.

True.

However, didn't his armour blow up with the rest of his ship in K2?

Well, I for one, certainly hope NOT!!!

He was the lamest sith lord in the history of the galaxy.

Whomever dreamt up this moron should have his heart cut out with a spoon.

His ridiculous story of feeding on force sensitives and destroying worlds but then being cut down so anti-climactically, really took something away from the original KoTOR plot. I got as much fun out of it as I could nonetheless.

K3, if made, will have to rise to another level. There will have to be improvements and a few modifications to the gameplay. The story will have to be deeper and more flexible and the Boss' will have to provide a challenge for higher ratings and extended playability.

But, for the love of the force, no Nihilus.

Agreed.

However, didn't his armour blow up with the rest of his ship in K2?

He vanished in a cloud of red smoke and lightning (I don't know if this qualifies as being blown up with the rest of the ship), but his mask could have potentially remained intact (if you choose to order Visas to bring it to you).

Archived