Home

paazak

darthyorktown

Pazaak is admittedly a pain. Generally don't play it unless the stakes are high enough, like say playing Pato Ado@750/hand or for the armor. Otherwise I skip it. Guess it would be easier to just give yourself the credits. Though maybe someone could come up with a cheat where you force your opponents to lose (not asking anyone to, btw).

Pazaak is more fair in K2, since you takes turns at beginning, whereas the player is always forced to go first in K1, which means you're always on the defensive, since you always have to struggle with whether you can take the risk of another card, while the computer can wait and see whether it works for you or not. I guess they realised that gave the computer an unfair advantage in time for K2...

That said, Pazaak really isn't that difficult. I refuse to lose, but use of the quickload and quicksave can remove the danger of happening, since all opponents will happily let you leave the game after a win and resume where you left off when you next talk to them.

Basically it all comes down to having a lower total than the opponent, so that he takes the greater risk of going above 20. Having -5 or -6 or better yet +/-5 and +/-6 cards can greatly aid in this cause, as can the 3/6 or 2/4 cards, since they can truly lower your total to nothing. Also, if you can fill all the slots (nine, right?) without going over 20, then you win the game, no matter what the other person has. And you should never stand at 14 or 15, because even if taking another card puts you over 20, you can be virtually certain that the opponent will get somewhere between 17 and 20 every time, meaning you lose nothing from taking the risk.

I usually stand early on the first hand, though, because the opponent almost always wins that one anyway. It's also good if you can get the other person to use as much of his sidedeck as early as possible. If you can stand at 18 or 19 without using a card from the sidedeck, while the opponent needs to use one of his to win the hand, then it's sometimes worth it, if it happens early in the game, because it limits the opponent's strategic options later.

Don't forget that you can afford to let him win two hands as long as you win three, and at times doing so is essential.

Don't always try to save a bad hand with cards from your sidedeck. If your hand is terrible and the opponents is good, then take the chance and pick more cards - you can afford to, since you've basically lost the hand anyway. And if you get lucky and get 18 or 19 total, then stand, and the opponent will likely have to sacrifice a card from the sidedeck to win the hand.

I don't see pazzak as "hard", but I also don't see it as "fun". Whenever the option is given for somebody else to play in my place (i.e. Atton in K2), or a way to *persuade* my way around it (The Rat thing in K2), I would much rather do that than play.

On the other hand, I find winning it quite easy. Of course it's all just IMO.

After buying all the +/- cards I can find, I win about 60% of my pazaak games. I also don't use the quicksave/quickload to cheat; I accept whatever losses the game inflicts on me. :)

It's too bad that in K2 there is only one player - the one on Telos - who will play with you an limitless number of times (by exploiting a dialog bug), and that the max wager is just 40 creds. She is potentially a limitless bucket of credits, but it'll take you an infuriatingly long time to earn enough to buy that phat lightsaber crystal you saw in a store.

I only stand at 19. Unless my opponent has played all his cards, he always seems to beat me when I stand at 18 or less.

On a slight tangent, I think the pazaak game is not fairly designed. You have to buy expensive +/- to have a good chance of winning. In a real word card game, both opponents would randomly draw from a complete deck; neither is at a disadvantage.

I really don't like playing pazaak in any of the Kotor's because I only win about 5% of the time and that is just out of luck obviously, in K2 the swoop racing is very stupid and pathetic, but in K1 it is awesome, the controls for the swoop are awesome and easy to handle.(well the swift and stuff for it)

Well anyways pazaak isn't even worth my time and credits.

Archived