Home

LucasForums advertising policy

Char Ell

I was surprised to see in a sidebar ad today that Mate1 Intimate Dating showed me girls that were available in the area I live in.

I don't recall if I provided LF with my zip code when I registered but I couldn't find any location info other than the location field in my LF profile and all I've got in there is U.S.A.

Does LF share any member info with its advertisers, specifically Mate1? I've never been to Mate1's website or provided them with any info so I'm trying to figure out how that website would know what area of the U.S. I lived in.

Yeah, It has nothing to do with Lucasforums directly. I've seen those ads on other websites as well. It's just because of your IP address.

Lucasforums doesn't collect any information about where you live besides whatever you put for your location, and perhaps you could also include your IP address.

Yeah, all IPs can be traced down to a rough location (NOT your home address), so all an advertiser has to do is have a database which compares IP blocks to locations and display the appropriate one for each. Quite a lot of advertisers are using them now to try and target them somewhat.

Maybe we'll have those ads like in sci-fi films that know your name before long. ;)

Hmmm... Do you think they can narrow it down to city and state in the U.S.A. when my ISP is a rather large broadband provider in Arizona? I wouldn't have taken notice if it was simply something for my state but when the ad actually referred to my city that got my attention.

I'm thinking it may have been a tracking cookie. Gotta remember to run the anti-spyware more often. :nod:

Yeah cutmeiser, they definitely can. Most ISPs have IPs that are city specific. In fact, my ISP which covers the whole of England indicates my town in the hostmask, which is just a small place near Nottingham.

There's no tracking cookies involved as all it's doing is looking at your IP and comparing it to a database of which IPs match which towns. Someone could feasibly put an image of the sort in their signature and it'd work just the same.

That's just the way IP works. It's like going to the supermarket. They could have someone to follow you home, spy out your fridge so they can send you 'got milk?' ads because it's out. :]

I thought I saw you outside Tesco's!

Yeah, I get plenty of those ads specific to my area, it's all to do with IP (although I've never seen them here on LF...)

Archived