Home

WARNING: Internet Explorer 7 is coming!

Char Ell

I received an e-mail from Microsoft today that stated the following:

Microsoft will release the final version of Internet Explorer 7 (English) in October 2006. Internet Explorer 7 (IE7 ) provides significant enhancements in security, platform management, and usability. Microsoft recommends that all genuine Windows customers install this upgrade.

Shortly after it is released, Microsoft will distribute IE7 as a high-priority update through Automatic Updates to help consumers become more secure and up-to-date. However, to ensure that customers are prepared to upgrade, IE7 will not install without user consent. Microsoft recognizes that, as part of a managed deployment plan, some organizations may wish to block users from receiving IE7 through Automatic Updates and is providing an IE7 Blocker Toolkit.

I checked my calendar and here in my part of the world there are only 13 days left in October :p so if the e-mail is true then I'll be getting this from MS fairly soon.

Anybody planning to accept this upgrade as soon as it's offered or will you wait until later? I haven't decided yet.

I'll give it a miss. I've run various build of Vista over the months so have had plenty of exposure to the evolving IE7.... cant say Im knocked off the floor with it. There are extensions in firefox that make browsing a much better experience, like videodownloader/unplug for downloading youtube etc vids, adblock and filterset g, etc etc...

I'll leave IE7 for the people that have never tried FF either because they are too scared of change or simply havent heard of it ;) 100% of the dozens of people Ive shown it to love it...and most of these people are quite non-tech. Its ease of use and handy extras win the day.

mtfbwya

There are extensions in firefox that make browsing a much better experience, like videodownloader/unplug for downloading youtube etc vids

What? An extension for downloading videos from Youtube? Did I understand that correctly?

What? An extension for downloading videos from Youtube? Did I understand that correctly?

The VideoDownloader extension can be used to easily save video clips from YouTube and similar sites to your harddrive. (In the case of YouTube you'll need an FLV Player application as well to view them.)

As for IE7 I'll be in no hurry to download it sooner than necessary since I only use IE for Windows Update visits, and there always tend to be loads of bugs in products that are recently released to the public. I've read it has messed up the system for a few people who tried to install it as well. If that's due to a bug or just them doing something wrong will have to remain unsaid though. :)

Sweet! Thanks much stoffe. :)

I use videodownloader with the unplug extension - makes it a bit quicker IMO.

I use Riva FLV player/encoder to play/convert the .flv youtube vids... in fact I might post up links and a mini tute later, as its a question many often ask :)

mtfbwya

In Windows Vista, IE7 will be able to run in Protected Mode which should be a nice change of pace regarding IE's past reputation with security. (I believe this is an integration of MS' Drop My Rights which you can use for any application -- a nice tool but one that is easy to forget to use.)

Though I haven't it personally, I hear there is not much to get a FF user to switch. Of course it's a huge step from IE6 to IE7 so if that's your browser of choice, you should be quite pleased. One other aspect I heard about was a QuickTabs feature that lets you see thumbnails of all the tabs you have open. Eh better than nothing new. :)

Edit: Oops maybe I spoke too highly of MS+security... I see a security hole has already been found in IE7. :rolleyes:

Sweet! Thanks much stoffe. :)

There's another extension, Unplug, which allows download from VideoDownloader and many other YouTube-like video sites, like Metacafe and all. I say you go for that one.

I tried IE7, and while it is snazzy, it is a cheap imitation of FF. The tabs are oversized, the menu bar is missing (and when summoned, it sits in the oddest of positions). Overall, it is can only be useful if, for some reason you hate Firefox.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd have to agree, FireFox is downright the best browser EVER. The tabbed browsing is nice, it runs on all OS'es (I use Linux and Windows versions) and the plugins work on all OS'es. The bad thing about IE is that it is essentially a part of Windows, making it a gateway for viruses to attack your system, while Firefox is just another program, running outside of the main Windows folders. Also, IE7's installer is terrible because it installed and finished and then said it had an error and I never got to use IE7 because its installer is messed up.

Archived