Home

Darth Revan's other apprentices?

stoffe

I just fired up a game of KotOR1 for the first time in a long while to test something, and spotted something in the opening StarWars crawler text I hadn't thought of before.

The crawler says "DARTH MALAK, last surviving apprentice of the Dark Lord Revan, has unleashed...".

This would seem to indicate that Darth Revan had more than one apprentice, but as far as I can remember those other apprentices were never mentioned anywhere else at all. Do anyone with a better attention to detail remember if this is commented on somewhere? What happened to them; killed by Malak during his coup d'état, or killed earlier during the war? :)

The closest thing I could find was this from Vandar's dialog:

I knew Revan as a promising young pupil. Revan was strong in the Force, but also headstrong and proud. Such traits are not unusual in a Padawan. Perhaps that was why I did not see the true extent of the danger.

Many of the young Jedi admired Revan, including Malak. When Revan set off to challenge the Mandalorians, Malak was the first to join the cause.

But then he follows up saying:

And when Revan fell to the dark side it was inevitable Malak would fall as well.

"So Revan was stronger than Malak?"

Revan was always the leader, the more powerful of the pair. When Revan fell we had hoped the Sith threat was ended. But Malak quickly assumed Revan's role, and has embraced the dark side power as fully as his old master ever did.

So it sounds to me as if there were never any other Sith apprentices before Malak. It is possible but very unlikely that Revan may have had a Jedi Padawan follow him to fight in the Mandalorian Wars. But that's just speculation.

The crawler says "DARTH MALAK, last surviving apprentice of the Dark Lord Revan, has unleashed...".
That can mean singular and plural. Just like you can one Jedi, 100 Jedi. It never did say, "one of the last surviving apprentices." I just think it could mean one apprentice or 100 apprentices. But in this case I would think it was just one apprentice. ;)

That can mean singular and plural. Just like you can one Jedi, 100 Jedi. It never did say, "one of the last surviving apprentices." I just think it could mean one apprentice or 100 apprentices. But in this case I would think it was just one apprentice. ;)

Then why the need to point out the distinction last surviving? :) If there was ever only one (and thus Malak was the first, last and only apprentice), and he's obviously still alive, then why not just say "DARTH MALAK, the apprentice of the Dark Lord Revan"? :)

The "surviving" part indicates to me that someone among the "apprentice" group is no longer alive, and the "last" part that there were once more than one, and thus Malak is the last surviving apprentice.

As far as I know there was no rule during the KotOR era that a Sith Master could only have one apprentice either.

But, since English isn't my native language you are probably correct and I misinterpreted it, but the choice of words struck me as a bit odd if Malak was the only apprentice Revan ever had. :)

i did a very very large serch all over the internet and i did find something quite insteresting under reven apprentices.

it shown that reven had two apprences but it did not give a name .

but after reading a little bit more it did mention alot about kriea haveing some contact with reven then it showed a piture of reven with malack and the exile .

so im sort if thinking exile might have been his apprentices

before she got exiled

A few years ago, that bothered me. It's my been my theory that Revan trained more apprentices than Malak for a couple reasons. Not only would it be useful to have Sith trained by him, but they would also compete against each other and force Malak to focus on his rivals instead of his master. I figured that eventually he killed them all off somehow.

It's not unheard of among Sith. Sidious and Vader had at least ten total pupils themselves, and I know there's more.

That and it sounds cooler than "DARTH MALAK has unleashed an..." :)

I'm sort of thinking the Exile might have been one of his apprentices before she got exiled.

Very unlikely, in my opinion. The Exile lost her force connection and split from Revan's fleet while they were still under Republic flag, just before the fleet disappeared into the unknown regions to find the Star Forge (after which they returned under Sith flag).

Granted, Revan had already turned to the Dark Side by then even if she was not openly embracing the Sith teachings yet. But since the Exile was put in charge of the Malachor bait fleet, which was assembled from those Revan considered unreliable (i.e. more loyal to the Republic than Revan personally) that she needed to get out of the way I doubt the Exile was one of her apprentices, or even was aware of Revan's fall at the time.

Hm... that bit of information might just be a bit flawed. Or not from the "all-knowing narrator's" point of view.

Just remember, Vandar did not tell the truth as well. He said something like Malak was furious that Revan was killed by the Jedi and wants to avenge his former master.. we know that this is not true.

Revan might not have trained apprentices at all. Malak is not the common force sensitive, he is highly gifted and one of the strongest of his time. It just so happens that Revan is even more powerful, therefore when both of them fell to the Darkside, Revan was the master, Malak was the apprentice.

Under apprentice, I imagine someone with a "Darth" before his/her name. Not a common Sith. And I doubt that there was another "Darth" apprentice..

All his dark jedi could be considered apprentices.
Not really. Apprenticeship implies a direct relationship between a teacher and a student. Revan did more or less teach all the Sith, but not directly; not in the practicalities of combat, or the force. And if the opening crawl did refer to all the Sith, then Malak would be the only Sith left, and we know that's not true obviously.

Many Jedi fell to follow Revan into the Mandalorian Wars and beyond, right? Well he probably trained all of them to a certain extent, and they probably died before or soon after Revan returned as a Lord of the Sith, so his only real apprentice was Darth Malak, while he had had several fallen Jedi follow him.

Under apprentice, I imagine someone with a "Darth" before his/her name. Not a common Sith. And I doubt that there was another "Darth" apprentice..

Yes, Darth is a title of Lordship, and only Revan and his apprentices would have the title.

Then why the need to point out the distinction last surviving? :) If there was ever only one (and thus Malak was the first, last and only apprentice), and he's obviously still alive, then why not just say "DARTH MALAK, the apprentice of the Dark Lord Revan"? :)
I look at that Revan was "killed" when the Jedi attacked and Malak survived the attack. That's the impression I got when I first started playing the game and was first getting to know the storyline until I learned more about it and that it was Malak's betrayal instead.

I look at that Revan was "killed" when the Jedi attacked and Malak survived the attack. That's the impression I got when I first started playing the game and was first getting to know the storyline until I learned more about it and that it was Malak's betrayal instead.

I had the same first impression as Shem. I was under the illusion when I first started KOTOR that there could only be two Sith and the Master Revan was now dead leaving Malak as the last surviving Sith Lord.

Now, I can see that it could also mean there was more than one apprentice.

We know Malak was once the apprentice of Revan, and we also know he only became lord of the sith when he fired on Revan's ship. Both are proved in KOTOR I, I forget where the part about Malak becoming Dark Lord of the Sith, but they said he assumed the mantle, anyways something like that. But HK-47 tells you after he finds out your his first master and that you created him, that the term "meatbag" comes from Malak. Revan was very amused when HK-47 saw Malak as a meat bag, so he programmed HK to say meatbag instead of human, but during this conversation he says you and your apprentice Malak built me.

If you want an idea for apprentices to Revan, have a look at the Jedi who appear with Malek on Korriban (TSL). I know Nitsotsa was one, and Bastila (to try and con the Exile), not sure of the rest.

As for whether Revan had apprentices as a Sith, it's rumoured the Jedi who joined Malek in that vision followed Revan to the Dark Side, so any one of them would be a solid first bet.

Archived