Home

The One Year Thread 2007: XWA's Celibatic Boogaloo

Rogue Nine

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already use my PC as an overpriced practice amp anyway... My sound card's got a 1/4" line-in and I snagged Guitar Rig, so I'm good to go. Might get a DI box for my bass though... I've been meaning to get one anyway.

OK, people, here is my first attempt at somewhat serious home recording. This was actually the first piece of music I ever wrote, about 10 years ago. I called it "Websong." This is rather ironic since it has never been on the Web, nor is it a song. It was origianlly going to be for something on the Web, but I guess I never got around to that. As I recall, I was thinking of the theme to Flash Gordon when I wrote it. Anyway, I've been playing with it again, and this is what I've got now. All the sounds and effects came from my Yamaha S-90 ES synthesizer. Back then I just had to put up with whatever samples my soundcard had on it for MIDI, but this time I was able to do a little bit better than that. I tried to get an ARP Odyssey sound going there on the lead synth, and I think it sounds pretty close to the real thing. That's maybe my favorite classic synth (I know, I know, heresy against the Minimoog, whatever).

Anyway, here it is:

Websong

Pretty cool, Keyan. It actually reminds me of something by Genesis, either from the Duke or Abacab albums. Kinda like "Turn it on again."

Happy b-day... I just nailed 24 a week ago today and suddenly felt old. I have a portfolio, drive an old man car (Chevy Impala), own a house, have back problems, and I work for a bank. It's weird to be helping the miss plan the wedding and be glad to be working on something youthful.

Happy B-day SpIKE

Received an interesting E-mail today that has started to make my mind wander.

It seems a girl I have been coveting/yearning for and really hasn't given me the time of day, remembered me and gave my name to someone else for added responsibilities. She seems to have always had boyfriends, and has had problems with BF curlers... which is how we know each other... from the Madison Curling club

She's cute, smart, athletic, a bit short for me (4'10" to my 6'1")

SO, I have made some sort of positive impression. Too bad like always they seem to always have boyfriends.

"How was work today, ed?" I hear you ask... Well, lemme tells ya...

I sat down at the mixing desk just after 4. And except for a couple of (very) brief bathroom trips, I didn't stand up again until the show ended, sometime just North of 11:30.

10 (mostly) loud bands full of high-school age kids. Oh yeah... that good.

Oh... and an unexpected 1/2 hour interlude in the middle of that for a special artist to come and play, who had nothing to do with the rest of the show.

As soon as it ended I had to shut down and clear out ASAP for fear of missing the last subway train out of the city. That's always pleasant...

Random Thought:

On the train on the way home tonight there was a fairly cute and very buxom blonde holding a carton about the size and shape of a large dictionary to her chest.

On the side of the package I read the words: "Personal Box Fan."

Oh... the very horribly crude places my mind really wanted to go. And went...

EDIT:

Oh yeah... missed Ike's birthday.

I suck. Sorry.

Hope it was a good one!

shoot. missed it. happy b-day ike.

my 22nd is coming up :D

I've been trying out the new Steam Community Beta...it's a beta so it's not perfect...I get a BSOD upon exiting Red Orchestra in Vista...

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

BSOD'S IN VISTA!?!!!!

there is a god.

hi there crackle :D

That reminds me... I can't see fat chicks anymore without thinking of the "300 pound prostitute".

:joy:

Hmmmm... yeah, that's understandable.

Also: The words: "Birthday Party" have been ruined for me forever, thanks to that jam session. :dozey:

Okay... a few more ditties:

Solo piano composition

This is a very early attempt to write something classical-sounding-ish... Not sure how well I succeeded. I don't remember the final grade being all that good...

This is another piece that suffered interminable rewrites... and by the sounds of it, this is a beginning version.

Also a sequence played back on a cheap synth, since I don't play piano... and I was way too embarrassed to ever ask a real pianist to play something like this.

Possibly recognizable Journey song...

edlib sitting in on a friend's show a few years back, playing rhythm guitar. Not sure how happy she'd be to know this was up on the web for public consumption...

I take the first solo.

This was recorded with a single mono mic way at the back of the room, so the audio quality is what it is. Hopefully it manages to get the point across...

got my pay today....paid off a bill...checked the mail and had the incoming tax per capita bill....here we go again....i didn't pay the last one, never had enough $$$ for it so i think i ended up tossing it in the trash. $90 is alot of $$$$$....guess i better pay this one, at least this time my sister also got one as well, though hers isn't as much as mine and she makes more. :rolleyes: sexist bastards.

picked up 2 shirts for work this morning after i got my check. hopefully they comply with dress code, if not i'll be pissed, cause these are so much more comfortable than the other shirts i bought.

Got my parents paid off for the truck, got my sister paid off for the electric bills, and soon i will have the truck's brakes fixed as well as new tires for it. I'm not sure which i should get first. if i go with tires now, my mechanic friend could probably tell me what's wrong with the brake or show me where it's leaking and what i need fixed on it.

i just don't wanna spend $250+ like i did on the acclaim and 2 weeks later have it break down on me. (still haven't sold that acclaim yet....maybe i drop price from $500 to $200 next week...)

My sister was reluctant to tell me that the post office box payment was due...so i went to open the box and found the thing right after i mailed my cable bill, so i was like 'WTF!' but had enough cash to pay it. :D

So far it's been an exciting day. hopefully the photo lab isn't a wreck when i go in....i get so sick of explaining why the printer is down...

if my truck passes inspection in october i'm gonna get my alpine cd player installed...I'm so sick of radio static!!!!

Work was chill today. Finally!!!!

Highlights:

Giving my boss a rash of **** over his new Myspace page.

College-sponsored bar-b-q. Mmmmm... free meat.

Loading my poor unsuspecting work PC with my entire Zappa collection. I foresee many happy hours annoying the living crap out of my co-workers with this. :)

It was the perfect day out there today. I should have gone for a really long walk.

Unfortunately, I still don't feel really up to something like that, (healthwise that is,) yet.

Taking tomorrow off, and the concert we had on Saturday was cancelled. 3 day weekend.

I should have some some time to get myself back into fighting trim, so to speak.

Plus: I'm almost out of clean clothes, again. Hooray! Laundry time!

Aw, crap.

Archived