Home

The One Year Thread 2007: XWA's Celibatic Boogaloo

Rogue Nine

Title inspired by the blue-balled ramblings of our lovely populace in last year's thread. ;o

Anyway, I'm neither witty nor fully functional at the moment, so let's just say Happy New Year and here's to another year of XWA chicanery.

I dun say it enough, but I love you guys. :>

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy New Year, all. In response to a post by Ike in the last thread:

I'll tell you why. it's a frikkin american car, that's why! it's a bloody ford, and fords are crap. why on earth would you willingly subject yourself to yet another american car? get a honda, or better yet, a toyota.

Ha! That car was very, very old and had tons of miles on it, and I never had a problem with it. But the air conditioning finally went, and I was about to need a new tire, and the alignment was getting a little screwy. It could have been fixed, and I'm sure it would have lasted a while, but I would have needed a new car eventually anyway. So as long as I had a week off, why not just get it over with?

My family has had Fords since I was a little kid, and they have never been anything but outstanding. Plus, I have had excellent experience with this particular dealer - their service is second to none.

I will have you know that the Fusion was ranked number one in the JD Power APEAL study in 2006 and, Consumer Reports rated it higher than both the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord.

No sir, it will be a cold day before I cruise around in a Japanese POS.

New year. New thread. Same old Ed. :dozey:

Well, the hope is this year things will be at least a little different. Have a bit of a social life. Perhaps even (dare I even speak it aloud?) test the waters re: romance.

I guess if I were to put my name on a "New Year's Resolution" that would be it...

Well, maybe not. Since we all know you are bound to break each and every resolution you can imagine of, and almost always immediately... my one true resolution, (the one I tell everybody who asks me about mine anyways) is to this year, finally, premeditatedly take the life of a complete stranger in cold blood.

Well,.. that way when I inevitably break that resolution, it will be a positive thing... right? RIGHT???!?

Well... time for bed. I'll recap the night's work experiences in the morning.

I'll leave you with this brief taste though, to spark your interests...

Clarinet babe:

shirley_concert.jpgshirley_bio.jpg

Yeah... Oh, and she can really play the hell out of that thing too... scary.

lmao......time to kill peop...er...squirrels.

I downloaded World of Warcraft, now in order to play it, I'll have to uninstall Galaxies...something I don't really want to do. -_- I'll wait another 2 weeks and if i log on and none of my guildies are on, screw it. Sick of going solo vs the entire rebel alliance, it's ****ing lame.

edit:

went ahead and uninstalled galaxies, installed World of Warcraft...taking a bit to get used to, as i don't care for having to hold a mouse button down in order to turn....

It does have it moments... :D But don't envy me... I still haven't figured out how to use the good parts of it to my advantage yet. When I officially manage to figure that out, let the vicarious living of your fantasies through me begin!

:joy:

OK... to start this thing off right and proper (knowing full well that it will just inevitably degenerate into random free association rambling in a day or 2... if it takes even that long...)

1/1/2007

Started work at 3pm yesterday. We spent a couple of hours setting everything up for the 2 bands that would be playing. The first band (the bigger of the 2... kind of a blues/R&B/gospel band) was supposed to be loaded in and sound-checking by 5:15.

By 5:45 no band, no word, no info. Cool.

The other band showed up around that time (a classical duet, that included a piano player, as well as the cute-as-a-button aforementioned clarinet slinger) so we set them up and moved the other stuff out of the way.

They didn't want to use any mics, other than an announce mic to introduce songs, so it made that part of my night pretty simple.

The other band showed up after this band started rehearsing and warming up.

We scrambled to get them loaded-in, set up, and a really quick-and-dirty sound-check before the folks up front really started to get on our case about opening doors.

Managed to get through it all alright.

The Duo (They called themselves The Brillaner Duo... since her name is Shirley Brill and the piano player is Jonathan Aner...) were really good, for that sort of thing. Both truly excellent players... although I probably wouldn't seek out that type of music of my own volition under normal circumstances.

The other band were OK... nice vocal harmonies,.. and the guitar player seemed to be channeling Curtis Mayfield at a couple of points... which is never a bad thing.

I was on my way home before 11. Got home in time to watch the ball drop and all the Times Square stupidity, before I posted here and went to bed.

Woke up coughing and wheezing again today. I guess I didn't blow that thing completely out of my system before heading back to work after all.

Gonna take it easy today and try to get better before having to report back in tomorrow.

Yay! Back to work! Oh happiness!

:rolleyes:

Am I the only one here that isn't blue-balled? ;)

Last night was fun... I got together with my old band for a NYE celebration house party. Man, we blew the doors off the neighborhood. Got nice and wrecked in the process... I somehow managed to schlep all my gear back into my van at the end of the night, despite a Colt 45 (for nostalgia's sake), four irish car bombs, and several assorted beers and coolers. For the record, however, my ladyfriend (who doesn't drink) did the driving.

2006 was pretty much both the best and worst year of my life... I lost a few people I was really close to this year, and February and March were collectively a giant bag of suck, but by August things had really started to turn around, and with the exception of school, things couldn't be better.

My dad's Camry is really nice. I drove it quite a bit last time I was visiting.

And my mom had a Corolla that kept on ticking through 400-thousand miles and beyond. Unstoppable vehicle.

But, I am still a sucker for zee Churmann Engineering, ja.

Keyan, maybe your Fords have been stellar, but you haven't compared them to the wonders that are Toyotas. POS's they are not.

they are when hit by a 89 buick...at least the matrix. i owned that woman driver's rear passenger door. just OWNED IT. but that was 2005...

as for today this is what i did..

woke up, it was raining so i was angry....

installed World of Warcraft, played it for a while...looked all over for my checkbook so i could make out a check for the rent, after searching for an hour i found it right above my head.

went to work, it was slow, yet we had a few customers...someone put a small cd in the cd drive and got it stuck...we had to call kodak tech to find out how to take the cd drive out, my coworker gave me the phone cause she couldnt understand him, i pretended i did and we figured it out. :p

came home for lunch to play some Warcraft, trying to see how much i can level in 10 days.

Tomorrow I may go hunting, going to bring my DS and FF3 with in case i get bored...

R15: WoW huh? Watch out, the expansion is coming in a few weeks!

Work was kinda rough. I'm still not 100%, but I managed to stumble through most of the overnight. The lights aren't loud, nor are the sounds bright anymore, so that is a definate plus.

I had a Ford Tempo, ciirca 1992. Beat the ever living crap out of it, and it went until 2004.

12 years, not bad!

ike: longevity of an automobile's running life is a large portion contributed to owner maintenance and care. my old cavalier ran like a top and even looked nice well beyond 100k, my pontiac minivan was great when I got rid of it at 170K, still see it driving around town as a taxi now.

my nissan 200sx was a piece of CRAP, always broke in some way or another, and rusty.

my saturn was great minus some owner induced mechanical failures :D

my new year started off OK I guess, I spent xmas till now sick, relaly sick last week, now its just sore throat lots of coughing and drainage.....

spent NYE with the girl at a hotel, just us, so no blue balls here :D

but now shes back to living 2 hours away for a week, then she moves an hour away, but I wont see for a week after that, distance is so annoying in relationships!

other than that things are alright I guess

Nissans are crap for the most part. maybe they have gotten better, but in the realm of japanese cars, nissan is crap.

I have driven toyotas that were well over 10 years old and i have a 21 year old MR2 in my driveway. Granted, it hasn't been well maintained, but the engine still kicks ass and it is fun as hell to drive. I had an old toyota minivan that probably was at least 15 years old. the a/c didn't work anymore and we never really maintained it to speak of, but the engine lasted over 200K quite well.

Toyotas may not always have the biggest engines or most horsepower/torque, but i akin them to a slow burn that lasts for a helluva long time. Even if the rest of the car starts falling apart around it, the engine will keep on ticking (and the rest of the car is usually better put together with better materials than your typical american car). American cars may generally have more horsepower and stuff like that, but they are more like a flash burn that goes bright and hot for a bit but when it burns out, it effing snuffs it.

had a fairly good day off...

woke up at around 9:30, my stupid alarm kept buzzing and i kept hitting snooze til it stopped...the power went out for a second, not unusual. So i thought it was like 12:30 when I woke up. Anyway I went out to penn state gamelands 159 took my .22 and nintendo ds, hiked to the stone hedges, and followed it, something i didn't do in fall when i was out bow hunting, I found this huge rock (forgot to bring my camera darn it) and decided to sit down and play some Final Fantasy III, as I was playing, I heard movement, then I moved, then a red squirrel started doing its 'omg!!11' thing, and froze at a tree, and i put 1 shot through its neck. After I saved my progress, I took the dead squirrel and put it on the rock, and decided to go check further up the trail, which actually led me about 300-500 meters from the way i used to climb through brush and briar and evil wicked thorns to get on top of the huge rock wall formation thing. anyway, i continued on the trail, didn't see anything, then i headed back, recovered the squirrel and went home.

After I got home, I played a little bit of WoW, quick went outside to cut the tail off the squirrel and feed the crows the rest of it (next time i get a red, it'll be left in the woods...aside from the tail). Anyway, I finish up on WoW, then go out and get used to my new bow. It's tough, as my aim is always to the right, i ended up losing 2 arrows...

Afterwards, I went upstairs, played an hour more of WoW, then I went over to my parents' to watch Bourne Identity w/my dad. I love that movie.

My mom and sister arrived near the end of the movie, so I brought my sis back to our apartment, and decided to clean my room...cleaned out alot of trash, receipts mostly.

Now I'm hungry, nothing to eat here except eggs and popcorn. Looks like I'll be heading to walmart on my day off. :( I really wish we had a Giants around here so I could avoid going into where I work. Weis' is too small and crowded and the lines suck. -_-

Felt a tiny bit better today. Managed to drag myself off to work. I almost shouldn't have bothered...

My monthly subway commuter pass just went a bit down in price... (which is good...) but the daily parking at the subway station garage just went way up... (not so much...) The net balance is a sizable loss for me if I park every day I go to work.

Looks like I'll be doing a lot more walking from my house to the station (about 3 or 4 miles...) or taking the bus from the end of my street just in order to stay ahead. I guess I'll only park on nights I know I'm going to be there late. It does mean I have to get up and out of the house at least a half-hour or more than I have been, though. Yahoo. :dozey:

Nobody was around at work yet. I basically started prioritizing the list of maintenance projects we have to get through in the next couple of weeks before school kicks in again. Hopefully some crew will show up to tackle some of these projects tomorrow.

One good thing about going in: I guess I left the P.A. system on after the New Years Eve show. Oops... :o My bad, I guess. I don't think it will do any harm... but I should be better than that by now. I guess I was just in such a rush to get the hell out of there the other night... or I just got distracted somehow from my typical closing-up routine.

Fell asleep shortly after getting home. Only woke back up a short while ago. Yup... morning shifts again for a while. Gotta get back into that groove again, it seems.

Early morning meeting in the a.m., so I guess I should get back to sleep before I wake up too much.

I got back in from Tampa yesterday afternoon. Underdog Penn State beat the #17 Tennessee Volunteers 20-10 in our season finale. Pretty lousy weather for the game, but it was nice to spend a few days in late December walking around in 80 degree weather. Tampa is even more of a hole than Miami is.

Archived