Home

Here's the plan: (May contain KotOR spoilers)

I'm converting KotOR cutscenes and uploading them to YouTube for everyone's viewing pleasure, my question is:

Which cutscenes are worth uploading and which ones aren't?

I've already got the one where Bastila confronts Revan and the one where Revan's identity is revealed (or almost).

You can view them here

Since the profile takes a while to update, I will post every finished video in this post too, so check back often ;)

Direct links:

Edit: If there are any broken links, please PM me about it and I'll fix it ASAP :)

Why not just post all cutscenes? It would appeal to anyone who has or hasn't played KOTOR and it would be good for me, since it would save me having to put the play disc in everytime I want to see a clip.

However, reading your YouTube profile, you say that you'll post videos that you like. Why not do that?

Maybe make all five starmap cutscenes into a montage?

Good call!

Thanks...

Erm: I need some help

I tried to paste the vids together, but Windows Movie maker is proving it is a microsoft program by resizing them to 4:3 aspect ratio, which sucks cause it makes the vid look stretched...

Any ideas? Does anyone know of a free movie editing program that won't do that? Even a trial version will do...

This entire thread idea is illegal. You do not own the IP of KotOR. Nor do you have permission from BioWare or LucasArts. I know they wouldn't grant you such permission.

Not so fast. He's merely making a VIDEO. If it was illegal, then so was TSLRP's little video preview...and so would all the modding community. :p Since LA tolerates the modding community and TSLRP, I think they can tolerate this project.

He's not selling it. He's not profitting from KotOR's IP. If he places "All this material is the sole copyright of LA and Bioware", I think he would have CYA sufficintally.

This entire thread idea is illegal. You do not own the IP of KotOR. Nor do you have permission from BioWare or LucasArts. I know they wouldn't grant you such permission.

Why don't you report me then?

And if that's the case, almost everything on YouTube is illegal.

I own the game and I expect anyone who watches those videos to own it as well, I'm just trying to make it easier for people to watch those vids, if LA had a problem with it they'll take it down I'm sure...

I'm just trying to do people a favour here, if you don't like what I'm doing, report it or do whatever you want, just keep your negativity out of this thread, I'm asking for assistance in this matter, not useless bickering.

The trial version of Avid might do it. I think it lasts a month...

http://www.avid.com/products/liquid/index.asp

Thanks!

Edit: Unfortunately the trial version is very limited and it doesn't allow mp3 sound to be decoded/encoded, and since the codec I use utilises mp3 sound compression I'll have to use something else...

Not so fast. He's merely making a VIDEO. If it was illegal, then so was TSLRP's little video preview...and so would all the modding community. :p Since LA tolerates the modding community and TSLRP, I think they can tolerate this project.

He's not selling it. He's not profitting from KotOR's IP. If he places "All this material is the sole copyright of LA and Bioware", I think he would have CYA sufficintally.

Exactly!

And I will put that copyright disclaimer in the description of my vids from now on...

The EULA will probably have a good answer for you, Negative Sun, on what you can/cannot do with the vids and other material from the games.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think posting vids from the games on Youtube probably falls into a grey area, and what's legal vs. what LA allows may be a bit different, even with a disclaimer.

The EULA will probably have a good answer for you, Negative Sun, on what you can/cannot do with the vids and other material from the games.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think posting vids from the games on Youtube probably falls into a grey area, and what's legal vs. what LA allows may be a bit different, even with a disclaimer.

EULA?

YOU SHALL NOT:

- Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of this Program, in whole or in part.

It doesn't say anything about the cutscenes or broadcasting parts of the game, so that must be a grey area...But if we go by that quote, the whole modding community here is doing illegal stuff.

Can we please just drop the subject an go back to the original point? This was supposed to be a fun project. Not a bickering contest about grey areas of copyright law.

Can we please just drop the subject an go back to the original point? This was supposed to be a fun project. Not a bickering contest about grey areas of copyright law.

Bickering about grey areas in copyright IS Fun. :)

If the project is deemed legal, then it would be good. Would be nice to view the cutscenes if I ever need to.

It doesn't say anything about the cutscenes or broadcasting parts of the game, so that must be a grey area...But if we go by that quote, the whole modding community here is doing illegal stuff.

Actually, if it's illegal activity, this thread can be closed so...

On a site, all the mp3s of KotOR was available for download. It was taken down.

Modding is a tolerated thing. They don't care about it, as long as you don't sell any mods. Why? You need to own the game to use mods.

However, making music and video available to everyone, even those who do not own the game is usually considered illegal activity.

If you don't like warnings, don't, they're not supposed to be pleasant.

Actually, if it's illegal activity, this thread can be closed so...

If...Maybe we can ask the LA rep on Sunday?

Plus, I'm not redistributing it or anything, just making it available to view...I don't see any difference between that and any KotOR mod out there...A mod still has parts of the official game in it has it not? Non-game owners can download it too can they not?

Plus if you want to warn me, fine, PM me or something, but unless you have proof that I can't do this, in which case the thread will be shut down anyways, can we please drop the subject? I'm asking this as a friendly request, nothing more :)

If...Maybe we can ask the LA rep on Sunday?

Believe me you will not get a legal answer from a LA employee. They will simply tell you that all legal questions need to go to their legal departments.

Plus, I'm not redistributing it or anything, just making it available to view...

That fits the definition of distributing... you put something up for download is a form of distribution.

I don't see any difference between that and any KotOR mod out there...A mod still has parts of the official game in it has it not? Non-game owners can download it too can they not?

While non-game owners can download a mod for a game, they can't use the content without a copy of said game. The operative word is use.

Plus if you want to warn me, fine, PM me or something,

Well, technically we don't have to PM you to give you a warning, just an FYI.

Back on-topic folks... thanks. ;)

Thanks RedHawke, and for the record, I wasn't talking about mods warning me, just people in general :)

Anyways, I managed to paste the four Star Map visions together, and I think it must be live by now, will add it to the list soon done!

Did the same for the Leviathan cutscens above Taris.

I'm thinking of doing the same with some of the Ebon Hawk cutscenes, since some of them are only a few seconds long...

And I also think I should put the departure/arrival on each planet together, but I haven't made up my mind about that yet.

No cause all you need is the Bink player to see them then, and besides, what's the point in that? The files are .bik files to begin with, I'm converting them so not everyone has to get a Bink player to view them, and on my YouTube channel and in this thread they'll be grouped together so they're easy to browse through.

Edit: added 8 new videos, mostly Ebon Hawk ones.

Update: added another 5 videos, and they're getting views and ratings now yay!

I forgot how many Ebon Hawk cutscenes there are, and that's not even all of them.

I'm keeping the best for last: the Star Forge battles will be coming soon, they just all need editing since some are like 20MB and that's just murder with my upload speed (it's supposed to be 256kb/s, but actually is about 30kb/s)

Edit: Added another 5 vids today, and I'm almost there, the Star Forge vids are next ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived