Home

"The Witcher" by CD Projekt

Char Ell

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/

So who is planning on buying and playing this fantasy RPG that uses BioWare's Aurora Engine? The game seems to have gone gold, if that is what is meant by "master candidate" being finished. So it would seem like it will be released in the next month or two. BioWare has recommended the game but I hardly consider that an unbiased recommendation, since the game is using a BioWare engine.

I seem to recall reading an article on The Witcher in GfW magazine. I don't think the reviewer gave the game very high marks but I do remember something along the lines of the PC being able to "score" with a milk maiden. For that alone this game will definitely get an M rating, if not an AO rating.

Anyway, this is one of those games where I'm looking for someone else to be the guinea pig and try it out, then give their opinion on whether the game is worth playing or not. :D

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game will be a hit (it have to be ;) )! I have ordered collectors edition (not sure if in English it's called that way) so I will be able to write is it realy as great as the creators say ;) (and two days before premiere <yay>).

It's the only game that I've been waiting for and been following it's development almost since it's announcement. Even KOTOR 3 is on 2nd position of my list of most wanted games (if it is ever going to be created).

BioWare has recommended the game but I hardly consider that an unbiased recommendation, since the game is using a BioWare engine.

'The Witcher' is going to be great RPG game mostly becouse of the story and not the engine I think.

I have been following this game almost since the day it was announced. However I will wait for the price to drop no matter how good the game is.
Understandable. It's just more anecdotal evidence in support of one of the reasons why PC games are on the decline though. PC gamers generally won't pay as much for a game as console gamers.

In my case I'm willing to spend the money if the game is worth it. But I don't find fantasy RPG's to be very appealing to begin with so that is why I'll wait for a few people to play the game (whenever it's released) and get their feedback before I decide whether or not to buy it.

Saw a video somedays ago about Witcher when he had a conversation with a protistute. The lip sync was ****ed up in that video, it looked really awful.

This is a game il think that could be great, they story and so on seems very intressing, but it can fail because bad programming. Just look at Two World, if you have play it. The story seems good, of what i played but the game fails because the bad programming

What are the system requirements?

- Ghost Down

You'll find it on the official website: http://www.thewitcher.com along with many other interesting informations ;)

As for now the requirements are (for playing in medium details):

Pentium 4 2,8 GHz or similar AMD

1 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce 6600 128MB RAM or similar ATI

but CD Projekt is still working on optimalization of the engine so the requirements will be lower.

• 3 weeks later...

I've known about the same for some time since I did some art that reminded a viewer of the book.

If it's got a good plot? great! But if it looks like NWN2, somebody's going to get hurt. I think I've been gamed out on games that have that inbetween real and animated look. The Kotor series is about all I can put up with right now.

System requirements for The Witcher have been posted here. Interesting that the recommended requirements are a dual-core CPU as that makes me wonder if the game is multithreaded. If so that would be a serious revamp of BioWare's good ole' Aurora Engine.

The game is also supposed to be released at the end of this month though I still can't find an actual date. Maybe it will be a pre-Halloween release on Oct. 30.

The game is also supposed to be released at the end of this month though I still can't find an actual date. Maybe it will be a pre-Halloween release on Oct. 30.

'The Witcher' will be released in Poland on Oct. 26 so world premiere should be about the same time (I've heard something about Oct. 30 but I'm not sure).

It utilizes the Aurora Engine? If i'm not mistaken isn't this what Mass Effect also uses. If so then i probs can't resist giving this game a try.

EDIT: Then again is the game created by Atari; IMO i have pretty much hated their past attempts in game creation personally.

The game is published by Atari. The developer is a European (Polish, I think) company called CD Projekt. It's their first game but if it lives up to their hype about your actions having consequences, it should set them up as a large player in the game business. It's good to have two healthy - Obsidian and CD Projekt - alternatives to the massive beast that is BioWare, again; we used to have Black Isle and Troika.

Aurora is the engine used by Neverwinter Nights. The code base is heavily edited, isn't the combat now real time? I'm not well up on this game so don't kill me if I'm wrong. Aurora was also heavily modified for use as the Odyssey engine, in KotOR I and II, as well as the Electron engine in Neverwinter Nights 2.

I was wrong then, :lol:

just from the media it looks completely different from NWN, the engine must be heavily tweaked.

What engine does Mass Effect use, it can't still be the Odyssey engine; or has it been tweaked and updated for Mass Effect? This game looks very interesting and if successful it should catapult this Polish company towards the heights of RPG heavyweights such as Bioware. I take it will be in the similar vein of Kotor and the soon to be Mass Effect. I just love these RPGs that make you consider your actions in game as they have consequences rather than simplistic RPGs where you can cause a lot of havoc running around killing monsters and generally doing as you please without any change to the storyline etc. (aka Final Fantasy :lol: ). That's if of course if you don't mind becoming a huge nasty villain and have kids run at the mere sight of you (like Fable :D GOD THAT GAME IS AMAZING!). I shall keep an eye on this one, can't wait for release!

• 2 weeks later...

Gamespot says The Witcher will be available in Europe on Oct. 26 and in North America on Oct. 30.

I did notice on Atari's website that the game will also be available for purchase via digital download. After further review of this game it seems like it's going to be too mature for my tastes. I'm still thinking I'll have to get some opinions from people who have played the game before I make my final decision on whether or not to buy The Witcher.

Gamespot says The Witcher will be available in Europe on Oct. 26 and in North America on Oct. 30.

I did notice on Atari's website that the game will also be available for purchase via digital download. After further review of this game it seems like it's going to be too mature for my tastes. I'm still thinking I'll have to get some opinions from people who have played the game before I make my final decision on whether or not to buy The Witcher.

I've seen some videos of this game and it does seem to be darker and more mature than most RPGs. But I think developers are aiming for that, Bioware's Dragon Age is going to be more mature (or so they say) and Obsidian is making an Aliens RPG (I can't imagine Aliens in any other way). Personally I'm looking forward to this game.

After further review of this game it seems like it's going to be too mature for my tastes.

It will be mature, but not only becouse of violence and stuff ;) most of the 'darkness' in this game comes from the story and choices you make while playing (i.e. there in no light and dark side like in SW, in TW there is only gray scale). And since the author of books about witcher (Andrzej Sapkowski) gave his 'blessing' for the script it means the story is (almost ;) ) as good as the one in books.

I'm still thinking I'll have to get some opinions from people who have played the game before I make my final decision on whether or not to buy The Witcher.

I try to write something about how I liked the game when I get my copy next week (if I will be able to run it on my old computer and then if I will be able to stop playing ;) )

The largest part of why it will be matured (Il think) is because it will be pretty sexual. The reviews have stareded dropped in, and one of the reporter writted that female have as minimal clothes as possibel, and one creture, the dryad that looks exactly the same as a human female except that she have a more greenish skin tone was completly nude^^

So it's ok to have cretured that is nude but not humans:D

But none the less, all reviews il have seen says it's a good game with good story, so it not a new Two Worlds that i feared it would be

So it's ok to have cretured that is nude but not humans:D

But none the less, all reviews il have seen says it's a good game with good story, so it not a new Two Worlds that i feared it would be

If the game is not primarily geared towards the US market and towards younger people nudity is probably less of a problem (even if it will raise the age rating of the game elsewhere as well). If it's a fantasy game the chainmail bikini is almost a mandatory element, so it's hardly unsurprising this game would go down that often-traveled path as well. :)

As for naked non-human creatures, most people are OK with not giving their dogs and cats any clothing, so they would probably be OK with that in game as well. :p

Oh, we have a thread on this? I came upon this game at random a few days ago and instantly fell in love with it. M 17+ rating on it for a start means this is bound to be an interesting rpg in my opinion. My number 1# favorite RPG, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, was an M 17+ game and an AO in many countries so I have a special interest in an rpg that decides to appeal to a more adult audience.

I particularly like the fact the game is going to try and focus on a gray scale instead of jumping on the rpg bandwagon. Any old hero can try to be "good" and "bad", but it takes good storytelling to show that all actions have an equal and opposite reaction. The "good" and "evil" scale, in my opinion, makes games like Fable and KOTOR far less realistic emotionally than a game with an attempt at a unique story direction.

If the game is not primarily geared towards the US market and towards younger people nudity is probably less of a problem (even if it will raise the age rating of the game elsewhere as well). If it's a fantasy game the chainmail bikini is almost a mandatory element, so it's hardly unsurprising this game would go down that often-traveled path as well. :p

Hey, if I could look hot as hell in medieval times with a claymore and not barely get hurt, I'd wear a chain mail bikini with some fashionable silk as well. :p Would prolly chafe horrible though.

Still, as you said, not suprising they would jump down this path since every rpg and its mom seems to do the same.

As for naked non-human creatures, most people are OK with not giving their dogs and cats any clothing, so they would probably be OK with that in game as well.

Couldn't of said it better :p

Can't wait for it to hit the shelves on Tuesday. Been a dry spell on games for weeks now for me.

I particularly like the fact the game is going to try and focus on a gray scale instead of jumping on the rpg bandwagon. Any old hero can try to be "good" and "bad", but it takes good storytelling to show that all actions have an equal and opposite reaction. The "good" and "evil" scale, in my opinion, makes games like Fable and KOTOR far less realistic emotionally than a game with an attempt at a unique story direction.

I think that remains to be seen. Jade Empire was advertised as having an alignment system where good and evil didn't exist. The Way of the Open Palm means that you help people at the risk of them becoming dependent and the Way of the Closed Fist means that you allow people to make their own mistakes, a sort of 'survival of the fittest' philosophy. The game trips over its own internal philosophies and presents you with the Way of the Open Palm which means you aid people at the risk of them becoming dependent and the Way of the Closed Fist which involves eating babies.

I'll wait to see whether or not they deliver on this point.

Archived