Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

Well, all I know is that DAAMIT's new 48xx series will have to be one hellatious value for me to want to attempt to tolerate the pathologically hated Catalyst Control Center.

On a more positive note, one good thing about a new generation of video cards is that the prices of the previous generation are sure to tank. 8800GTXs can be had right now for around $200.00, and the next gen isn't even out yet. Good news for the budget-consious that don't feel the need to play Crysis, as the current gen plays just about every other game well.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For people like me on a smaller budget and who doesn't play the latest FPS games (I.E.: Crysis, CoD4, etc...), last gen's top-end cards at bargain rates are excellent!!!

My choice would be between an 8800GT/GTS or an HD3850/70, perfect for resolutions up to 1680x1050 and easy on the wallet :)

For people like me on a smaller budget and who doesn't play the latest FPS games (I.E.: Crysis, CoD4, etc...), last gen's top-end cards at bargain rates are excellent!!!

My choice would be between an 8800GT/GTS or an HD3850/70, perfect for resolutions up to 1680x1050 and easy on the wallet :)

more than adequate for that rez. Even with my 1600p, im not budging off my 8800GTS 512 until they make that single PCB card that is a crysis killer!!

(and will fit in my case hehe)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
Nae chance of that happening pal, if anything they just keep getting bigger and bigger... :naughty:

nah, thats just those stoopid GX2 cards. Who wants one of them. The P2 shuttles can fit dual slot 8800GTS, its only when you get cards with add on cooling kit that they become ridiculous :) With the transistor count jump the next gen of GPUs are getting, they could pull the equivalent of an 8800GTS on one PCB ;)

@Q >>Hav eyou noticed that CPU news is so anticlimactic these days!!... apart from a morbid interest to see if phenom is going to get a decent >3.0 incarnation, its all ho-hum. The performance ceilings have hit.... GPUs where all the action is... games like crysis have thrown down the gauntlet to nvidia and those clowns at ATI. Nehalem or not, any rig is still going to get its ass kicked by the almighty crytek engine :D

mtfbwya

I wants a Shuttle! But not the rubbish new ones with like 250W PSUs...

Yeah this Intel pummeling AMD thing isn't even funny anymore...it makes it very hard for AMD fanboys like myself to consider purchasing any of their hardware.

Pretty soon I'll have to start looking at Intel stuff for a new rig, unless AMD has a major trick up its sleeve shortly (highly unlikely) or I don't upgrade my PC until the Fusion is out (maybe a bit more likely :xp: )

Well, here is the first concrete preview of Intel's new Nehalem architecture. Looks like it will be as much of an advance over Core2 as Core2 was over Netburst.

I've been eagerly anticipating the release of Nehalem. Bloomfield CPU is what I'm waiting for. I'm hoping to upgrade next year. Of course if AMD releases a competitive product I'll check it out too but it doesn't look like the chances of that happening are very good.

I wants a Shuttle! But not the rubbish new ones with like 250W PSUs...

Look around at sudhian, a 250W PSU supplying a flex-atx mainboard can do much more... many report they have their 8800GTS running off one. You could definitely get an 8800GT running on one easily :) The whole power profile changes with f-atx, only 2 exp slots, less peripheral slots, and always a good strong 12V rail to the pcie.

Still, the budget kpcs arent the way to go if youre aiming at a gaming pc. The P2 series are the ones built for the gaming crowd, and come in intel and amd flavours.

I dont see any impetus to change my CPU or GPU yet, as the highest end of both will not give me anything more than a slideshow in crysis at >HD.

mtfbwya

Well I would favour an HD3870, which apparently is more friendly to the environment than any nVidia 8-series offerings , so that might be doable then...I wouldn't slap an X2 6400+ in there either, the 5000+ Black Edition or one of the 45W BE series would do me...

@Q >>Hav eyou noticed that CPU news is so anticlimactic these days!!... apart from a morbid interest to see if phenom is going to get a decent >3.0 incarnation, its all ho-hum. The performance ceilings have hit....
C'mon, Astro. If this news was about an AMD chip you'd be dancing in the streets. ;) I think it's pretty huge, myself.

I don't think that things are as black for AMD as the general consensus would lead us to believe. There are two reasons for this:

1) There have been people who have O/Ced the 9x50 versions of Phenom and have indicated that at around 3Ghz it begins to close the IPC gap with Kentsfield and even Yorkfield at that speed. These reports are not from AMD fanboys but from O/Cers who own Intel systems and built Phenom boxes out of curiosity. If AMD's 45nm die-shrink of Phenom (Shanghai?) can run at these speeds, there are indications that it will at least be competitive with Yorkfield. Shanghai should also correct several faults with Phenom's architecture, like it's horrible cache arrangement.

2)Nehalem rigs will be prohibitively expensive to build until the mainstream versions become available sometime in late 2009 (I think), and they will still be expensive even then because they will probably require much more expensive DDR3 (again, I think).

GPUs where all the action is... games like crysis have thrown down the gauntlet to nvidia and those clowns at ATI. Nehalem or not, any rig is still going to get its ass kicked by the almighty crytek engine :D
The next generation of GPUs from both camps are set to deal with this shortcoming, and Crysis is more useful as a benchmark than as a game that people will actually play. :D
Well I would favour an HD3870, which apparently is more friendly to the environment than any nVidia 8-series offering
Huh? Who told you this? Last time I checked, the power consumption ratings between the 3870 and the 8800GT were very similar; so similar as to be unworthy of consideration, IMHO. :confused:

C'mon, Astro. If this news was about an AMD chip you'd be dancing in the streets. ;)

morbid curiosity does not equal dancing in the streets ;) I would be very pleased if they released a fusion CnGPU that can do 1080p multimedia :D This would open the door for great small form factor media center rigs :)

Crysis/The Crytek engine is indeed a great functional benchmarking tool....as is Oblivion, FEAR, GRAW etc... not everyones cup o tea to play of course ;)

I dont mind it... I prefer sports n RPG games though, purely a personal preference of course :D

I think the 3850 are a bit more easier on the hip pocket to acquire, which Im guessing is negsuns main consideration.

mtfbwya

With our roving tech reporter MIA(negsun is reportedly stuck in an elevator at Skywalker Ranch, after picking up his first moderator paycheck :)), heres some news and reviews to have a squiz at:

PCI -express 3.0 details

skinny: Twice as fast at 2.0, backwards compatible(ie. your pci-e 2.0 kit wont be useless in a pci-e 3.0 slot)

If you are a tech uber nerdgenius, this may make sense to you :)

The amount of information transferred will depend on how wide the channel is; a x16 channel is the norm today, but the spec allows up to x32 lanes, each transferring 250 Mbytes/s at PCI Express 1.1 speeds and about 500 Mbytes/s at PCI Express 2.0 speeds. At PCI Express 1.1 speeds, thirty-two lanes of 250 MB/s (PCIe 1.1) gives a maximum transfer rate of 8 Gbytes/s, or 16 Gbytes/s at PCI Express 2.0. By removing the requirement for an 8-bit/10-bit encoding scheme found within PCI Express 2.0, PCIe 3.0's 8-gigatransfer/s bit rate effectively delivers double the PCI Express 2.0 bandwidth

Secondly, how about the XFX 9800GX2 Black Edition

skinny:

Crysis at medium 0AA/16AF

55FPS at 1080p ; 49FPS at 1600p

Not bad ;) Still, GX2 cards are not, and never will be cost or power efficient. Lets see what the next gen of GPUs will do ;)

Of course, the ATI 3870 1024mb offering is still chasing the 8800Ultra.... sheez. Even the most die hard AMD/ATI fan will surely be starting to feel demoralised (covers sig) after the relentless arsekicking they are getting on all fronts from a gaming CPU/GPU POV...

Maybe they should look for some new staff?? Theyre obviously not doing something right! :p

mtfbwya

Sorry Astro, but I've been doing like a marathon run at my work and it feels like everytime I'm off, I'm still crazy busy...

PCI-E 3 looks good, can't wait to see what new generations of GPUs are gonna squeeze out of that puppy.

I do agree it's getting beyond embarrasing for AMD now, they need a serious miracle to save their rep and maybe even their company.

...I do agree it's getting beyond embarrasing for AMD now, they need a serious miracle to save their rep and maybe even their company.

I dont know if they'll go down yet, they always seem to have a place in the middle end, notebook and server market, not to mention the multimedia/htpc crowd(though theyre going to need a performance booster even in that with the increasing uptake of BRay) Also, they seem to be making grounds in the mobile market, apparently having spawned a mobile device GPU that can do '360 level graphics'

Still, the main questions people have of AMD:

*When are your high end 45nm quads coming ?? (are they coming at all?!!)

*When is fusion happening?

A bit of $$$ riding on those two questions alone :D

It would really SUCK to see intel/nvidia take a monopoly on the gaming market(arguably, they already have one).....

mtfbwya

Well, here is Anand's review of Nvidia's GT200 cards. What a power-sucking monster it is! And Astro was right: Crysis has yet to be decisively mastered. The funny thing is that the 9800GX2 is actually a better buy than the GTX280, as it outperforms it in a lot of games and costs $150 less. :p Ridiculous!

Looks like DAAMIT really has a chance to pull a price/performance rabbit out of its hat here. We'll find out soon.

:lol: My eyes glazed over after reading the first several pages about the new architecture.

Power wise I didn't think it was all that bad. NVIDIA seems to have done a good job of reducing power consumption at idle, coming in 13 W lower than the 9800 GTX while having a lot more stream processors to keep running. But it sure does gobble up the watts when it puts those 240 stream processors to use.

I have to agree that the price/performance ratio doesn't make the cut. Makes me think I should just go ahead and buy an 8800 GTS 512 and wait for NVIDIA to release the GTX 200 on a 55 nm or smaller process. I wonder what name they'll give to those GPU's? GTX 285 and 265? GTX 380 and 360? Whatever. :dozey:

I guess AMD should be revealing their latest GPU product later this week. I'll have to see what they've come up with.

For 1680x1050 and below, I'd still look no further than an HD 3850/3870, unless you must get max settings and framerates in CoD4 or other such games...
I'm looking for a graphics card that will generally allow me to play at 1920x1200, medium settings, 4x AA, 8x AF, at acceptable frame rates for most games and won't cost me more than USD$250. As far as I can tell 30 fps and above is acceptable to me. :)

It soundly beats the 8800GT and trades shots with the 9800GTX for $200. Note how well it does at higher resolutions.

If it's any indication of how good this card is, Nvidia has announced a drastic price cut of the 9800GTX (to $200) as well as the pending release of a "9800GTX+" featuring a die-shrunk (55nm) G92 and higher clock speeds for $230.

With the 4850 as good as it is, I eagerly look forward to reviews of the 4870. Indications are that DAAMIT has a price/performance winner on their hands. Let the price wars begin! :D

Yes, I too await test results of the 4870. I'm getting fed up with NVIDIA's antics (surprise announcing a 55 nm version of the 9800 GTX, big price drops on existing products once AMD showed their hand, product naming conventions, etc.) so if the 4870 looks good on the price/performance/power metrics I'm looking for I'll likely buy it.

Keep in mind that the 4850 has a single-slot cooler that exhausts hot air into your case whereas the 9800GTX/GTX+ both have a double-slot cooler that exhausts out of your case. Since most of the reviews show this cooler to be woefully inadequate (a la the 8800GT), it would probably be wise to wait until DAAMIT's board partners start shipping 4850s with their own non-reference double-slot coolers.

It also looks like DAAMIT has finally overcome the dismal AA performance of the 29xx and 38xx series. This is going to be a very interesting summer. ;)

Archived