Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

wow.. I was blown away by this one...

Ive seen ladies that were gaming or coding/modding savvy(we even have a couple around here), but ever met a lady into GPU kit, Nitrogen Overclocking etc..? I definitely havent in all my travels...

But alas, one exists... check out Steffee aka "SLI Chick" rip into GTX280 overclock with a cannister of nitro...

newsworthy in itself IMO.

Perhaps only exciting for myself, Quad HD displays to go production in 2009...

4,096 x 2,400 (4K2K for us display junkies) aka 2400p...

Panasonic will be releasing their 150 Inch 4K2K "Life Wall TV" next year. I have always been ranting that I want wall size UHD displays, so its good to see theyre listening ;)

1600p is so 2007 :p

Of course, not even a GTX280 in quad sli can even think about rendering a game in 2400p, but we'll get there (give it 5-7 years)

Here's some phun AMD news...

Rumour: Dual core, K10 based, Athlon branded CPUs on way from AMD

There definitely is a bit of confusion surrounding this rumour... 2.3Ghz? Apparently, these were initially going to be "Phenom" branded, but maybe AMD has made a marketing decision to revert to Athlon for their more successful dual core range?

AMD to switch to AM3/DDR3 in Jan 2009

AMD bringing out 45nm X4s by Jan 2009 Fanboys of course are crossing their fingers for higher clockspeeds ;)

mtfbwya

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One for teh Astro ;)

Nvidia GPUs responsible for 42% of FAH output

Wow, that a lot!!!

P.S.: Sorry for being MIA, been enjoying a well-deserved holiday back home in Belgium with the family...Gutted for going back to work on monday though!

yes, you have been MIA, I posted that a few days ago in our folding social group miniforum, as it was folding related :) But still good to see you back ;)

The nvision conference wrapped up recently. Whilst some interesting stuff was shown, they didnt seem to announce the 55nm 280+.. which is what the rumour was... damn fanboy rumours :( If you are interested in more detail about the nvision conference, HH from G3D flew to San Jose to check it out. Total War fans would be interested to see that the new installment is looking awesome...

Whilst you're there you might want to check out the review of the pre overclocked BFG GTX 280 OCX, which IIRC is the card our master folder chainz has been destroying WUs with ;)

so as far as hardware goes, the 280+ now seems to be the focus for many who werent swayed towards ATIs power guzzling 4870X2...

You know what they say:

"if you cant do it with a single GPU, youre not doin it right" :xp:

mtfbwya

Whilst you're there you might want to check out the review of the pre overclocked BFG GTX 280 OCX, which IIRC is the card our master folder chainz has been destroying WUs with ;)

Yeah, that sucker is a beast! I actually have the lower OC'ed version (the OC).

Clock - 615mhz

Memory - 1107mhz

Shader - 1350mhz

BFG has 3 tiers of the demon card. OC, OC2 & OCX :lol:

http://bfgtech.com/Product.aspx?Category=Graphics%20Cards

Though with the temps I'm getting and the mobo BIOS settings.. I could definitely get mine to these specs.. just not under the warranty ;)

Considering the specs and benches I'm getting.. no matter which tier you go.. you won't be disappointed. Sure SLI/Crossfire cards can get about the same specs.. but the GTX280 does it with a single gpu with no bottlenecking AND can be tripled (depending on your bank account :eek: ) :D

I believe no matter which version you use.. F@H assigns 480 points to GTX280 WU's.. but don't quote me.. hehehe

I believe no matter which version you use.. F@H assigns 480 points to GTX280 WU's.. but don't quote me.. hehehe

Yep, I am getting the same point allocation for the 8800GTS, but the 280 gets through its WUs quicker.

Here's a nifty and quite comprehensive tool for those who want to delve into their GPU a bit more... RivaTuner 2.0 is up and ready, and features support for lastest nvidia and ATI(non beta) drivers.

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
Nvidia and ATI accused of price fixing!!!

^ Wow, weird stuff, at least it benefits the consumers though....

***BREAKING NEWS***

***CORPORATIONS WANT TO MAKE MONEY***

Do I sense some sarcasm or just BS? Please don't patronize people in such way there's no need, this is the news and gossip thread after all, if you must vent your overload of sarcastic energy, I'm sure there's some emo kids hanging around in dire need of a verbal molestation ;)

aw darnit... when I saw jmacs name glowing and throbbing with a new post in here, I rushed in thinking he/she had contributed an interesting news story or review for us to read.... :xp:

>>>

In other whirlwind events, MS has rolled out its 'BlueTrack' mouse. Many mouse geeks seem impressed with its speed and agility. Apparently, a gaming optimised version is due in Feb 09...

Those who are ati fanboyz interested in hearing about the new budget card from AMD, check out this review of the HD 4670

In Birthday related news, would ye believe the good ole integrated circuit recently turned 50 Going from producing a waveform on an oscilloscope in 1958 to Crysis at UHD in 2008 has taken trillions of dollars and even more man hours.... Who says technology is moving too fast :D

However, my lolz of the week goes to the former intel employee who got busted stealing secrets to take to his new employer AMD Apparently, on hearing he was going to work for AMD, suspicious supervisors ordered a log of his system activities... Eventually the FBI raided his house and found all the incriminating stuff..

mtfbwya

@negsun... it's pretty obvious what CPUs they have in their rigs over at Quantico :p

Here's some very interesting news.... The new GTX260, with an extra 24 stream processors...(216 total) Full review here

Here's a byte from HH@G3D

* The product at reference specification is pretty much dead on with a Radeon HD 4870, at a slightly lower price = a win.

* The BFG version is massively overclocked, performance is actually close and/or similar to the GeForce GTX 280 = a win.

I have to admit....Im very tempted.... the 280+ doesnt seem to be on its way until december....

*ruminates upon issue* :p

mtfbwya

If youve read the review Charr, youd know that its called GTX 260 Core 216.. sounds very sci-fi does it not :D
:drop2: You've got to be kidding... I did see that in the article but I thought it was G3D's pet nickname for it or something like that. I didn't actually think NVIDIA was calling it that. Chalk up another flabbergasting name to Team Green. :roleyess:

its called GTX 260 Core 216.. sounds very sci-fi does it not :D

I find that it sounds more confusing to the average buyer than anything else (or is that what you meant by "sci-fi"? :xp: )...reminds me the 8800gts series...I know a few people who paid a higher price for an older and less performing card such as the 8800gts 640MB (G80) rather than going for the 8800gts 512MB (G92).

Speaking about nVidia:

They just cut 6.5% of their employees

^ Tough times for everyone these days I suppose, not just investment bankers...

First 6-core processors are upon us, by Intel of course!

^ Interesting, a TDP of 130W is indeed a bit toasty for the 2.66Ghz one, but a new Quad at 50W sounds quite interesting for us power saving freaks out there *cough*astro*cough*

I find that it sounds more confusing to the average buyer than anything else....

I'd venture to say the C216 is something the 'average buyer' wouldn't even contemplate. This thing is targeted at us 'more money than sense' ubergeeks enthusiasts :D

@negsun..amd has green plans too... I'm personally interested in what fusion will do for power consumption..if only we had more info on fusion than some AMD roadmap slides featuring various animal and insect names :p

mtfbwya

According to CustomPC

There’s a new GeForce GTX 260 in town, but it’s quite a different beast from the standard GTX 260, even though it has exactly the same name. Okay, we admit it’s beyond us why Nvidia decided to give the GeForce 9800 GTX name to a GPU that was almost identical to the 512MB GeForce 8800 GTS, but has stuck with the same GTX 260 name for a new GPU.
So it looks like it's the OEM's that are determining how to name this new GTX 260. According to CustomPC BFG Tech is calling it the GTX 260 MaxCore, EVGA is calling it GTX 260 Core 216, and Zotac is calling it GTX 260². I checked Newegg and the BFG Tech GTX 260's don't have MaxCore anywhere in the product description at the present time. And after checking NVIDIA's website there is still no mention of the new GTX 260 with 216 stream processors. I thought NVIDIA wasn't handling this well but now...

In more DirectX 11 news, Bit-Tech.net has published an article on the new features of DirectX 11. I was particularly interested in how DirectX 11's compute shader seems positioned to provide a standardized physics processing solution that could supplant PhysX and Havok and possibly CUDA and CAL on the GPGPU side of things as well.

hehe.... what's in a name Char ? I'd say as MaxCore hasnt hit the shelves yet, you wont find much about them outside of reviewers with their hands on factory releases :p It's just a variant of their overclocked range... I daresay the XFX version will sport several XXX in it again, the XFX XXX GTX260 EXTREME216 XXX EXTRA EDITION :p

DX11 does promise good things, but you realise you will need windows7 to use it ;) I havent heard a whiff of anything that tells us Vista is making a DX11 jump...heck, game devs are nowhere near being 10.1 compliant :p

mtfbwya

DX11 does promise good things, but you realise you will need windows7 to use it ;) I havent heard a whiff of anything that tells us Vista is making a DX11 jump...heck, game devs are nowhere near being 10.1 compliant :p

I thought I read somewhere that DX11 would be compatible with Vista as well as all DX10 compatible hardware.

Can't find a link for that info atm though, but I'll keep my eyes open.

On page 2 of the bit-tech.net article I linked to it has the slides Microsoft used when they announced and presented DirectX 11 at their Gamefest event. One of those slides specifically states that "Direct3D 11 will be available on Windows Vista and future Windows operating systems."

IMHO that is really a good thing because I can only imagine the PC game development nightmare that would result from having DirectX 9 on Windows XP, DirectX 10 on Windows Vista, and DirectX 11 on Windows 7 with no cross-compatibility. :loco:

Interesting+lolz... I obviously have been waylaid by fanboy rumour because I havent thought about since prior to the announcement(as I dont have a 10.1 card)

I have only looked at it very quickly, but Im not sure if DX10.1 is even on my system... I have one rig runningSP1 and have checked via dxdiag that it doesnt have 10.1 listed.. or will it only appear if you have a 10.1 card??

mtfbwya

check out G3Ds review of EVGAs GTX 260 Core 16 Superclocked! RRP $299USD, pretty much identical in performance to the stock 280 1024MB , esp at 16x12 or above :D [/awesomez] \o/

Definitely my #1 contender now :p I was all set to get the PS3 for TFU but given the so-so response by many to it(especially the 'could have been longer'/'too repetitive' bits) I think Id prefer to upgrade my GPU, which will get used properly ;)

*ruminates*

Also, its good HH took heed of many of our prods to start including folding/physx/CUDA info :D

the 260 will indeed be a good little folder ;)

mtfbwya

^^^^

make sure you get a good game to flex the new GPU muscle on. say, Crysis: Warhead or STALKER: Clear Skies... ;)

and while you're going with the GTX 260 Core 16, i went ahead and picked up a Gigabyte 4850 1GB. the nice part about this one, though, is that it has a Zalman cooler on it. according to the article from Gure3D, this cooler, though noisy, does a great job of cooling the card. review here.

the bonus is that i've duped sold my current 2900 Pro to a friend for $100, and that means my net purchase price for the 4850 is only $119. :D

@stinger...congrats on the new kit... you must surely be joining the fold with us soon? :p Since teamLFN has entered the top 3000 we now get geeky+cool sigz, you may have noticed :D Im not that keen to get to Crysis warhead... I can only handle so much FPS... and Im actually slowly playing Elite Force 2 for some Trek/Quake Engine goodness :) Id love to run Mass Effect at 1600p and the new FIFA09 is due soon and is meant to have next gen gfx - so I want to do that at 19x12 at least - which the core 216 should allow me to do...

As for intels energy propaganda, I think the dude who commented first said it all... There is a buttload of netburst P4s still out there, heck even F@Hs benchmarking rig is a P4! They need to get an estimation of the amount of energy the P4s have wasted/are still wasting, and then subtract that from their $2 billion!

It must be said, they have been moving in the right direction post netburst. The atom is a step in the right direction... BUT, its almost sickening the amount of hype the atom has gotten when you consider it still cant hold a candle to AMDs old and magical K8 architecture

In fact, the Athlon 64 2000+ at 8 watts outperforms and draws less power than the atome 230... ah, good ole K8.

20.png

Full 14 page analysis at Toms HERE

Apparently, since that article, green pc peeps have been bouncing around like monkeys scrounging for an Athlon 2000+ :D (I have a 3200 sitting in my cupboard, biding its time for a htpc berth)

mtfbwya

Archived