Home

Moon Colonization

revan7189

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If WWIII is going to be fought over some stupid terrian, it would be far better to fight it over the Moon.

The alternative, fighting World War III over the North Pole and the South Pole...doesn't have the same ring to it.

especially if the world was devastated over it. If we fought over the moon(but kept it on earth), then the moon would still be in tact. Not that it's the greatest place to end up.

More likely we would end up with supermax prisons on the moon. Not much chance of escape. Nowhere to escape to.

I could see also medical research being done up there. It would be easier to create a clean environment from a vacuum and brought in environment.

I still say it wold be better to go under ocean. Perhaps even before we go to the moon.

I still say it wold be better to go under ocean. Perhaps even before we go to the moon.

You know, I've once heard that (hypotetically) the technology required to build a base underwater - on deep waters - needs to be more advanced than the one on the construction of a moonbase. Besides, it's a risk damaging the oceans.

You know, I've once heard that (hypotetically) the technology required to build a base underwater - on deep waters - needs to be more advanced than the one on the construction of a moonbase. Besides, it's a risk damaging the oceans.

I don't know how that could be. We've been sinking neutrally buoyant ships for a long time(aka submarines). Unless you're talking about the large sci-fi style cities underwater. Building a large structure, and basically dropping it to the ocean floor to anchor it, then pumping out the water doesn't sound like it needs too much new tech.

And considering the number of nuclear reactors we already have punching holes in the ocean, I don't think a base will cause that much more damage.

I think the problem with underwater bases comes about only in deep see where water preasure is quite a problem, along with the extreme coldness and anger of the old ones...

And I wouldn't suggest whacking on the underground volcanos destroying the ecology there either.

So when will we build loads of bases on the moon... we can leave out signatures on it like that. Or just make the surface for all limited war on this planet, with giant robots like gundam fight. We can all watch that on HBO.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I'd like to buy a vowel please....

Well to an extent the depth and pressure are a concern, but up to about 4000 feet is pretty managable. The Russians already built a sub that goes that deep(Typhoon Class). Greater depths are possible with similar materials only thicker as the thing doesn't have to return to the surface. A docking ring can be made at a higher depth to allow personnel transfers. I could go on, but it is a bit off topic.

My concern about the moon bases is the lack of any place to escape to. You go from an emergency situation to..... I guess they could have an emergency escape vehicle. But considering the nature of the moon as a meteor magnet, I might be more concerned about that being the cause of the emergency. which could make escape or survival impossible...

Then again I guess Kraken and giant squid attacks could be a problem:D

Well to an extent the depth and pressure are a concern, but up to about 4000 feet is pretty managable. The Russians already built a sub that goes that deep(Typhoon Class). Greater depths are possible with similar materials only thicker as the thing doesn't have to return to the surface.
Apropos surface - a sub has a much smaller surface than that ocean ground base would have, and according to the physics I know, that means that base would have to withstand much higher forces. Also, subs are more or less cylindrical, what, according to the physics I know, means the pressure is distributed evenly over the ship, thus leveling itself out, and not just coming from above like it would be for a building on the ocean grounds. Except you want to build them like large super tubes.

My concern about the moon bases is the lack of any place to escape to. You go from an emergency situation to..... I guess they could have an emergency escape vehicle. But considering the nature of the moon as a meteor magnet, I might be more concerned about that being the cause of the emergency. which could make escape or survival impossible...
And just because a meteor comes down noone could use an escape ship or something? Also, what about emergencies on the ocean ground. Using rescue boats or whatever is not exactly what I would call without any risk either.

And just because a meteor comes down noone could use an escape ship or something? Also, what about emergencies on the ocean ground. Using rescue boats or whatever is not exactly what I would call without any risk either.

God, if we start thinking like that, this will be the end to human ventures. Why, even on an Earth level disaster we don't have where to run, do we?

First get the act together here on Earth then colonize new worlds. Or do they think that Global Warming is really going to kill our planet so they want another one to screw up???

Is it even possible to pollute the moon? There's no natural life, so you can't kill anything there. The gravity is so low most "pollution" would float away.

Is it even possible to pollute the moon? There's no natural life, so you can't kill anything there. The gravity is so low most "pollution" would float away.

Therefore contaminating space, making the problem bigger :p

I was saying that we have to solve our problems here on Earth first the move on to other things

Therefore contaminating space, making the problem bigger :p

I was saying that we have to solve our problems here on Earth first the move on to other things

perhaps that would solve our problems here though. If say, we did all our nasty polluting things on the moon, where it just drifted off into space somewhere, and didn't do any of it down here on Earth, then our Earthly pollution problems would be solved right?

God, if we start thinking like that, this will be the end to human ventures. Why, even on an Earth level disaster we don't have where to run, do we?
Hey, I wasn't the one coming up with the "no escape" idea. :p

Or do they think that Global Warming is really going to kill our planet so they want another one to screw up???
While the Moon is not exactly a planet, global warming will kill our entire planet, yes. But not that global warming we're making the big fuzz about right now. In about a couple of million years, the sun will be grown so big, it will "shine" over the whole horizon, from left to right. We *have* to leave earth permanently, or else. In fact, we should be on the go in about 100.000 years.

Pollution, however, is not just about having an atmosphere. You can pollute the ground with toxic substances, or radiation, for instance. However, considering the level of radiation or amount of cosmic particles we find in space, I doubt we can pollute or contaminate there anything in the classical sense. However, I would be more than glad if we would see that fire'n'forgetting our crap into outer space is plain irresponsible and shortsighted behaviour, and we do not start with it from the begin with.

Archived