Home

Mods, admins and replying to private messages

On some forums it is a requirement for mods and admins to reply to private messages. This is done so to foster good relations with the members and so that they are seen to be more than just someone to swing the banhammer around, they are seen to actually have an interest in the forum and helping run it smoothly. Should a similar policy be brought in here? Helping people with their issues is part of the job and ignoring them can sour relations between members and those who run the forum.

On some forums it is a requirement for mods and admins to reply to private messages. This is done so to foster good relations with the members and so that they are seen to be more than just someone to swing the banhammer around, they are seen to actually have an interest in the forum and helping run it smoothly. Should a similar policy be brought in here? Helping people with their issues is part of the job and ignoring them can sour relations between members and those who run the forum.

I can only speak for myself, but I generally reply to any PMs I get that I have a response to. Sometimes it may take a while if I am busy or receive many PMs, and sometimes I may forget about it if I have a lot on my mind when I receive it and don't have time to respond immediately.

Keep in mind however that all staff members here are unpaid volunteers who help out with the forums in their free time. Since this is a hobby you can't always expect to get a response within a day or two, especially at times like around Christmas when people may have a lot going on in their lives and keeping up with the forums daily may come low on the priority list.

I'm sure most people here will be willing to take the time to help out if someone PMs them in a civil manner with questions and requests (within reason) as it is. I fail to see what the gain would be to formally require it.

Sure, don't get me wrong, I understand they have lives outside of the forums. I think however, this is only speaking for myself, that by not replying; not just not being able to but simply not bothering, it can sometimes create further problems down the track. If I may give an example, a request for help in dealing with problems gets ignored might make one think that a crucifixion is in the winds.

I would imagine it's very rarely that administrators and moderators don't respond to private messages, and if they don't there's most probably a specific reason for it.

I suspect you personally have observed administrators not responding to your private messages. This is because we do share information, and know that you contacted multiple administrators about the same subject. As such, logic would dictate that we don't all need to respond and address the same query.

LucasForums also has distinct areas which are governed by different administrators. If you contact an administrator who rarely gets involved in a certain area about something pertaining to that area, chances are it'll be immediately forwarded to a relevant administrator.

We most certainly don't just sit here swinging ban hammers around. We share information, and we have a good idea of what's going on in the community despite its size. We definitely don't give people the cold shoulder; we'll make sure the person in question gets a response to their query from someone who can help.

To be honest it is something I have witnessed, on a completely diffirent topic to the one you're thinking. Feel free to PM me about it if you like. I just thought it might be something to consider, but if you maintain your interest in running the forum and helping members, and in all fairness from what I've seen you do, then I'm good.

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

The LF staff are people with their own distinct personalities and are known to have spirited disagreements amongst themselves from time to time. Of course they work that all out in private for the most part. As for me I've learned, through experience, that my personality/thoughts/opinions meshes with some staff members better than others, pretty much the same as how it works for me when dealing with people face-to-face. After 2+ years on these forums I have a pretty good idea of which staff members I can go to with questions or requests for assistance and which ones I'm better off not contacting. Hopefully you are at a point now where you know much the same for yourself. :)

Actually this occured months ago when I asked for help on baiting posts and how to deal with them, because I was told to PM if I had further queries. If I had gotten a reply then many of the problems that had occured would have been avoided.

Nancy, please don't blame others for problems with your posts. You are responsible for your own content, not the staff. There is also considerable evidence of contact with you in the moderator forum from many of us. If you have a problem with someone not PMing you, have you tried to contact that person again? With the forum glitches we've had in recent weeks, it's entirely possible that that person never got the PM to begin with. You're making the assumption that someone chose not to reply to you when instead it could have been something entirely innocuous.

Yeah, I tried to PM multiple times to no avail, seeking help when I was allowing myself to be baited by posts. Am I responsible for the way I acted in light of getting no response? Of course. If I knew then what people such as Darth333 have been kind enough to let me know now a lot of grief could have been spared.

Anyone is free to bring their concerns about a particular moderator to someone else on staff, usually one of the administrators. If it's an admin that's causing issues, then the appropriate person to file a complaint to would be one of the owners. The moderating staff usually polices itself pretty well--we'll usually call someone on inappropriate behavior before it gets out of hand.

Archived